Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I doubt KOTOR MMO will resemble Guild Wars when it comes to payments, but will be a run of the mill MMO. So, it will probably cost 12.99-14.99 dollars a month.

I can bear that, but I hope that Sony doesn't get to handle the game as it has handled Galaxies. Sony has been pretty inept.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I'm betting that Bioware might use its own Austin team to actually run the game like SOE does now for SWG, but I could be wrong. The best part about SWG is how often game people talk with players and their connection with the fans.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Here's what the back of the invite to the media event on October 21 looks like:

Interesting that they put years, considering their joint operation has only been known about for less than a year (The press released for it was issued on October, 30, 2007). Looking forward to learning what it is-- Kotor MMO or not.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If anyone had even the slightest doubt this is a KOTOR game, they no longer do now. That last picture clearly has a lightsaber on it.

I know this has been brought up a million times already, but still, i am really hoping for a guild wars type mmo, where they dont charge you to play.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Guild Wars -style would be good, but I don't think there's any chance of that for KOTOR MMO. At best they might try to save Galaxies and make it to ditch the monthly free.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The other image with the news post at EUCantina.net says KOTOR to me very, very much. I've never considered playing MMOs but this one and one other being worked on out there are definitely calling me. I'm excited to hear what LucasArts and Bioware have to say come the 21st! Smile

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wait, Aush, what other one? Did i miss something?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Aush is referring to the front, as seen below.

Yes, the lettering is Kotor game lettering.

Rogue, do you know why MMOs have monthly fees?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Simply for profits. Making a polished MMO costs enormous amounts of money - Mythic boss (makers of Warhammer Online) recently claimed that making a big MMO costs 50 million dollars, so about the same as a big Hollywood movie - and monthly fees help to bring back that money and they also guarantee a certain amount of steady income, even a rather normal MMO with few hundred thousand subscribers will bring millions of dollars of income each year. Simply, a normal game is bought just once by a person, and the income of the companies which make them is concentrated on just a few months after the release of the game, a year's subscribtion to MMO will over double the income per player, and thus the company is on a better financial ground as it makes it new products.

But lots of MMOs don't have fees and few have had to give them up because of lack of subscribers. Those MMOs just tend to be far less polished, like Indie movies compared to that Hollywood behemoth that games like WoW, WAR, AoC and probably also KOTOR MMO will be. So, KOTOR MMO will not probably get as much interest from the mainstream press as Clone Wars movie and cartoons, but it's probably a bigger financial gambit than CW movie and cartoons.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Actually, from what I understand, it's for the team that works every day on the game-- updates it, goes to conventions, updates the site, talks to gamers, etc. They need to be paid too, don't they? Games that don't have monthly fees, from what I've seen, also don't have the community managers, the updates, the devs, etc. that SWG, for example has. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that having a monthly fee helps the gamer as well as the game publisher.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's true, but some of the more ambitious MMO's without fees have some of the same stuff as those with fees - beyond the legion of mostly South Korean free MMOs, Dreamlords and PoxNora come to my mind quickly - and on the other hand, few of those with fees have rather modest amount of support personnel. Jumpgate is the older cousin of EVE Online and exists in it's shadow and has the usual Elite stuff. It's publisher failed soon after release and the developers are running the game. I remember reading that at one point there were just four people working on the game more or less full time, until it got more interest and a new version, Jumpgate Evolution - which is coming out in early next year - was started to be developed. Yet Jumpgate has a monthly fee, 9.95 dollars.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Son Of Skywalker wrote:
Games that don't have monthly fees, from what I've seen, also don't have the community managers, the updates, the devs, etc. that SWG, for example has.

Yes but even games like Call of Duty for example have people constantly working on them. They re-balance weapons, create new content such as maps and campaigns, help run the online portion etc. Those games dont have monthly subscriptions.

Of course i am not in the game business so i dont know much about their situation. What i do know though, is that i as a consumer dont want to pay monthly subscriptions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Few want to do so, but the trick of course is that for really to hit the gold vein the developer and publisher must make people to forget that reluctance, crave more and be ready to pay that fee, And if they do achieve that, they are in financial heaven, like Blizzard.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
What i do know though, is that i as a consumer dont want to pay monthly subscriptions.

You think I do? Nope, but that doesn't mean I'll moan and groan about it. I understand why it's there and since no one has a gun to my head making me play the game, I'm not worried about it We don't even know if it will have one at this point anyway.

Quote:
And if they do achieve that, they are in financial heaven, like Blizzard.

Indeed, and it's a business and they need to survive too. Bioware, or SOE, or any other company isn't evil for making us pay the fee, it's trying to support itself. It cost a lot of money to hire staff writers, devs, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, I know. I completely understand why they charge and don't fault them in the least. But now I just have to convince myself to pay it. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Page 3 of 38