Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So has anyone started playing (or finished, for that matter) the new Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion? I'm four chapters into it with my first character. I am enjoying the story, but...it's moving too quickly, I'm leveling far too fast, and I don't like that I can't group for most of it. My husband and I have had to play 98% of it separately. We have always enjoyed the fact that we can play TOR together, and this has been a bit annoying. Neutral

Also, why is it so easy? It's gotten old that I am invincible. I haven't had to worry about dying since 2012. Characters are just super leveled at this point unless in an Operation. I mean...I don't want it to be incredibly difficult, but some challenge would be nice for a change. As it is, I can get up and leave to get a snack during a boss fight, and they'll all be dead when I get back. A literal example of this is the Revan fight in the Shadow of Revan expansion. You can actually get up and leave for about ten minutes and come back to it being done.

I just want to exercise a little more strategy. Like actually needing a healer, for example. I don't think that's too much to ask.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Time for my rant. I am so disappointed in the 4.0 changes. The game is just becoming dumber and dumber to play. And by dumber, I mean there is no challenge. You can pretty much play TOR asleep these days. We've been seeing that more and more, but 4.0 really did away with any challenges that remained.

1. Heroic 4's are now Heroic 2's, but as far as I can tell, they can be soloed with absolutely no effort.
2. Leveling is insanely easy. They've increased the XP for class quests so significantly, you don't even have to complete any other quests in the game. This also means you level so quickly that you are a god no matter where you go.
3. They've introduced planetary level enforcement, where you are supposedly dropped to the level of the planet you are visiting. This effect was supposed to make it more fun to visit old planets, so you would have a challenge. But this does not work at all. You can still smack around anything that wants to bother you, even Heroic bosses.
4. Grouping is all but nonexistent in the expansion, meaning my husband and I have little interest in playing it since we like playing together. TOR has always been exceptional in its catering to groups, so this hurts.
5. Datacrons are now legacy wide, meaning you can only experience the fun of finding them once. After that there's no point. And that was something I really enjoyed completing on each character. I suppose I am probably the only that thinks that is a bad thing.
6. The level was raised yet again by 5 levels, but you can make them in just a few hours. Why?
7. You can create a character already at 60 and skip leveling altogether. I don't understand...?

The game is becoming more and more a solo only experience. I thought this was an MMO. Why have all the MMOs recently become single players online? The dynamics of Tank, DPS and Healer are laughable now, because you don't need them. You can solo the entire way from 0 - 65. And you can group if you want to, but you won't have a chance to exercise your role, because everything will be dead before you throw a heal.

Very disappointed in the direction the game has taken. My interest is lackluster at best. There is just no skill anymore. For example, I played a Flashpoint on New Year's Eve and gained 5 levels in less than 45 minutes! That's ridiculous. It makes me not want to play Flashpoints, which I love, because I'll outlevel everything I was doing prior.

I play TOR for many reasons, but one of them was the challenge of raising each character to the top. I learned my character and grew attached to them as we made our way through the game. I found that unique about TOR. As much as I love the Elder Scrolls games, I couldn't care less about my character. But I loved the dynamic of TOR making me care about my character as we leveled. Now it's all so easy and so fast, I don't have time for that.

I'm still playing, for now, but it's just not the same. Don't know how much longer I will last. Heath has already pretty much stopped playing. It's sad to see it go.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

1. Heroic 4's are now Heroic 2's, but as far as I can tell, they can be soloed with absolutely no effort.

I think that change was honestly done due to difficulty finding groups. I honestly stopped doing most heroics while leveling because it was super hard to get a group of 4 together.

Quote:

2. Leveling is insanely easy. They've increased the XP for class quests so significantly, you don't even have to complete any other quests in the game. This also means you level so quickly that you are a god no matter where you go.

I understand how leveling has become super easy. Honestly though I don't notice anything remarkably different from pre-4.0 since you could easily outlevel a planet, the main difference seems to me that outleveling a planet no longer impacts your XP gain. Whether that's a good or bad thing I'm unsure and still formulating my opinion on.

