Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 184, 185, 186  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Just finished watching Thor for the second time. It's really a fun movie, enjoyed it. But I must ask...does the Rainbow Bridge remind anyone else of Guitar Hero or Rock Band? Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Total-Recall is a critique on male fantasy fulfillment and action movies. Come on, you think a woman with three breasts is serious? You got a scene where a guy basically says, "You think that you are in an action movie about spies and mars? That's stupid. You're just some dude having a dream." And in the running theme here, the protagonist is actually the villain. The memorable cheesy line where Arnold is referring to himself: "That guy's a ****ing ***hole!" And you got the evil corporate dude from Robo-cop in the same role again.

Give me a break. By this logic, Battlefield Earth is a critique on the gold standard, and Attack of the Clones is a critique on whiny teenagers. Sure, you can find philosophical messages for any crappy movie, but it doesn't take away the fact that they're crappy movies.

And yes, I still have fun watching Total Recall whenever it's on (especially the ending Laughing ), for being "so bad it's good" as Caedus put accurately.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not against DPW's statements as they are in fact true about each film and were the director's stated intents, but I have to point out the one thing wrong with making films like that. The problem with it is that he goes to tongue-in-cheek for his message to have any meaning. He gets so lost in his attempt at hidden meaning within obvious circumstance that he misses the point of the film entirely, even though it is his film. As a fan of the original Starship Troopers novel I think its a miracle that I love that one, but I completely got what he was going for with it. Having said that it accomplishes what film was always originally intended for - entertainment. Total Recall also captured that. But he himself didn't. Film, much like paintings or novels or even video games, can be a statement and a commentary but it is all first and foremost a facet of entertainment and some directors forget this notion, which is why some of their better ideas remain half-realized on film sometimes. I don't think we should be making film easy, because when we do that we get trash like Suckerpunch or Alien 3 (ok so that last one wasn't a director's fault, but still...). The line has to be in the middle somewhere, its why there are so many bad movies and so many that will be stated as "only for the high-minded" when in reality they're pretentious nonsense. Part of the reason I love film is because some make me think, some just give me a good time. I'm picky, but I'm able to enjoy film on its baser levels. Thinks like Total Recall should be considered science fiction films first and mediums for message second, but they aren't. That's why we get stuck with people arguing over validity when in truth if you catch the director's hidden meaning good for you but if you don't you still have the entire "its so bad its good" argument. No one is ever going to get the same idea out of a film as someone else, and that's why director commentary and such has ruined film.

Look at Zack Snyder's 300 (DPW I specifically choose this one because I know you hate him. Its not meant as an insult, merely my view on film perspective and its an example that will open the discussion a bit further). As a movie for the public its exciting, violent, sexy, and contains barely enough history to be considered enough to get the gist of what happened at the actual battle even though its MILES away from what actually happened. But to the pretentious (myself among them) if we really want to justify it we can look at it as a portrayal of extremes, of a commentary of the over-sexualization of men in modern cinema, of homo-erotic undertones being looked down upon, and the general idea that the undertones combined with insults towards homosexuality can be masking one's own homosexuality. Persian culture is not accurately portrayed, but its far kinder in some ways than what they actually did to their conquered peoples. All of this is contained in a movie by Zack Snyder and Frank Miller and it could be purposeful, it could not be. But it exists and is there for all to find. But you shouldn't have to dig so far down just as those who hate Snyder shouldn't have to dig so deep to find something they liked about the movie.

Film is all perspective, and there are no wrong answers. That's the great thing about it, you can take away any message you want as long as you were able to follow the plot. Whatever is intended by the director or writers doesn't matter, its what the audience sees. The student teaches the teacher just as much as he is taught, Da Vinci saw something in the Mona Lisa when he painted it that is so beyond different than what people probably see in it today. These things are all about interpretation. Did Miller or Snyder intend any of that for 300? Beyond doubtful, but nonetheless its all there and not too deep to catch honestly. But most people didn't see any of it, so other aspects of the story get looked at instead. All this because of perspective, the most powerful tool in the director's toolbox.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:

Give me a break. By this logic, Battlefield Earth is a critique on the gold standard, and Attack of the Clones is a critique on whiny teenagers. Sure, you can find philosophical messages for any crappy movie, but it doesn't take away the fact that they're crappy movies.

And yes, I still have fun watching Total Recall whenever it's on (especially the ending Laughing ), for being "so bad it's good" as Caedus put accurately.

I know that you are joking, but it's sort of true. Regardless of whether or not you agree with him L. Ron Hubbard did have a lot of philosophical and spiritual views that he put into his books and even inspired a religious following, so I'm sure that there are a lot of messages in Battlefield Earth and it could very well be about economics.

You could also argue that Attack of the Clones played on the mythology of the Tragic Romance. I wouldn't and I think the movie sucks just as much as you think Total Recall does and I don't even like it ironically... but you have to admit that Lucas intentionally put myth and symbolism into at least the original trilogy even though they could appear to some as just cheesy fantasy movies in space. Sci-fi probably more than any other genre is about holding up a lens to society and viewing it from the outside.

That was very well said Cadeus. I completely agree with you. Love or hate a movie I think that films convey many different layers and are best enjoyed when looked at as such. I like hearing that someone got a totally different perspective than me on a film, even if I don't agree with it.

For the record I actually really like 300 because it says the same exact thing to me as Total Recall. It's male fantasy wish fulfillment and it celebrates that just as it, intentionally or not, lampoons it.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I just finished watching Contagion. May I just take a moment to say "AAAAHHH!"?

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Has anyone heard of a movie by Echolight Studios called I am Gabriel? I discovered it while surfing yesterday and was wondering if anyone else had heard of it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Let's see a show of hands, who's going to see Finding Nemo when it rereleases? Me! Me! Pick me! Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd love to, but I can't see 3D.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

But they release them in 2D, as well. I saw both The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast in 2D. I plan to do the same with Nemo. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was recently discussing The Amazing Spider-Man with my wife and our friend. I loved that movie, and one of the reasons was that it returned Spider-Man to, as my wife put it , "his douchey roots."

The only exposure my wife's really had to Spider-Man was the cartoon The Spectacular Spider-Man. Great cartoon. But throughout it Spidey regularly performs acts of gross criminal negligence (puts innocents in harm's way or destroys city infrastructure in the hopes of defeating the villain). The other exposure she's had to Spidey is when I tell her what happens in the comics. I recently recounted to her the time that someone shot at him, his spider-sense kicked in, he jumped away from the bullet, allowing it to nearly kill Aunt May.

He does similar neglectful things a few times in The Amazing Spider-Man that my wife, our friend, and I could have a discussion about it. Good times. I can't wait for the Blu-Ray Smile

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Let's see a show of hands, who's going to see Finding Nemo when it rereleases? Me! Me! Pick me! Very Happy

And me!

I actually do want to see it in 3D.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

But they release them in 2D, as well. I saw both The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast in 2D. I plan to do the same with Nemo. Smile

I didn't know that. I might get around to seeing it then.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I may or may not see it. Finding Nemo was one of the weaker Pixar movies, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

*gasp* Joe! Blasphemy! Be gone from this Cantina, thou who speakest such vile words! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

*gasp* Joe! Blasphemy! Be gone from this Cantina, thou who speakest such vile words! Shocked

Hey, don't get me wrong, it was good, but it doesn't hold a candle to Toy Story, WALL-E, or A Bug's Life.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 132 of 186