Wendig's *gag* Life Debt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wendig's *gag* Life Debt
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm sure you can tell by the title that I'm not a fan of Wendig. I listened to Aftermath. It was difficult to listen, took a long time to get into it. It was ok, but I didn't really care for it too much. I did enjoy Mr. Bones.

Has anyone read Life Debt? I'm reading mixed reviews. I understand that he upped the ante on the homosexuality, which is one reason I'm not really wanting to read the book. He seems like the type of author to try to cram his beliefs/values down the reader's throat. I just don't need or want to deal with that.

One commenter said that he borrowed a lot from old books. Does that mean there is more old EU stuff re-canonized?

If anyone has read the book, could you please post a spoiler-filled summary of the events, important points/details, etc.? If you don't want to post, could you PM me?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Remember the days when we had gay characters like Goran Beviin and female characters like Jaina Solo and Mara Jade and it was all just taken for granted? It wasn't considered "edgy" or "progressive" and if people didn't like those characters for whatever reason, they weren't immediately called a "sexist" or a "homophobe"? I miss those days.

Anyway, slightly off-topic rant. I've heard Life Debt is an improvement on Aftermath in that it involves events that are more important to the larger Star Wars story. I still haven't read either.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Reep: I got about 100 pages in or so. It's got more to do with the overall universe by a small degree, but it's still horrendously written. I know Wendig thinks he's being artistic and bold by writing in the present tense but he doesn't have the chops to pull it off. On top of that his behavior is shameful enough that I actively encourage people to ignore his writing. He's a disgrace to Star Wars literature and he's a disgrace to the groups he's claiming to champion by hiding his terrible writing behind them.

/rant.

Re: Wendig's *gag* Life Debt
 PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:27 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Skywalker2B wrote:

Has anyone read Life Debt? I'm reading mixed reviews. I understand that he upped the ante on the homosexuality, which is one reason I'm not really wanting to read the book. He seems like the type of author to try to cram his beliefs/values down the reader's throat. I just don't need or want to deal with that.

Taking a stance against is just moral/belief/value as being pro-homosexuality. You're a Christian. These beliefs are important to you. Even though you disagree with him, Chuck Wendig has the right to believe (and publish) whatever he wants. What characters do at bedtime doesn't faze me, but I'm opposed to censorship, even if those beliefs disagree with mine.

Beard lovin' Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote  

I didn't like Aftermath. I really enjoyed the interludes, but there were some issues with story that hurt my enjoyment of it.

It took me a while to warm up to Life Debt. The first 100 pages, it was okay, but sometime after that, I started enjoying the book, and by the end, I liked it. I thought it was a lot better than Aftermath.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

No one here has really answered my original question, but I did some digging and found a fairly spoiler filled synopsis of the book. Since I'm not a big fan of Han and Chewie, most of the book doesn't interest me. I was interested in the small tidbits about Leia and the new main baddie (mainly for possible links to the OT and ST). So, I think I'll spare myself the hours of listening to Wendig's writing style.

Btw, his writing style is the main reason why I don't like his books. I also didn't care for the story, or the characters (mainly from Aftermath). The homosexual stuff goes against my faith, so I choose not to read/listen/watch stuff promoting that...and for those wondering, I also choose not to read/listen/watch other stuff that goes against my faith it's not just homosexuality. I'm not saying that Wendig, or any other author, can't write what they want. I'm just saying that I choose not to read it. I'm not oppressing anyone or forcing my beliefs/faith on anyone, but I also don't want to be oppressed or have other's beliefs/faith forced on me. That's all.

The thread was just a request for information. I found what I wanted, so I'll skip Life Debt and wait for Catalyst.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skywalker2B wrote:
Btw, his writing style is the main reason why I don't like his books. I also didn't care for the story, or the characters (mainly from Aftermath). The homosexual stuff goes against my faith, so I choose not to read/listen/watch stuff promoting that...and for those wondering, I also choose not to read/listen/watch other stuff that goes against my faith it's not just homosexuality. I'm not saying that Wendig, or any other author, can't write what they want. I'm just saying that I choose not to read it. I'm not oppressing anyone or forcing my beliefs/faith on anyone, but I also don't want to be oppressed or have other's beliefs/faith forced on me. That's all.

That makes perfect sense to me. It's the kind of attitude I see distressingly little today, especially on the internet. If you don't like a movie, book etc. you don't have to read it! The whole witch-hunt/call for things to be banned or shut down as soon as something is released that people don't like really distresses me. Unless my generation can learn to tolerate difference of opinion, I fear for freedom of speech in the future.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1