Quote:
3. They've introduced planetary level enforcement, where you are supposedly dropped to the level of the planet you are visiting. This effect was supposed to make it more fun to visit old planets, so you would have a challenge. But this does not work at all. You can still smack around anything that wants to bother you, even Heroic bosses.

Personally I thought it was one of the best changes of 4.0. yeah having level 65 abilities means you can kill most mobs in a few hits but they can now hurt you back (which they couldn't do before). To me it at least feels like you're more involved in an actual galaxy rather than pre-4.0 where it made no sense why a Sith Master on Taris couldn't hurt you but a Sith Master on Corellia could. Pre-4.0 it felt more like each planet was a "chapter" that was part of a linear story progression and not meant to be returned to.

I would've liked it if they made it more of a challenge, so in that way I agree with you, but I think they had their hands tied since there would be a lot of rage on the forum if the devs took away people's "god mode" on low level planets. (I think there were a few threads on the official forums of people bemoaning how they'd lost their god mode ability to steamroll low level mobs post-4.0).

Quote:
4. Grouping is all but nonexistent in the expansion, meaning my husband and I have little interest in playing it since we like playing together. TOR has always been exceptional in its catering to groups, so this hurts.

I'd partially blame the community for this. From what I've seen the community can be outright hostile to newbs who don't know what's going on (sort of mirroring the real world Catch 22 where to get a job you need experience but to get experience you need a job). I've also personally experienced hostility towards grouping to play a FP for story (I actually got kicked for not wanting to spacebar cutscenes in an FP story mode; most times I use group finder to do an FP someone is asking to spacebar and likely to get upset if someone wants to watch cutscenes). I think the devs made this choice because the community can be so hostile to grouping for story that making it specifically solo oriented was a logical design choice.

Now they could've done it better by making it group or solo oriented like planetary quests. But I do think the devs made the solo focused choice because of the community's hostility to grouping with pugs to do story.

Quote:

5. Datacrons are now legacy wide, meaning you can only experience the fun of finding them once. After that there's no point. And that was something I really enjoyed completing on each character. I suppose I am probably the only that thinks that is a bad thing.

Honestly I loved this. I basically never did datacrons because I didn't have the time to invest finding them for every character. Now I've actually set about getting the ones I missed because I feel like them being legacy wide is an incentive.

That being said I think they should've made it an legacy option you could choice to unlock or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Salaris Vorn wrote:
I think that change was honestly done due to difficulty finding groups. I honestly stopped doing most heroics while leveling because it was super hard to get a group of 4 together.

I can understand this, it was difficult at times. But I also loved running Heroics. Actually having to utilize crowd control and your designated role of Tank, DPS or Heals was always super fun. I miss that. Sad

Salaris Vorn wrote:
I understand how leveling has become super easy. Honestly though I don't notice anything remarkably different from pre-4.0 since you could easily outlevel a planet, the main difference seems to me that outleveling a planet no longer impacts your XP gain. Whether that's a good or bad thing I'm unsure and still formulating my opinion on.

The difference, to me, being that you still couldn't advance to planets if you hadn't completed the majority of the quests. Sure, if you were a completionist you would outlevel everything. But there was still a sense of requirement to completing most quests, because you couldn't advance on a class only beeline. Granted, it had been getting easier and easier all the time, but 4.0 really flipped the switch.

Salaris Vorn wrote:
I would've liked it if they made it more of a challenge, so in that way I agree with you, but I think they had their hands tied since there would be a lot of rage on the forum if the devs took away people's "god mode" on low level planets. (I think there were a few threads on the official forums of people bemoaning how they'd lost their god mode ability to steamroll low level mobs post-4.0).

It really was a losing situation by messing with that. You're right that the forums would have ripped them for it. But if they were going to do it, I wish they had done it right, where there would actually be some peril. But there isn't. I'm wandering around on Taris smacking Champions with no effort. Sure, they can hurt me, but not enough to worry about. I shouldn't be able to defeat a Champion that easily at level.

