What are your hopes for the SW saga going forward?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
What are your hopes for the SW saga going forward?
 PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

We keep hearing SW "insiders" saying that there are big plans for SW and that there will be LOTS of SW coming our way in the future. Thus far, there's only been a little trickle of information about what Disney/LFL have planned that these "insiders" seem to already know. So, I had an idea to see what people, the fans, hope to see coming.

Here's my thoughts:

- Not only continue the Rebels show, but have a couple more ongoing animated series. I'd like to see at least one set between RotJ and TFA. Since there will be new fans (and old fans) loving the new characters from the ST, I'd like to see them develop an animated show set in that timeframe.

- Fill in the 20 years between RotS and ANH with an ongoing comic or two. Do the same thing with the 30 years between RotJ and TFA.

- More anthology films, but based after RotJ with new characters. I'd rather not see saga characters re-cast.

- Set the live action Netflick's shows between RotJ and TFA. have them based around new characters, but tied into the main story somehow. Have those all be connected to each other.

- have video games that put the player into the story. Flight sims, FPS, RPG's.

That's at the top of my mind right now.

Re: What are your hopes for the SW saga going forward?
 PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skywalker2B wrote:
Not only continue the Rebels show, but have a couple more ongoing animated series. I'd like to see at least one set between RotJ and TFA. Since there will be new fans (and old fans) loving the new characters from the ST, I'd like to see them develop an animated show set in that timeframe.

I think you can count on an ST era animated show one day. I don't think it will happen until Rebels and the ST have run their course though, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Skywalker2B wrote:
Fill in the 20 years between RotS and ANH with an ongoing comic or two. Do the same thing with the 30 years between RotJ and TFA.

Ehh... I don't really care what they do outside of the films and TV shows because I don't think I'll be investing the time into the new EU.

Skywalker2B wrote:
More anthology films, but based after RotJ with new characters. I'd rather not see saga characters re-cast.

I do wonder what the future of the Anthology series will be. We only have one Anthology film scheduled without any details and that will be released the year after the ST concludes. I could see it going on for a long time because there's so much to cover. What I'm wondering is if the Anthology films will be the only Star Wars movies we'll get for a long time post-ST or if they'll start up a new series. I don't think I'd want Episodes X, XI, and XII any time soon, but an epic Old Republic era film series could be great.

Skywalker2B wrote:
Set the live action Netflick's shows between RotJ and TFA. have them based around new characters, but tied into the main story somehow. Have those all be connected to each other.

Were there live action shows announced? I've been out of the Star Wars loop to avoid TFA spoilers...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Skywalker2B wrote:
More anthology films, but based after RotJ with new characters. I'd rather not see saga characters re-cast.

I do wonder what the future of the Anthology series will be. We only have one Anthology film scheduled without any details and that will be released the year after the ST concludes.

Rogue One comes out next year, and the Han Solo film comes out before Episode IX, so we have at least 2 anthology films before the ST concludes.

Reepicheep wrote:
Skywalker2B wrote:
Set the live action Netflick's shows between RotJ and TFA. have them based around new characters, but tied into the main story somehow. Have those all be connected to each other.

Were there live action shows announced? I've been out of the Star Wars loop to avoid TFA spoilers...

No live action shows have been announced, people are just speculating based on the success of Daredevil on Netflix.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
Skywalker2B wrote:

I do wonder what the future of the Anthology series will be. We only have one Anthology film scheduled without any details and that will be released the year after the ST concludes.

Rogue One comes out next year, and the Han Solo film comes out before Episode IX, so we have at least 2 anthology films before the ST concludes.

Right. I just meant that we only have one Anthology film that we know nothing about and could potentially be set post-RotJ. We know the other two will be in between RotS and ANH.

GrandMaster wrote:
No live action shows have been announced, people are just speculating based on the success of Daredevil on Netflix.

We may finally get the long-awaited live-action show. I've been waiting since 2005! Confused

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Word on the street (so to speak) is that the 3rd anthology will be about Boba Fett. I've also heard that it may tie into the Han Solo anthology, but if it's gonna be a Boba Fett flick, I'd rather it start with Fett escaping the Sarlacc.

As for Netflix, there is a story out there reporting that Disney/LFL are developing 3 live-action shows for Netflix. No official announcement has been made though, so we have no idea what they could be about, or when they could be set...timeline wise.

Personally, I'd really like to see an animated show set shortly after RotJ. With animation they could still have the main characters and could use voice actors.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skywalker2B wrote:
As for Netflix, there is a story out there reporting that Disney/LFL are developing 3 live-action shows for Netflix. No official announcement has been made though, so we have no idea what they could be about, or when they could be set...timeline wise.

