SW Literature for remainder of 2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
SW Literature for remainder of 2017
 PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

So, apparently, only kids and young adults read these days. Other than the upcoming Inferno Squad there are 0, zero, adult novels scheduled/announced for the remainder of 2017. I thought that would change with some announcements at D23...but it didn't. I thought it would change with SDCC...but it didn't. *sigh* It's as if they are afraid to put out any books of substance so as not to "step on the toes" of any "visual" media (movies or tv show(s)). Whereas, pre-Disney, the literature was what drove the story/fandom forward, now they can't really have anything of significance in a book because they want "important" things in the visual media because, well, I guess people/fans just don't read for enjoyment anymore. Perhaps I'm off base, but that's what it looks like to me.

Hey, remember back in the 90's and 2000's when we were getting a new adult novel every few months and knew what to expect about a year out? Ah, the good 'ole days.

Don't get me wrong, I know that they'll release more adult novels just before or after TLJ premieres, but that'll be the novelization. Maybe, and I do hope, that they are working on some novels that deal with things that will be revealed in TLJ, so they don't want to even mention them as to not spoil TLJ? Maybe we'll actually get an adult novel that tells us more about Luke post-RotJ pre-TFA that won't be just in-universe "rumors" and "stories" about Luke (which we know will just be EU stories made to be in-universe "fiction"). To me, that newly announced Luke "Road to TLJ" book is just going to confuse a lot of people.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Given that we have so much in terms of film and TV now, I'm really not surprised that this is the way things are going. It's bittersweet for me because Star Wars is first and foremost a visual experience, but the books really meant a lot to me back in the day. You can sink your teeth into a book in a way you can't with a movie.

Even for me though... I love books, but with all this Star Wars stuff coming out, I don't generally feel the need to read a Star Wars book. I still do occasionally just because I enjoy it, but I don't need to read to get my Star Wars fix anymore because there's always something around the corner. Like it or not the meat of Star Wars will be in the films and TV shows and the books will mostly be filler.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote  

Not completely true. They released a lot of book news today which includes the reveal that Jason Fry will be writing the novelization for The Last Jedi. That's an adult novel and pretty big news as this will be Fry's first adult fiction novel.

There were also reveals for the usual non-fiction fiction books - The Art of The Last Jedi, The Visual Dictionary, The Incredible Cross-sections. Jody Houser will be writing the comic adaptation for Timothy Zahn's Thrawn novel.

And there were a lot of young reader and kids books rounding out all of the announcements. Keep in mind, Del Rey has not been pouring out as many books since the Disney takeover. Right now we are looking at Inferno Squad, Phasma, and The Last Jedi novelization which is about right. They don't put out as many novels as they used to.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I really don't understand why they don't just keep putting out "Legends" books. That seems like a win win. We get what we want, and they don't have to worry about spoiling anything in the "real" canon.

I know that we are sticklers for continuity, but would anyone really care? That was thrown out the window when you just bump canon out of existence and retcon everything, so again, I don't see how it would be worse in any way.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I would love if they could continue the EU canon (still not calling it "Legends"! Razz ), but I can see why that would never happen.

Right off the bat the EU would not be nearly as profitable as it used to be. People often compare the idea of Star Wars having multiple continuities to what Marvel and DC do, but I don't think it's quite comparable. The average "non-fan" can pick up a comic book and not worry too much about continuity. Spider-Man fights some bad guys and saves the day. However, continuity seems much more important for Star Wars, as it's part of a larger narrative, and also knowledge of the events in the new Star Wars films is pretty widespread compared with the continuity in comic books. Lots of people have seen TFA and when something in the book doesn't match up, and people realize that it's an alternate timeline, I think most people will give up and look for a book in the current film timeline instead.

The EU would be a niche market and the readership would get smaller and smaller over time. I can't see the EU getting many new fans, unless by some miracle there's an EU Renaissance at some point in the future. I doubt Disney thinks it's worth their while to cater to a dwindling fanbase.

Disney probably also wants to avoid confusion. I know that the EU books are still out there and confusion is somewhat inevitable, but it's one thing to de-canonize a bunch of stuff and let it slowly die out while making new stuff in a new continuity and another thing to actively work in two continuities, further adding to the mess.

Just talking about this makes me miss the EU though. Sad

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Reep: I think you're missing the ridiculous amount of ongoing plots in comics these days. It's pretty hard to just pick up an issue of Batman or Spider-Man these days, the odds of a standalone issue being what you grab being poor. The plots are ongoing and DC is unnecessarily complicated.

I think it's absolutely possible to have the EU Canon continue while the new one goes on, I just don't think Disney wants to bother.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
@Reep: I think you're missing the ridiculous amount of ongoing plots in comics these days. It's pretty hard to just pick up an issue of Batman or Spider-Man these days, the odds of a standalone issue being what you grab being poor. The plots are ongoing and DC is unnecessarily complicated.

I think it's absolutely possible to have the EU Canon continue while the new one goes on, I just don't think Disney wants to bother.

I stand corrected. I haven't read many current comic books, so I guess my image of them is a little out of date.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The "one canon, one continuity" idea of the old EU was not really reality either. Besides all the stuff that we used to discuss, there were Galaxies and Tales comics that were "what if?" stories, explicitly non canon.

There are a lot of comics now and from what I hear there are a lot of good ones, I'm just not interested in that. It really is just the books that suck.

It's not that no one wants to read books anymore, it's the chicken and the egg. And every big IP puts out crappy books even if no one is reading them. It can't be a real money issue. Disney is more than happy to make everything in the world SW. I don't know what the problem is.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

They're still doing updates to The Old Republic. No novels or comics, but new Legends material is being released.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I don't play TOR, but I just love that one remnant of the EU managed to slip through the Purge. TOR is like the real world version of Obi-Wan or Yoda. Cool

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You should totally play TOR. The stories are really compelling.

When I have spare time, I've been advancing a Jedi Knight character and having a good time doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I may give it a try one of these days. Smile

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote  

You know what bothers me? For whatever reason, be it Disney or Kathleen Kennedy, they've stopped doing any kind of behind-the-scenes making of books. The Making of The Force Awakens book that J.W. Rinzler wrote was cancelled. Then they put someone else on it and cancelled it again. They were doing a Rogue One Making of book and they cancelled that, too. Heck, they even took down J.W. Rinzler's blog were he was talking about what life was like on the Skywalker Ranch and the behind the scenes of publishing there. It's ridiculous. George never clamped down on this. I don't like that that stance has changed now under the new regime.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Skuls: Disney likes to be seen as this happy family that runs like a well-oiled machine. I think they would love to keep the production problems behind Rogue One hidden, and TFA would require acknowledging things like Ford being hurt and negative controversy. They don't want that out there. I think Lucasfilm is into it, I think it's Disney that isn't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That makes sense, Lucas a film maker cared about the craft of filmaking, go figure. Disney doesn't. But again, this is more anti book publishing.

Sorry I just can't help but go on a Disney tirade. I think that they just hate creativity. Their only interest in books is stealing from the public domain and mining it for film rights. Lucas didn't care about books either, but I think it was a case of him letting people do whatever they wanted to. Disney doesn't like doing that either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2