Salaris Vorn wrote:
I'd partially blame the community for this. From what I've seen the community can be outright hostile to newbs who don't know what's going on (sort of mirroring the real world Catch 22 where to get a job you need experience but to get experience you need a job). I've also personally experienced hostility towards grouping to play a FP for story (I actually got kicked for not wanting to spacebar cutscenes in an FP story mode; most times I use group finder to do an FP someone is asking to spacebar and likely to get upset if someone wants to watch cutscenes). I think the devs made this choice because the community can be so hostile to grouping for story that making it specifically solo oriented was a logical design choice.

Now they could've done it better by making it group or solo oriented like planetary quests. But I do think the devs made the solo focused choice because of the community's hostility to grouping with pugs to do story.

You're right about that, I have also been kicked out of a Flashpoint for refusing to spacebar the cutscenes. But I also got into a odd group once that kicked the guy asking to spacebar the scenes, because the rest of us didn't want to, and he wouldn't stop asking. That was fun. Haha.

All I meant here, though, was having the option to group, just like you do on any regular quest. It doesn't have to be mandatory, but we should be able to group and play through together. But we can't. Sad

Salaris Vorn wrote:
Honestly I loved this. I basically never did datacrons because I didn't have the time to invest finding them for every character. Now I've actually set about getting the ones I missed because I feel like them being legacy wide is an incentive.

That being said I think they should've made it an legacy option you could choice to unlock or not.

Like I said, I'm sure I'm the only one who doesn't like that change. It really made sense. But I just enjoyed finding them a second and third time. So I agree having a Legacy unlock would have been the preferable way to go.

Again, the game is still good. As a solo player, it hasn't changed (outside the leveling madness). But as someone who enjoyed interacting with others on occasion and being required to flex those role skills, I miss that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Another complaint. So apparently many of the missions are now "turned off" by default, including the planetary quests! I just ran the entirety of Taris, the entire time thinking something was wrong, only to find out I had to manually turn on planetary quests. So I've missed them all and will have to start back at the beginning. So frustrated.

For anyone else's benefit, be sure to check the box "Show Exploration Missions" in the top right of your map. Disappointingly, not checking this box hides about half the known quests. Man.

Edit: For the veterans, we should realize something is missing. I should have checked it out before I played so far, but at least I knew something was wrong. How is a new person going to know they're missing out on a good portion of the game's missions? It should be checked by default, if nothing else.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote  

Another complaint. So apparently many of the missions are now "turned off" by default, including the planetary quests! I just ran the entirety of Taris, the entire time thinking something was wrong, only to find out I had to manually turn on planetary quests. So I've missed them all and will have to start back at the beginning. So frustrated.

For anyone else's benefit, be sure to check the box "Show Exploration Missions" in the top right of your map. Disappointingly, not checking this box hides about half the known quests. Man.

Edit: For the veterans, we should realize something is missing. I should have checked it out before I played so far, but at least I knew something was wrong. How is a new person going to know they're missing out on a good portion of the game's missions? It should be checked by default, if nothing else.

I think what they did was try to eliminate the mission clutter by only having the main planetary quest arc available by default. While I don't think having quests turned off by default is good I do appreciate that they made it easier to know what quests are part of the planetary story arc and which are just fun side quests.

From what I gather on the forums they likely turned the quests off by default to cater to the vets who are tired of doing all of the same planetary quests for the 1,000 time. I think that was the wrong choice but as near as I can tell that's why they did it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I'm sure they had good reason for doing much of what they did. Don't take my complaining too seriously...I'm just a die hard completionist who tends to criticize what I love. TOR is still a fantastic game, and I am seriously enjoying running Titus through. I haven't leveled a Republic character in over a year, and never a Consular. I just react badly to change, and this is my way of venting as I adapt. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Okay, soooo...since my complaints never seem to cease, I thought I would post a positive. *gasp* I know, I know. Shocking.

