Interesting Political News

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
Interesting Political News
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So, here I was getting ready for a final and someone mentions Bush dodging two shoes thrown at him. I saw the video and couldn't help but be impress at how fast the President dodged this attack! But am I the only one who thought the Secret Service was way too slow at responding? That guy should not have even gotten a second shoe off and thrown, but he managed too. I hope the Secret Service is rethinking their reaction time and are lucky it wasn't a gun or some other weapon (yes, I know they do screening, but still). At least they got the guy. Any thoughts?

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I thought the same thing, that the secret service seemed slow. I read how the Secret Service are trained to shoot at sounds and their general extraordinary abilities. I was surprised, maybe they are only trained to react to gunshots.

I was impressed by Bush's reaction, he has good reflexes! I would have liked it if he threw his own shoes back at the guy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Bush is quick for his age! Yeah, the service needs to step it up a notch.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I heard about that. If all news was this interesting I might actually watch it. Laughing

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote  

What I found most interesting was reading an article that explained what the guy had shouted and how the shoes had a deeper cultural significance.

I don't have the link to the article but basically the guy called Bush a dog, which is a serious insult to Arabs because they view dogs as unclean (I think it basically would be like calling someone a pig). According to the article it is a serious insult to show someone the soles of your feet (much less step on them or an image). So basically the two combined is just about the worst insult he could have made.

On a side note thanks to the article explaining the significance of the dog insult I now understand at the end of The Last Crusade why it is so funny when Sallah exclaims "you were named after the dog?" upon learning that Indiana was the name of Indy's dog.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was also suprised at the fact this guy managed to throw two shoes before anything happened.

Last edited by Autobon on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote  

Two points for Bush. First point: he dodged the shoes with catlike reflexes. Second point: seeing the second shoe coming, he calmly waited for it to be thrown.

And HOLY CRAP! Where was the secret service? Those could've been shoe bombs!

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well, we have to remember: the secret service's primary duty isn't, and never has been, the protection of the President. Their main duty is the protection of the federal banks and such. That said, they should have been faster regardless. Bush may not be the best President, nor the worse, but he sure is quick!

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I heard about this, but haven't seen the video yet. Will view that in a moment.

As for your insight into the end of Last Crusade, Salaris, I never would have thought of that! Now it makes so much more sense! Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Some would laugh at throwing shows, but when you explain the significance of this in their culture, it is a different story. I won't get into where Bush falls into best/worst President, but to see him so vulnerable was disturbing; even if the secret service started off as protecting banks and such, they've evolved into something more, and I don't see what their original purpose has to do with their slow reaction time, but it was something new to learn that I didn't know before Smile

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 1 of 1