The Mando Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote  

"Then 80 Jedi jumped me. I got like 67 of 'em before the other twenty flanked me." -Fett

Ooo I loved that. Especially that whole bit about "I left them my parting gift...A THERMAL DETONATOR!"

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

yea i was Rofl on that one.... Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Darth Skuldren wrote:
After watching Star Wars Robot Chicken Episode II, I'd have to go with Fett killing Solo. He he. I can't help myself, I'm a Mando nut. Seeing Fett kill those Ewoks was just too hilarious. Very Happy

do you have a link to that cause i have not seen it yet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote  

This one might work. You should be able to watch all the clips there. I haven't been able to find the whole episode uninterrupted, but that site will play them end to end if you click on the first Star Wars one.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

ok so i wanted to get opinons for something... is wrong if i have been thinking of useing the Mando wedding vows for my own some day? Confused

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Really Twitch? Kinda different, but then I have a friend doing a Legend of Zelda themed wedding so yeah.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Wrong? No, I don't think so. But just make sure your significant other is in agreement. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote  

Here in the Mando Thread we welcome all things Mando. So here's to you Twitch! *raises glass in toast*

The Mandalore would be proud.

And I believe these are the Mando vows:

We're one when we're together,
we're one when we're apart,
we'll share everything,
we'll raise warriors.

Mhi solus tome,
Mhi solus dhar'tome,
Mhi me'dinui an,
Mhi ba'juri verde.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

they are and i dont mean Mando theme cause she may love me but not that much i just mean the vows cause there the only ones i really like Very Happy ...oh and this is way in the future at least 2 years when she finishs high school... Shocked

My Mandalorians
 PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Ok, so I'm a Mando fan. As in old school: Boba was my man for years, loved the armour. Didn't care about the EU and the continuity errors; liked the ideaa he might have survived the Sarlacc, even though he deserved such an ignominious end (he's a bad guy). Liked a few things in the Jeter trilogy on him too. This was all before he was officially Mandalorian, etc.

Then Jango: yep, I'm on board too. Kotor: nice touch, just a game, they can do what they want back in that era.

But I got to say... I'm not liking this Manduabe business.

Looking at it: ok, Jango became an official Mandalorian. Fine; at first he was considered one of the last remnants. And then, oh no, more were around: also fine.
But from there we have this weird vicious cycle where the Clones have to be humanised as soldiers - ok, I can understand that, and the Commando novels have been popular. There's a market for humanised soldiers (never mind that in the real world they're trained to be dehumanised - fiction is so topsy-turvy). And this humanising agenda means they're all chatty and pally and have nicknames and are wondering who they are. All good stuff.

But then they, I dunno, want to get in touch with their Mandalorian roots? And they have Mandalorians training them... and because the Clones are all slap-my-hand-now friends and pals, Mandalorians are by default like that? And Boba Fett has to become like that? And suddenly you have to "humanise' Mandalorian culture - which is in fact an vicious alien culture - just because they wear human faces? And Boba Fett has to be made into some redepmtive figure so he's "three-dimensional"?

Where did all the bad guys go?

There are real bad guys in life, and there are real bad guys in SW. We may disagree about who they are sometimes - war for selfish, very very human reasons clouds the issue - but no one is going to argue that Charles Manson or Hitler or the dudes behind 9/11 need a fresh perspective on their stories so they become "three dimensional characters".

So to provide some context, I just finished reading Revelation. And I didn't mind Bloodlines: it was quite Fett, even if we got in his head too much (there is such a thing. Show, don't tell). And Sacrifice, although it was fat on this new Mando business, was balanced by the good stuff with Mara, etc. But I was dreading Revelation, and so it proved. Only one, boring spacefight of no real consequence (Yes, Fury and Inferno had little real impact, but the fights were a lot better, even if Caedus was shonw up as a fool.. but that's a LotF beef.)

Rev was absolute overload on chatter and meaningless role-playing of side characters, and these jolly cuddly Toblerone Mandalorians. It is upsetting how a defence journalist (basically) got to come in and flesh out clones (no problem), and then pushed the Band-of-Brother's Flag of Happiness up the Mandalorian flagpole. Look at their armour. If they're a family hugs and chats and drinks culture, I think they may have developed a slightly different style of daily-wear over their many millennia of existence. (I can't imagine what "human" culture KT based them on - some imagining of Fijian mercenaries, fighting in Iraq then going back to the islands loaded with cash for some kava? but with super-weapons.)

