Battlefront III: Discussion, Hopes, and Speculation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
So in case any of you didn't know there's an beta test for Battlefront that's available to everyone on Origin (EA's version of Steam) for this weekend only. It's fairly limited in game modes and features but I've tried it and it looks pretty cool. (I'd say it's more of a trial/teaser to get more people to pre-order than beta as there doesn't appear to be enough features activated to truly do a beta test to find bugs and the like).

Either way it's probably worth checking out for any of you who are interested in the game.

Yay Battlefront beta! Boo Origin!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote  

So far my impressions of Battlefront:

The graphics are amazing and it actually looks like you're on Hoth. The map design for Hoth is also vastly superior to any of the previous Battlefronts. Not only is it bigger but it also feels somewhat like the movie. The Hoth map is a little more rocky/hilly than what you see in the film for the most part but that seems to benefit gameplay. The big improvement I see is that there's actually space to use vehicles.

Weapons seem beautifully done and the sound seems like a perfect reproduction of what you see in the films. That being said there are only 4 weapons available so it's hard to know exactly how weapons work (do you just have a single weapon or do you have a primary and a sidearm? Perhaps a relevant question when it comes to the DL-44 since I'm not sure it'd be all that great as your only weapon in a game with assault rifles). I imagine there will be more weapon options and that the choices are currently limited due to the beta nature.

There are also "cards" that make up your "hand" which basically is how you customize your equipment load out (jump pack, hand grenade etc.). I think this is supposed to have some integration with mobile use but I'm not entirely clear. The main thing I like is how they've integrated Battlefield's kit customization, most cool is that there don't seem to be "classes" like in the old Battlefronts (infantry, anti-tank, pilot etc.). IMO that gives a lot of interesting flexibility when it comes to teaming up with friends and creating unique playstyles for your group.

The coolest thing seems that you'll be able to customize the look of your soldier. What options that means I'm not totally sure as that feature is disabled in the beta but that's still pretty neat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yep, I started playing it this morning. Absolutely loving the graphics. Truly feels like I'm on Tatooine in A New Hope. Can't wait to play it more tonight. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Loving this game. Graphics are amazing, the look, the sound it is 1000% Starwars. I even like the fact that the Rebels almost always loose on Hoth. They should loose, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to play as the Rebel side in the fight. I allllllllmost had an At-At wrapped up with my tow hook and a Tie fighter piolt kamikazed into me! I flopped my first time as Vader, but prob wracked up 20 kills as Luke. The feeling of "oh crap here comes Vader!!!" Is a feeling I have been missing for years now, welcome back Battlefront, welcome back.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Funny you say that, because the one time I played Walker Assault I was a Snowtrooper, and we lost. Sad

I was thoroughly confused by that mode of play, but I only played it once. I much enjoyed the other version (can't remember what it was called, now). I leveled up to Rank 5, and had fun blasting opponents. I think I will enjoy the single player, as well, once there are more maps. The one wave in the Beta got old after a few tries.

Looking forward to the final release! Did anyone else have audio trouble on the PC version? It was always sped up and garbled. I couldn't understand them. I know it's a Beta, but it seemed more like a demo than a Beta. Just curious. I don't remember that problem on the Xbox.

One other interesting note, you can play multiplayer for free on the PC (at least for the Beta), but you had to buy Gold to play it on the Xbox. Just thought that was strange (more so that they didn't charge you to play on the PC).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

One other interesting note, you can play multiplayer for free on the PC (at least for the Beta), but you had to buy Gold to play it on the Xbox. Just thought that was strange (more so that they didn't charge you to play on the PC).

Don't jinx it! DON'T JINX IT!!! Razz

On a more serious note I really loved the Walker Assault. I felt the right walker's path (left if you're a snowtrooper) was a nice nod to the original, smaller, rocky map of Battlefront I & II with the left walker's path being more along the lines of the film. I also really liked the third and final area of the map that is open and really feels like the battleground of Hoth in ESB. That was something I always felt was lacking in previous versions of Battlefront so I really like that they tried so hard to make a flat plane with elaborate trench networks.

I'm mostly looking forward to seeing what other equipment the full release brings. With the limited equipment it really created clear divisions in players between those that could use items like jump packs and those that hadn't unlocked them yet. I think though with more equipment available it won't be much of a problem.

One thing I thought was really impressive is that it seemed the weapons were very well balanced. The A280C and E-11 both felt very balanced against each other and the DLT-19 seemed that it could have it's own place as a squad automatic weapon (based on what I saw I'm really, really hoping the T-21 also makes an appearance). I'm not entirely sure how the DH-17 fits in since it seemed to play very similar to the DLT-19 except being described as a sidearm (if I recall right) but it might be more clear when you have the DL-44 available too. I do hope that they give you the option to have a primary blaster and sidearm since I did see that sometimes it would've helped to have had a second weapon to switch to when your primary weapon overheated.

