Good Standalone Books/series
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Good Standalone Books/series
 PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Okay, so I'm looking for some books to read so I can somewhat uncover some things that I'm unclear about in the EU. I'm looking for books that don't really require much pre-known knowledge, but would contain useful info, like some things about the Yuuzhan Vong War and other things like that. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. Thanks.
;

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This would be my basic "must read" list for the Expanded Universe:

The Darth Bane Trilogy
Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (standalone)
The Thrawn Trilogy
The Hand of Thrawn Duology
The New Jedi Order (series)
Legacy of the Force (series)
Fate of the Jedi (series)

Again this is just very basic, but if you want an overall view of what the EU is all about these are the ones I would recommend (and the list is already 46 books long!). If you aren't in a rush I'd recommend just picking a point in the timeline (e.g. at the very beginning or immediately after Return of the Jedi etc.) and just take it one book at a time. That's what I did.

Bonus (these are not essential to the overall story at all, but are just very well written and not to be missed imo):
The Medstar Duology
Crosscurrent
Riptide (sequel to Crosscurrent)

As far as having previous knowledge, I honestly don't think the EU is as intimidating to new readers as it's made out to be. The first EU books I read were the Legacy of the Force series, which had 40 years of backstory baggage, and I followed along just fine. The timeline at the beginning of the books is you friend. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Thanks, Reep. This'll give me a good spot to start. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Awesome list! You have that ready to paste at all times? lol

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Haha no. I've just been having an Expanded Universe Renaissance for the last few months. I've been reading some EU every night before I go to bed so it's just been on my mind.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

How about Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines? Although it's set in a series, it's more or less stand alone story about Boba Fett that talks about the history of the Mandalorians from the Republic Commando books and the Vong War.

Also Millenium Falcon is a stand alone that takes place just after Legacy and it recaps that series, as well as the history of the titular ship.

That series kind of sucked, but it did produce at least a couple good books.

Same with Death Star, although I didn't really like that book.

Another two good stand alones from the Clone Wars are Shatterpoint and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. I don't like that time period, but I liked both those books a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Ooh, I forgot about Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Again, not really important to the overall story, but definitely a good read. I still haven't read Shatterpoint...

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Started on the Darth Bane Trilogy last night. It is really good so far. Thank the [Sith] lord for PDF files.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, oh! Pick me, pick me! In my very humble opinion, read the Republic Commando series! It's super disappointing that due to a contract tiff, the series was never completed. But I don't think that discounts from the series entirely. I have personally read it multiple times, and just absolutely love it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Bane: You said you wanted to cover some things that were unclear about the EU. What did you mean by that?

We're just giving you some books we like, but if you are looking for something in particular....

Here's a thread that discusses books by essential continuity, not necessarily quality story:

http://www.eucantina.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1545

Ps. That thread contains my very first post! and I still haven't read X Wing.

Re: Good Standalone Books/series
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Bane wrote:
Okay, so I'm looking for some books to read so I can somewhat uncover some things that I'm unclear about in the EU. I'm looking for books that don't really require much pre-known knowledge, but would contain useful info, like some things about the Yuuzhan Vong War and other things like that. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. Thanks.
;

With regards to the Yuuzhan Vong, I would wholeheartedly recommend reading the first three books in the series: Vector Prime and the Dark Tide duology. Those give great insight into the whole Yuuzhan Vong situation. From there, if you like it, read the rest of the series. If not, then you've only read three books you didn't like instead of 19.

The post-ROTJ EU (Legends continuity) can be tackled pretty easily. For the broad strokes, go with the Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command), the Jedi Academy Trilogy (Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, Champions of the Force), and the Hand of Thrawn Duology (Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future). Some of the rest are good, but by and large aren't essential to know what's going on. You can skip the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy and the Corellian Trilogy pretty easily, as with the Callista books (most of which are panned).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Thanks to everyone for their responses and book recommendations. I've set myself a goal with all of these books. I've put them in order of how I'm going to read them, and I'm going to try to read them all before TFA comes out. Let's see how this turns out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Reepicheep wrote:
This would be my basic "must read" list for the Expanded Universe:

The Darth Bane Trilogy
Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (standalone)
The Thrawn Trilogy
The Hand of Thrawn Duology
The New Jedi Order (series)
Legacy of the Force (series)
Fate of the Jedi (series)

Again this is just very basic, but if you want an overall view of what the EU is all about these are the ones I would recommend (and the list is already 46 books long!). If you aren't in a rush I'd recommend just picking a point in the timeline (e.g. at the very beginning or immediately after Return of the Jedi etc.) and just take it one book at a time. That's what I did.

Bonus (these are not essential to the overall story at all, but are just very well written and not to be missed imo):
The Medstar Duology
Crosscurrent
Riptide (sequel to Crosscurrent)

As far as having previous knowledge, I honestly don't think the EU is as intimidating to new readers as it's made out to be. The first EU books I read were the Legacy of the Force series, which had 40 years of backstory baggage, and I followed along just fine. The timeline at the beginning of the books is you friend. Smile

I agree with "Crosscurrent," a very good book. I have yet to read the "Medstar" duology, but am looking forward to it at some point. Just out of curiosity, what's your (or anyone who's read them) thought on the "Medstar" books?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I thought they were great. It's been quite a while since I read them, but reading a story told from a war surgeon's perspective was very unusual (in a good way!) for Star Wars. It's a bit like M*A*S*H in space. Razz

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I don't think some of the folks here are old enough to get the M*A*S*H reference. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2