Now, I'm happy for those that enjoy the new Mandalorians. You're lucky. But to me they are cold, solitary, scattered people with minimal love and affection shown by their parents who are kicked out of home and have to develop an iron hard conception of self just to survive. They are brutal fighters, but trust no one... which is why they don't take over the galaxy. Except when, every now and then, a Mandalore rises and whips, cajoles and conscripts them into a raging army.

Of course, this sort of culture does not develop a very productive economy (no magic Besuliik rolling off conveyors belts after a month), so they were only successful in the earlier days of the Republic, when technology was less advanced and they could overwhelm and steal neighbouring wealth quickly without warning. In the modern era this strategy simply doesn't work, which is why they've "disappeared"... Until some new Mandalore unites them behind a new plan and vision.

This of course makes for a painful life. How they deal with it makes them 3D. I think there are more appropriate ways than cracking a joke a minute and singing around campfires.

So I'm a Mandalorian fan, and that's how Mandalorians are to me, and always will be. Maybe the EU versions will "return to their roots" some day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote  

I too am a Mandalorian fan, however I also like some of the things Traviss has done with them. To say they're all jolly good 3 dimensional guys is to say too much though. I do think Traviss goes too far with them, and I do think the Clone Troops of the Clone Wars era have been emotionalized too much (they were programmed to lack a certain degree of emotion).

The problem with Fett being a bad guy still is that somebody would have finished him off by now. He's lived as long as he has because he's given up on going after Han and Luke (which is what made him a villain). Yet it looks like he'll be returning to those roots in the upcoming Fate of the Jedi series since Daala is using the Mandos as her personal Jedi policing force.

Now I wouldn't compare any Mandalorian to Hitler, but a WWII comparison could work here. To call all the Mandos bad guys, evil, or uncaring 2D killers doesn't work. You put an army together of millions of people and you'll get a mixed bag. Let's use the German army of WWII for example. You get the guys in the SS Waffen who go out fervently commit atrocities. You also get others who'll commit war crimes. But there were also guys who fought honorably, people who thought they were defending their country, their family, or their brothers in the field. In war, everyone has a motivation. Most fight for their countries then their fellow buddies. A few fight for the lust of battle. Mandalorians are the same. Not all of them are fighting because they enjoy killing things. A good percentage of them do, but probably not the majority.

Culturally the Mandalorians enjoy war, battle. They are warriors. They have honor, and they give honor to other warriors. They are viewed as bad guys because they do not show honor to non-warriors.

But then again, I've always like the bad guys more than the good guys. I never liked Luke in the movies, and I've always had a fancy for warriors.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Yeah, that's all fair enough (Hitler is more of a "for instance" than a direct comparison). I think Revelation was just a big mistake on so many levels, half of it being devoted to "friendly sociable Mandalorians" was bit much for me.

I've read Invincible now, and unfortunately I have to say that KT's lack of balance with the Mandalorians (Super-ships; super armour; ooh, lets kills a bunch of Moffs, nothing bad will come of that) led to a pretty dire reality check for them with the inevitable Imperial backlash. You can't pump just anyone up into gallivanting gatecrashers without careful plotting and story oversight -and consequences. They had to be flattened back into place, and they were.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:21 am Reply with quote  

That's my problem with the Mandalorians. Traviss built them up too much with the super armor/skills (I mean that one guy actually could've killed Caedus but instead just broke his ankle and it was like nothing, a Mando just pwned a Sith Lord and got away with it, which was silly), and I feel Denning brought them down too low. I'm hoping someone else will step in and find a nice middle ground between the two.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

THe MAndo Armour was the ONLY thing i ever reaaaly liked...besides that...Mirva(thats her name rite??)is one of my fav characters....
Solidarity has a point...but he did dramatise his point=p....But I wud Like the Mandos to go back to their KOTOR days/roots.....However....KOTOR never showed us their "prime"...which I think is coming back.....The description U gav of MAndos are wat they were like after loosing the war....at first they might hav been pretty differnt...maybe even more chaotic=o

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay first of all Hitler was not evil, he did some discourteous things yes. But he's not evil. I love how the Mando's are handled by Karen Traviss, Mando's (like the vast majority of real-world christened "bad guys" aren't mindless monsters). I agree there should be core bad guys, but that's what the Sith are for right (or the Jedi, depending on your view). Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 7