As an aside I'm glad they went with the overheat mechanic rather than reloading a magazine since the movies never established where or how the weapons are reloaded. In this generation of games I don't think people would've accepted the "weapon disappears below bottom of screen during reload" like in older games but I think it would've looked very clumsy to "invent" a reload for weapons like the DLT-19 that were based on belt fed MGs and clearly using the reload for the real world weapon it was based on would never have worked.

This all being said I had lots of connectivity issues during the beta and was never able to make it to Rank 5 so I'll hold off buying for a month or two so they can work out some of the bugs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hah! While watching TB's review, I had to laugh to myself again and again, "This game is so authentic Star Wars it buckles under its own weight". It is all a strategy-less, skill-less, nonsensical, luck-based meatgrinder, just like in the source material. Which obviously rubs realistic shooter multiplayers completely the wrong way.

I'm at once amazed DICE would break their own game to stay painfully true to the source material like this, and horrified that even they couldn't make it enjoyable over time, or indeed a superior Battlefield experience.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
It is all a strategy-less, skill-less, nonsensical, luck-based meatgrinder, just like in the source material. Which obviously rubs realistic shooter multiplayers completely the wrong way.

Have you played it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I thought the implication was no, since I brought up a review.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You can't really judge something until you've played it, watched it, read it etc.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's a bit unfair to say there's no strategy involved in the game. I've been on/played against teams filled with CoD kiddies who don't hold the objectives to any regard and only care about boosting their k/d ratio. Those teams lose 9/10ths of the time to the ones who work together to do what it takes to win. If a team treats a mode like "Walker Assault" like a "luck-based meatgrinder", they will lose handily.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think people vastly overestimate the difference between what you can see in a video and actually playing a game yourself. Remember that video games have only visual feedback, meaning all moment-to-moment information available when you play, is available in a video. And I have seen most of the problems he brings up, while trusting his experience enough to believe in the ones I haven't.

That is besides having played enough SW shooters to know the complaint about the gunplay has to be spot on. Between ridicilous bolt spread, and low rate of fire and projectile speed, there is an element of pure chance to blaster combat that you don't find in realistic shooters. And gunplay is THE gameplay pillar of this game. If DICE has been as true to the source material as prior SW shooters by LA were, it was unavoidable it would be broken as far as skill celing goes. The question would only be to what degree, and it seems the degree was pretty great in this case.

And finally, I am disappointed that I have to pedantically clarify that "skill-less" and "tactic-less" were hyperbole based on comparisons with BF's competitors in the gaming market, rather than absolute statements. Smh, guys...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote  

DarthMRN wrote:
Between ridicilous bolt spread, and low rate of fire and projectile speed, there is an element of pure chance to blaster combat that you don't find in realistic shooters.

Now my reply is based on the beta as I have yet to buy the actual game (holidays and all). That being said I'd say Battlefield 2 was way, way worse with bullet spread than Battlefront. In Battlefield 2 you could aim perfectly with the L-85 and miss 4 perfectly lined up shots in a row. Battlefront seemed fairly good bullet spread wise when I played and if I lined up a shot right it would hit unless I was firing at extreme ranges. That being said maybe things changed since the beta. It is possible though that the fact that ADS and crouching doesn't improve spread may be a bit jarring and give some appearance to poorly designed spread mechanics but I get that DICE did that to make it more accessible to casual players that might not have as refined skills as realistic shooter fans. EDIT: IMO it also looked like in their review like the bullet spread was quite reasonable and not as bad as the video claimed.

I get projectile speed can be a problem but while it was jarring compared to a modern shooter it still felt like something you could totally adapt to. This being said my gunnery skills were developed in WWII flight sim games that require really being able to adapt to leading targets, something I think most modern shooters don't require unless you like being a sniper (due to combat being fairly close quarters where combat isn't occurring much beyond 200 meters).

Again this is all based on my experience in the beta.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Somehow I doubt you have played any realistic shooter that required you to lead with automatic weapons whose rate of fire was semi-automatic. Lead with an accurate weapon, yes. Great spread offset by high rate of fire, yes. The damnable combo seen in most SW shooters, where you have to lead without knowing where the bolt will go, and that at a rate of fire low enough that you can't just compensate with spam? No.

I completely reject that this doesn't constitute a radical difference from realistic shooter multiplayer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

DarthMRN wrote:
Somehow I doubt you have played any realistic shooter that required you to lead with automatic weapons whose rate of fire was semi-automatic. Lead with an accurate weapon, yes. Great spread offset by high rate of fire, yes. The damnable combo seen in most SW shooters, where you have to lead without knowing where the bolt will go, and that at a rate of fire low enough that you can't just compensate with spam? No.

I completely reject that this doesn't constitute a radical difference from realistic shooter multiplayer.

He said WWII flight simulators, and I believe he is referring to War Thunder. I play War Thunder, and you do have to lead if you're going to get a hit on a moving target.

Page 10 of 12