Three?! I suppose I really shouldn't complain if it turns out to be true, but that seems like a bit much. I'd be satisfied with just one. Heck, I'd be satisfied with just Rebels until it runs its course.

I am extremely skeptical about this though. It's been 10 years since plans of a live-action show were released and the reason always cited was budgetary concerns. They couldn't produce the quality sets, costumes etc. they wanted on a week-by-week basis. And now there's going to be three shows? Nah, I don't believe it. Granted they must be having a lot more money rolling in than they did after the end of the PT, but still.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I want more comics, spread around the timeline:

-One comic in the Old Republic era (perhaps depicting one of the many conflicts between Jedi and Sith before the dawn of the more modern Republic);

-One comic set in the era between Episodes III and IV, perhaps focussing on Darth Vader (OR: have some arcs in Star Wars: Darth Vader flashing back to the Clone Wars and the early Empire);

-Continue the current Star Wars and Darth Vader series.

-One ongoing series that starts with an adaptation of Episode VII, and continues from there, like Marvel did in 1977.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not really interested at this point in investing in a reboot or alternate timeline. Whatever you want to call is.

So I hope that the new canon does well enough to keep the franchise running, and I hope that they begin to produce new material in the Legends universe to continue the story that I've followed since I was 7.

I'll take books like Tarkin, Heir, and Lords of the Sith that are compatable with the classic universe until that time, but actual Legends material is what would get my money.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Skywalker2B wrote:

Three?! I suppose I really shouldn't complain if it turns out to be true, but that seems like a bit much. I'd be satisfied with just one. Heck, I'd be satisfied with just Rebels until it runs its course.

I am extremely skeptical about this though. It's been 10 years since plans of a live-action show were released and the reason always cited was budgetary concerns. They couldn't produce the quality sets, costumes etc. they wanted on a week-by-week basis. And now there's going to be three shows? Nah, I don't believe it. Granted they must be having a lot more money rolling in than they did after the end of the PT, but still.

It could be that they're just developing 3 shows and will choose one of them to go forward with. Or maybe they're following the Marvel route and making miniseries that can then crossover, like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist will in The Defenders.

As for the budget - they have Disney money now. Money may no longer be a concern.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:
So I hope that the new canon does well enough to keep the franchise running, and I hope that they begin to produce new material in the Legends universe to continue the story that I've followed since I was 7.

Oh, man. I want this so bad. There's absolutely no way it's going to happen though. If they did continue that storyline it would become more and more of a niche market as time went on and I don't think it would be financially worth it for them. It would also be confusing to new or casual fans. Sad

GrandMaster wrote:
As for the budget - they have Disney money now. Money may no longer be a concern.

That's true.

One thing I still want is the loose threads of TCW to be wrapped up on-screen somehow. As a completionist, the fact that TCW was unceremoniously dropped, leaving certain storylines unfinished, will be a pebble in my shoe until it's taken care of. I know they're doing some unfinished storylines in book- and comic-form, but I want it on-screen. Rebels is taking care of Rex and Ahsoka, but we still need something for Maul and Ventress. And I want official confirmation that my old pal Echo is still alive!

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Regarding Legends material, they might still publish a handful of things related to SWTOR. Given that it's still up and running, and still getting updates (including Knights of a Fallen Empire), then maybe we can expect a novel or comic or short story or something set there.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
but we still need something for Maul and Ventress.

Read Dark Disciple. It's a great book and a great story for both Ventress and Quinlan Vos.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
but we still need something for Maul and Ventress.

Read Dark Disciple. It's a great book and a great story for both Ventress and Quinlan Vos.

I'll read it some time, but I would rather see it on-screen. Mostly because, no matter the Story Group says, I'm very skeptical that the books and comics will have the same level of canonicity as the films and TV shows in the long term.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote  

I think we were better off with the book because if they put Quinlan onscreen, I bet we would have gotten more of that awful surfer voice.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I think we were better off with the book because if they put Quinlan onscreen, I bet we would have gotten more of that awful surfer voice.

Maybe, but I wasn't planning on reading the novels. And if I do a Star Wars marathon like I'm doing right now (the six films, TCW, and the first season of Rebels in chronological order) the story feels incomplete. Confused

I'm hoping they'll animate and release the important episodes in some form in the future. Maybe as straight-to-DVD animated movies? Star Wars is owned by Disney now, so they should have plenty of animation resources at their disposal.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 2