Millenium Falcon by James Luceno Discussion (Spoilers!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I agree. Jedi Twilight, much as I ended up liking it, greatly annoyed me with its millions of introductions to as many characters. It caused the poor book to creep along with agonizing slowness for the first 200 pages. And you couldn't get much story accomplished after the fact...but it's a trilogy, so that's okay. So anyway, point...hopefully MF will keep it simple and just give us an awesome story. Here's hoping! Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I hope Luceno makes the elder Solos at least to show some regret and feel shame over their activities and what they said during LotF. Especially Han - he should be made to wash his mouth with soap as the saying goes. He was truly appalling in LotF after Betrayal (minus Sacrifice, where he didn't really appear at all) - and even in that novel there was his strange, newly found Corellian patriotism - and I hope Luceno can do something to redeem his character.

Or show to us that in Bloodlines it was Han who was shot in the office of his cousin Thrackan, who then stole his identity... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I hope Luceno makes the elder Solos at least to show some regret and feel shame over their activities and what they said during LotF. Especially Han - he should be made to wash his mouth with soap as the saying goes. He was truly appalling in LotF after Betrayal (minus Sacrifice, where he didn't really appear at all) - and even in that novel there was his strange, newly found Corellian patriotism - and I hope Luceno can do something to redeem his character.

They had every right to be mad at their son. He shot and them and his friends, for goodness sake. He wasn't innocent and while death was extreme, it was by no means off the charts insane. I realize you feel bad for Jacen, and so do I, but only he can be at blame for his actions.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

True to some extent - Vergere and Lumiya at least do share much of the blame for his actions- but the same goes with his parents and their actions. And they weren't their normal selves in most of LotF. Han especially was horrible. Here was a man who couldn't really kill anyone in cold-blood (at least since Daley's novels) ready to get his son killed in awful circumstances. He couldn't even kill Thrackan when the time came, nor Nom Anor, but when it came to his son, it was quite easy for him to join the chorus that called for Jacen's death.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote  

I think if Han had ever gotten to the point where his finger was actually on the trigger, he would have backed down. With Han he always put on a strong front and often wanted to finish off an opponent, but he always caught himself at the last moment. That deep shred of goodness in his core keeps him from going all the way. Somehow the inner core got eliminated from Jacen, perhaps purged by Lumiya or even by his own actions.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
And they weren't their normal selves in most of LotF. Han especially was horrible. Here was a man who couldn't really kill anyone in cold-blood (at least since Daley's novels) ready to get his son killed in awful circumstances

Oh, I agree; they weren't themselves, but it doesn't mean they were wrong. Han was acting a little rash and I have no doubt that, as DS, he would have not shot Jacen dead given the chance. Jaina had the hardest thing in the world to ever do, and she did it because she knew in her heart Jacen was no longer the brother she knew and loved.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

See, I don't see Han killing Jacen because of the scene in Invincible with the Moffs. After the supposed death of his granddaughter he had every right to be angry and violent towards them. Luke and Saba even backed away and told him to shoot 2 of them if it'd make him feel better, but he couldn't do it. Even in his moments where he's angry and trigger-happy he is still rational and compassionate. He couldn't kill Thracken, he couldn't kill the moffs, and I really doubt he could've killed Jacen. He did, however, see the necessity for killing Caedus.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Except there wasn't a necessity to kill Jacen as it turned out. And frankly, even if the Jedi thought so, why Denning had to make his parents think so both in Inferno and in Invincible? The opposition of the elder Solos wouldn't have had to change anything and would have left them looking more humane... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Except there wasn't a necessity to kill Jacen as it turned out.

One good act does not repent someone's many acts of horrible deeds. I have no doubt Jacen was only doing that deed anyway to save Allana; it doesn't mean he wouldn't continue being the Sith he was. If he truly wanted to be redeemed, he would have stopped himself, much like his grandfather. Redemption is a two person act; think of Vader and Luke. I'm a strong, strong believer in it, but it's useless if you have to force someone.

It's also not like Jacen wasn't given the chance-- he was by Luke a few times.

Quote:
The opposition of the elder Solos wouldn't have had to change anything and would have left them looking more humane..

The only inhumane thing was Jacen, not his parents. If your kid is going around killing innocents, firing on your and your daughter and friends, etc., it's not about being family it's about being moral. Bloodline doesn't mean that you should stand by someone in your family who is wrong. Han and Leia were correct in their general disdain, although I will say Han said some pretty harsh things. In the end, Jaina did what was right with the knowledge she had.

So, what do we think of the cover and the blurb?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:56 am Reply with quote  

Well looks like the Falcon ran into some Imperial problems. Maybe they're not done with the Moffs yet. I'm not really sure why the Imps would be firing on the Falcon, especially with Jag as their new leader.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Remember, this is a look in to the past as well as the present of the Falcon. We all know that Lando and Han we never friends of the Empire....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I like the cover, though I tend to want to think it's a little...boring, to me. But then I honestly can't figure out why I get that impression. I mean...it's a nice cover! Hmm...it'll come to me eventually.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm taking the cover with a pinch of salt, so I don't expect the scene in it to feature in the novel itself... It's a disappointing cover though, as they had a real artist doing it and it looks like they could have saved his salary, because it doesn't look like much effort has gone in it, certainly not what one would expect from a professional artist.

What comes to the summary, I hope it's misleading, and MF does do the repair work for Invincible that it needs. Like tells us what they did with Jacen's body.

GA has it's own Imperial-style Star Destroyers and probably several other minor governments too. And even if these would be IR Star Destroyers, their commanders could have gone rogue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

What comes to the summary, I hope it's misleading, and MF does do the repair work for Invincible that it needs. Like tells us what they did with Jacen's body.

I've honestly never wondered about that, but to each his own. That would be interesting to hear about.

GA has it's own Imperial-style Star Destroyers and probably several other minor governments too. And even if these would be IR Star Destroyers, their commanders could have gone rogue.

I still think it's showing a scene with Han, Leia and Allana learn of or are told about the Falcon's past.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I really wish Allana was on the cover. The colours are awsome though. Star Destroyers? Should be interesting.
I'm so excited for MF now that we have a cover.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 6 of 9