Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The best SW game I've ever played, I still play it from time to time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Mace Windu wrote:
The best SW game I've ever played, I still play it from time to time.

Now that my kids are really starting to read they are getting to play this game for the first time.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:53 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

They need to make a third one already.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The third one was cancelled half a decade ago and we get the The Old Republic MMO instead.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

And I still think it's bull****, even if I'll play the MMO.

Respect, passion, and a never ending love affair
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

The sole reason I got back into video games was KOTOR. I never owned an XBOX until one day when was it 2001 or 2002 when it came out? Then I saw Knights of the Old Republic and instantly bought an XBOX. I remember heading straight home got everything set up and by the time the sun was shining the next morning, I had to call work and pretend I had the flew bug so I could stay up and continue playing. I stayed off work for four days, and with little sleep, and hardly any food I just continued to plow through this incredible game just absolutely obsessed with the experience.

Now during every release of a new novel I always book two days off work well in advance so I have no distractions and no interruptions so I can read cover to cover. Our universe is in my blood and there is nowhere else I would rather spend my time.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm trying to alter the swkotor.ini file in Notepad, so I can enable the cheats, but whenever I try to save it, it says to make sure file name/path is correct. Any thoughts of what I'm missing?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Sometimes you have to be an administrator to do this, and sometimes the computer just gets confused and won't allow it until after a restart. Happens to me a lot. There could be other reasons, as well, but those come to mind first.

Also, are you sure you're changing the correct one? On Vista and 7, you have to go to a different location than seems obvious. I believe it's something like the following:

C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR

To see the AppData folder, you'll have to enable hidden files and folders. Click on Start, then Computer on the right. At the top left, click on Organize, then "Folder and Search Options". Choose the View tab, and click the "Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives" radio button. Save and close the window. The correct AppData folder should then appear.

As a last resort, you'll have to copy the swkotor.ini file out of that particular folder. Copy/Paste it somewhere else like My Documents, change it, then copy/paste it back. Sometimes the computer has permissions blocked so you can't alter files in that AppData folder.

Anyway, hope that's not too confusing and helps you out. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I know this is off topic, but I saw this email in the mailbox. KOTOR is the best video game of all time period, and I am looking at my new book Conviction right now and it is time to read, can't wait to discuss Smile

May the Force Be With all of you

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I really miss the Knights of The Old Republic series I wish they had made more, I personally loved playing Revan and wish you could continue to play him like in the Mass Effect series.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Well, it doesn't matter anymore. Sadly I downloaded a patch, but when I tried to play the game, it said "wrong disc inserted" so I removed the patch, getting the same results. So, I uninstalled the game, keeping the saved games, then reinstalled it. I didn't know it'd only keep Game 1 saved (I had 3, Game 2 being my primary) which only had an hour and change logged, my primary game had 31 or 32 hours logged, only been playing for three days. I'm not thrilled about it, and I'm wondering if I should go through the pain of replaying, or leaving a sleeping dog alone.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Wait...! Your saved games could possibly still be around. Probably not (*sad face*), but there's a possibility they're just not in the right folder.

As I said previously, Vista and 7 store in a different location than XP. Most people do not realize this, and neither does KOTOR at times.

C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\saves

This is where your saves are actually stored. One or two will be stored in Program Files, which is where I believe KOTOR is pulling them from when you choose to "Keep Saved Games". And why it only actually saved one, even though it's supposed to save them all. So I would at least suggest checking the above location for your saves. When reinstalled, the folder was probably overwritten. But perhaps not. It wouldn't hurt to check.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Thank you! I've got my games back, now I am off to fight Darth Malak!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

They were there?! Yay! I am quite happy for you. That would have been a major bummer. Because believe me, I've been there when hours of saved games were lost. It was not a happy time. Sad

Have fun! Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Is it "bad" that now, because I've been playing KOTOR non-stop, when I read a book I keep thinking of whats going on in terms on the action/phrase more of KOTOR, if that makes any sense? I just keep feeling like when someone is going to say something in the book, everything will stop so I can pick the dialogue.

Page 2 of 6