Fate of the Jedi 1: Outcast by Aaron Allston
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

...or not. Okay, when I get the book I'll let you know. No more predictions. And wow, Caedus, how long did that take?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
...or not. Okay, when I get the book I'll let you know. No more predictions. And wow, Caedus, how long did that take?

4 hours. Kinda embarrassing actually, cause I read INVINCIBLE in an hour and a half. I pride myself in my reading speed and comprehension, but I'm really outta practice considering since the aforementioned read I hadn't tried to read anything like that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

And I thought my sister read fast...how is that even possible?! I mean...you can't possibly read every word on the page...can you? Do you skip things, like articles? Wow...you've blown my mind.

I have an annoying habit of reading every single word in a book. I'll even turn back a page if I missed the last word on the page before, even if it was 'the'. It drives me crazy, but I can't help it. Doesn't help me comprehend the book any better, though, because I'll have forgotten what happened faster than my sister will, who can read the book in a day. It takes me at least three. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm the same way re: speed reading. I finished Outcast in about 3 hours. If the books is written well, and you are familiar with the elements in a story aka the SW universe, comprehension is already ingrained. Speed reading is something I honed in college. It's very useful when you want to do something, but have a gargantuan pile of material to read! Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

MandyB wrote:
I'm the same way re: speed reading. I finished Outcast in about 3 hours. If the books is written well, and you are familiar with the elements in a story aka the SW universe, comprehension is already ingrained. Speed reading is something I honed in college. It's very useful when you want to do something, but have a gargantuan pile of material to read! Laughing Laughing

Yeah, I'm in my third year of college and its come in really handy to be able to speed read. Makes homework or writing papers a snap (cause with the reading comes the grammar Very Happy) But yeah, see I'm like you MandyB I read fast. I'm outta practice though. Need to go back and take a Sunday and try for the whole Coruscant nights trilogy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote  

Me, I like to enjoy a book. I dive into the environment and characters and submerse myself in another world. The more time it takes me, the longer my trip Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Woah, Caedus, that's amazing. I know what you mean, Mara, I always think, 'If I miss a word I haven't read the book.'

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Me, I like to enjoy a book. I dive into the environment and characters and submerse myself in another world. The more time it takes me, the longer my trip Very Happy

I'm with you, DS. It's not a race to finish for me.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Son Of Skywalker wrote:
I'm with you, DS. It's not a race to finish for me.

Its not really a race for me either, its just how I've learned to read. When I was little my first book was One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish and then it was straight on to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at the age of 6. I read it in 3 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My gosh, boy. If there wasn't such a thing as a reading prodigy before, there certainly is now. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
My gosh, boy. If there wasn't such a thing as a reading prodigy before, there certainly is now. Wink

Haha I should take a reading apprentice Razz I could be the Dark Lord of the Reading Comprehension and they could crave my knowledge lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote  

You could run a Sith Library and be the Master of Sith Lore. Your apprentice would usurp you by reading faster than you Laughing

Now as for Outcast, do you think we might actually "see" Karrde come into play? Maybe he could be the one to help Luke and Ben contact the Aing-Tii. It was nice of Allston to give him a mention, but I'd really like to see him get some dialog.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth Skuldren wrote:
You could run a Sith Library and be the Master of Sith Lore. Your apprentice would usurp you by reading faster than you Laughing

Now as for Outcast, do you think we might actually "see" Karrde come into play? Maybe he could be the one to help Luke and Ben contact the Aing-Tii. It was nice of Allston to give him a mention, but I'd really like to see him get some dialog.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out. *Not a spoiler, Just speculative* I wonder if he blames Luke for Mara's death. Maybe he will refuse to help them find the Aing-Tii folks, b/c he doesn't want Ben involved or something like that, Either way we've got 8 more books...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, Karrde's back? I was never a huge fan of him, but it will be neat how he reacts to Mara...

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Is he back? I didn't notice him, actually.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 36 of 38