Jacen Solo/Darth Caedus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Nothing is set. Nothing is inevitable. Jacen choose to go DS. He could have chosen another path.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

grayJeedai08 wrote:
Nothing is set. Nothing is inevitable. Jacen choose to go DS. He could have chosen another path.

See to me this is why the 5 years is CRITICAL- I didn't see him on a dark path until Betrayal. He made some dark decisions sure. But he could have still been a hero based on what happened in that journey.

Like the Vong war something so major gets swept aside.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

grayJeedai08 wrote:

The question is why did he choose it. He knew his grandfathers history. He would have heard about Vader. How hated he was. Yes he was feared and maybe he liked that idea?. Or maybe he felt he wouldnt make the mistakes Vader made because his motives were purer? Jacen wouldnt have known it was because of Padme but Im of the belief it wasnt that straightforward anyway.

Did he believe that the Siths outlook on the force was better then the Jedis? That it was colour rather then black and white? What did his 5 year journey uncover? We havent really seen this in FOTJ. Maybe the final book will shed some light but Im not that confident it will be done right.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Maybe he thought the fear and the hate and all the other risks were acceptable risks in order to achieve the greater good?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Life Is The Path wrote:
Maybe he thought the fear and the hate and all the other risks were acceptable risks in order to achieve the greater good?

I think you might be right. Jacen was a bit like Anakin in that he thought going to the DS was for the bigger picture. The greater good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Maybe, maybe not.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

darthrevan1 wrote:
grayJeedai08 wrote:

The question is why did he choose it. He knew his grandfathers history. He would have heard about Vader. How hated he was. Yes he was feared and maybe he liked that idea?. Or maybe he felt he wouldnt make the mistakes Vader made because his motives were purer? Jacen wouldnt have known it was because of Padme but Im of the belief it wasnt that straightforward anyway.

Did he believe that the Siths outlook on the force was better then the Jedis? That it was colour rather then black and white? What did his 5 year journey uncover? We havent really seen this in FOTJ. Maybe the final book will shed some light but Im not that confident it will be done right.

I guess the thing that bothers me- is did he go DS before Betrayal? I always wanted to say no, but FotJ tends to say he went during the 5 years or even before that but didn't KNOW he had till Betrayal. Heck I had seen plausible ways that he was sticking to the Light by making the choices he was making- but it needs support through the story telling- currently they leave it so alone that it makes little to no sense.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:18 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think Jacens actions cemented his darkside credentials so to speak in Betrayal. Too me he had darkside tendencies going back too much earlier in that series. I got hints he was heading that way in the third book. Was it called Tempest?

I could see it happening a mile off but Betrayal was the cementing of his position as a darksider. I still say he thought that he had to go to the darkside to save the galaxy but it wasnt properly explained why he thought that. I always thought that his 5 year exile was were he realised the Jedi way was incorrect and I think Abeloth is maybe a reason for it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote  

Here's an issue I have. Jacen's experiences in the NJO should have left an impression upon him of the awesome power of the Force. I think it would have made more sense for Jacen to pursue a potentium theory, one of utilizing all aspects of the Force, rather than just the dark side. Everything we ever hear about the Sith is bad. In-universe it has to be common knowledge that everyone who goes to the dark side ends up doing bad things. Nothing good ever comes of it. By making Jacen think that he can be different, it just makes him seem more naive and simple minded.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Add arrogance to that. Jacen came across in the BOTF series as being very arrogant IMO Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

The arrogance is what made the difference. Jacen convinced himself that he could be different from every other Sith who had ever existed because he was just that super special.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Here's an issue I have. Jacen's experiences in the NJO should have left an impression upon him of the awesome power of the Force. I think it would have made more sense for Jacen to pursue a potentium theory, one of utilizing all aspects of the Force, rather than just the dark side. Everything we ever hear about the Sith is bad. In-universe it has to be common knowledge that everyone who goes to the dark side ends up doing bad things. Nothing good ever comes of it. By making Jacen think that he can be different, it just makes him seem more naive and simple minded.

See I saw him that way- and that he saw something so bad that he embraced the "evil" he was to become to prevent it- but we've gotten very little to support this.

-
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
The arrogance is what made the difference. Jacen convinced himself that he could be different from every other Sith who had ever existed because he was just that super special.

Which I found quite funny. Most likely a lot, if not all, of Sith had been arrogant, and had thought themselves special.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The Sith believe there way is the only way.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

darthrevan1 wrote:
The Sith believe there way is the only way.

As do the Jedi.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 15 of 19