I think the work they've done on the companion system is awesome. Except for the part where you can't outfit them anymore (statwise), and they can play all three roles. I don't like that. But I do love the adjustments to their affection. The fact that I can actually advance the companion stories of more than one in a 65-level span of time is just phenomenal. So kudos for that, Bioware!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote  

Except for the part where you can't outfit them anymore (statwise), and they can play all three roles.

I kinda have mixed feels about outfitting companions statwise. On the one hand I'm glad that I have more freedom to equip them in gear that fits my character's RP or the general look I'm going for without worries as to whether it has the best stats (such as creating a Havoc Squad "look" that fits both my RP and what I think those characters would actually use given their back stories; for example Aric I think would have an open faced helmet and more light armor to fit with his experience as a sniper where maximum field of view and mobility would be a greater asset than the clone trooper full armor look).

On the other hand it was sometimes fun to be keeping your companions gear up to snuff. Although I was never a min/maxer so I don't think it ultimately had an impact for me.

Personally I prefer the RP options that playing all three roles opens up and that I can mix them up if I start getting bored of running with one companion. That being said I'm not as fond of companions like HK-51 being able to be healers since it goes against the entire back story. I'd have honestly preferred they'd implemented a KOTOR style 3 person crew were you could've kept each companion with their specific role since choosing a companion with one role wouldn't mean you'd loose the other role if you weren't speced for it.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Against my better judgment, I've just decided to use the /played command on each of my characters to find out how much time I've put into this game. The results are in:

Bangarang - 418 Hours, 22 Minutes
Adym - 261 Hours, 20 Minutes
Sven - 134 Hours, 17 Minutes
Atlas - 221 Hours, 58 Minutes
Titus - 44 Hours, 45 Minutes
Thana - 45 Hours, 25 Minutes
Jayda - 432 Hours, 34 Minutes
Mara - 77 Hours, 20 Minutes
Jarvis - 166 Hours, 7 Minutes
Garik - 91 Hours, 34 Minutes
Talus - 178 Hours, 29 Minutes

That's a grand total of 2,072 hours and 11 minutes. But what can I say, I've loved every minute of it. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote  

So I recently resumed playing TOR again. Overall things run well except I've come across an odd bug where black splotches will constantly be stuttering across all game characters (doesn't appear to affect any other textures, just characters). Kinda makes it look like they're being attacked by large intergalactic fleas or something.

I'm honestly unsure what it might be since I tried tweaking my graphic settings in game but that didn't do anything. I'd also recently updated my graphic card's driver so unless it's an odd incompatibility issue I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

It's a known bug with the latest nVidia update. Same thing happened to me. The only workaround right now is to revert to the previous driver until nVidia releases a resolution.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Against my better judgment, I've just decided to use the /played command on each of my characters to find out how much time I've put into this game. The results are in:

Bangarang - 418 Hours, 22 Minutes
Adym - 261 Hours, 20 Minutes
Sven - 134 Hours, 17 Minutes
Atlas - 221 Hours, 58 Minutes
Titus - 44 Hours, 45 Minutes
Thana - 45 Hours, 25 Minutes
Jayda - 432 Hours, 34 Minutes
Mara - 77 Hours, 20 Minutes
Jarvis - 166 Hours, 7 Minutes
Garik - 91 Hours, 34 Minutes
Talus - 178 Hours, 29 Minutes

That's a grand total of 2,072 hours and 11 minutes. But what can I say, I've loved every minute of it. Smile

I know you wrote it a while ago, but inspired by this post, I did the same, summing up all my 8 characters, ending up with 1079 hours and 41 minutes. It surprised me. But considering that it has accumulated over about 2 and a half years, it might be ok...

How many years have you played accumulating this sum of 2,072 hours and 11 minutes?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

That's right on schedule for where I am! I bought the game back in August 2012, so I've been playing for 4 years now. I can't believe how the time has flown. It is definitely one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Four years is really a long time to play with a game. I'm glad you liked and still like it. Smile
I am now fatigued with the gameplay because it is too repetitive for me after these 2.5 years. I think, I cease playing it at least for a while, but this game gets a time record of keeping me busy for so long and I really had much fun playing it.

Page 42 of 43