Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris, you are officially my bestest friend! Just walked out of Gamestop with my prize. Serious. They weren't advertising it, and they were hiding them in the back. Had to ask. So happy! Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote  

Awesome! I'm glad you nabbed one! Very Happy Do you know what server you will be playing on?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

TOR-tanic has pissed me off. I will not go back even if it is now free. They only care about the PvP player that is why it is so easy to get to 50lvl. There latest act of we only want to be WOW in space is the news that comes out 2 weeks before SW CVI. They are polling out and will not send anyone to the biggest SW show of the year. Yet they bad it to Comic-Con and are going to Game-Con, where there PvP player base is. There statement that they are going to reward there true fans and that ended up being the fans that made it to 50lvl and were screaming for more end stuff. Not the people that waited for years looking for every little thing that came out about the game and then saved up to get the biggest package then the longest subscription. The whole game is on rails and if you go off them you have a hard time getting to the next lvl. Why because they wanted you to go out and play only the way they wanted you to play and that is PvP. Donít get me wrong I have nothing against PvP'ers. I just am not one and most high end MMO know this and when this much money is put in to a game they try to make the PvE and RP's happy too. There is no place on any world that a friend that is on the other side and I can RP without being attacked. Even on the RP worlds. I loved KotOR and wanted so bad for this to have that feel to it. But this is nothing more than WOW in space. *sad*

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote  

Might one ask what kind of server do you play on? I only play on PvE servers and I've never had any PvP problems or found the PvE content lacking. On those servers I've never felt that the game directed me towards PvP or in any other way forced me to do PvP (granted I haven't gotten to end-game worlds yet which I hear might have a more open-world PvP focus/potential). The "game on rails" bit where you can't go off the beaten path feels very much like KOTOR if you ask me, but then I've been spoiled by true open world games like The Elder Scrolls series so virtually everything else feels like it is on rails.

Perhaps it is a problem with the server you are on/the community that inhabits that server?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sadly, I've just realized this won't be free to play until November. So I'll have to wait, as I can't really spend the money right now. Fall usually means like September to me, so that's somewhat disappointing. But it will come. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote  

correct me if I'm wrong Mara but doesn't the Collector's Edition include 30 days of play time?

To my knowledge there is no circumstances where they will erase your characters for not subscribing immediately or letting a subscription lapse. I've let my subscription expire when I knew I wouldn't have the time to play and not lost any of my character progress or anything and was able to pick right back up when I resubscribed.

At any rate it is your call and I'm not trying to pressure you (so please don't take it that way!)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You know, Salaris, that's true. I'd forgotten about the free month! And this week is the perfect time to start, because I'm off of work for a week, so to speak, to do some online training. Which gives me a lot more game playing time. So on that note, I may just fire it up tomorrow evening. Will have to see how demanding my training is, but otherwise I'll look to give it a try.

And I'll probably be on here asking lots of questions, because I've honestly never played an MMO before. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote  

I hope you have a blast Mara! You might want to take a glance at this thread on the TOR forum which has links to all the new comer guides:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=348106

It would probably be a bit overwhelming to try to look through everything without ever having played the game but hopefully some of the subjects will help get you set to play and/or be useful to refer to as you get used to playing.

Another thing I would really recommend is joining a server where you already have friends on that server (unlike an FPS game like Battlefront your characters are attached to a specific server and there currently isn't a feature to let you freely transfer characters from server to server). Not that the game is unplayable soloing (I've done a fair share of soloing) but having friends on the server already can help if you get stuck on a quest or want people to do quests with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm on Prophecy of the Five and on The Ebon Hawk. Where is everyone else?
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote  

I play on Jedi Convenant, it's a PvE server.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alright, I've registered! I certainly hope I receive a free month, because they mention it absolutely nowhere except in the very fine print on the FAQ page. I will protest vehemently if I am charged. But anyway.

So I know nothing about the different servers. Is there a reason to pick a certain one? I understand about playing with friends on a certain server, but are there any other considerations?

Edit: Well good grief, it takes an act of Congress to get this game set up. Still waiting. And now that I've read up on the servers, I definitely want to play on a PvE. I think I'll just join yours, Salaris. Since now I'll know somebody on the server. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I caved Embarassed .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yay! You can be a newbie with me. I have to admit the game is pretty intimidating at first. I've played through KOTOR and KOTOR II a billion times, so at least I'm used to the RPG aspect. But TOR is different enough to throw me off. There are so many buttons! And I'm confused about what to do half the time. All this right-clicking is not what I'm used to. I want to just click on it, ha.

I feel like such a newbie. Sad

I'm going to write down a list of questions the next time I play through (probably at lunch today) and post them here. Smile

Edit: So you can't have spaces in your name? Lame. And how does one change their name? I didn't realize it wouldn't recognize capitilization, so my name looks stupid. I would like to change it, but I'm assuming it cannot be done. May just start the character over, since I've kind of botched this one up anyway. We'll see.

Edit Dos: So I believe I'm understanding that you are able to "unlock" your Legacy name? That being your surname. So no spaces in your name is intentional, as you're only supposed to have a first name. This makes sense, but greatly limits the variation available for names. For instance: Jayda Kha'dar may be available, but Jayda most certainly is not. So I'm stuck with having to come up with something more clever. Bummer. Neutral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote  

You are indeed correct that you unlock the Legacy name. Specifically when one of your characters complete Chapter 1 of their quest line (the Legacy name then applies to all the characters so you don't have to re-unlock it with subsequent ones). How long that takes depends greatly on the player, if you power through the main quest line and ignore side quests you'll obviously get it faster than someone (like me) who does every single side quest that crosses their path.

To my knowledge you just have to erase the character if you want a name change. Have you tried variations like "Jaida" or "Jaydaa"?

As for movement what I find most easy was using the keyboard for movement and the mouse to select targets (easier than using the mouse to move like in KOTOR). It helps a lot later in game when you may need to move around while fighting.

I probably won't be on until tomorrow (Wednesday) but my main character is a level 40 Jedi Shadow named Guilhem. I also have a low level smuggler called Tarrs. If you want I'd be happy team up with you using either character. (which character I use depends on whether you want high level back-up or have a buddy that is evenly matched with the enemies you face)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm looking at the price, and it's £8.99 instead of £44.99...

When (if) I get my Mac partitioned, I'll probably get this.

Edit: I may as well get the Deluxe edition, it's only £3 more expensive.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

Page 29 of 37