Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 176, 177, 178 ... 186, 187, 188  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote  

I saw two movies on Friday.

The LEGO Movie this was a lot of fun. I like watching the Star Wars LEGO specials, so I thought this might be fun to watch, and it was. Will Ferrell voices the bad guy, Morgan Freeman voices one of the good guys, and Liam Neeson plays bad cop. Not sure who the other voices were done by, but those were the ones I could recognize. They even did a neat thing with layering the story at the end. Not something I'd want to go out and buy on DVD, but it's worth watching.

3 Days to Kill is a CIA movie with Kevin Costner. It's kinda like Taken, but with more humor. I really enjoyed it. The laughs were good and well placed. It had cool action but without action being the center point of the movie. The characters and the story were fun. If you like action movies and Kevin Costner, I recommend checking this one out.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
It's like the Death Star engineers making the exhaust port 200m wide and sticking flashing neon signs around it saying 'shoot here, no Force needed'.

Bahahaha. That just made my day. Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Smile Glad you found it funny, Mara!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So... what does everyone think of the new batsuit?

I didn't like the big bat logo when I read The Dark Knight Returns, but it's not bad overall. I don't think any batsuit will ever come close to the awesomeness of the Nolan suit though.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
So... what does everyone think of the new batsuit?

I didn't like the big bat logo when I read The Dark Knight Returns, but it's not bad overall. I don't think any batsuit will ever come close to the awesomeness of the Nolan suit though.

The big bat logo has a purpose though. Even in The Dark Knight Returns, the idea behind it is sound (it draws the eye, and makes the chest the prime target for guns, which is the one area that he protects with bulletproof armor).

I think it looks really cool, and can't wait for this movie.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote  

Meh. Doesn't make me look forward to it anymore than I already am. And right now, I'm not very excited. I really did not like Man of Steel.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I am probably the only one, but I didn't feel Winter Soldier lived up to the hype. It was a good movie, but it had a lot of flaws. I can spell them out in a bit. But am I the only one that left feeling underwhelmed? Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
The big bat logo has a purpose though. Even in The Dark Knight Returns, the idea behind it is sound (it draws the eye, and makes the chest the prime target for guns, which is the one area that he protects with bulletproof armor).

I remember that. I just don't like the look of it. It looks... I don't know the word.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
I am probably the only one, but I didn't feel Winter Soldier lived up to the hype. It was a good movie, but it had a lot of flaws. I can spell them out in a bit. But am I the only one that left feeling underwhelmed? Confused

I'm looking forward to hearing this, I thought it was the greatest standalone Marvel film to date.

On the subject of the new Batsuit those who are curious need to read The Dark Knight Returns bu Frank Miller, maybe watch the animated film if you would rather (either works, though the graphic novel has a bit more to it). It will explain what they are going for with this film and also why the suit looks like that.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I think it looks pretty good. But I'm very conscious of the fact that visuals is practically the only thing Snyder can do well.

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

No, you're not alone. I've certainly heard one or two people grumble. Something about predictable plot - which is possible, I haven't given it much thought.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Don't read The Dark Knight Returns. At first we were like "Batman as a facist thug?" what an interesting satire! Then we found out that Frank Miller wasn't being ironic, he's just a sad, insecure misogynist with an asian fetish who needs to pump himself up with macho violence.

You should read his Holy Terror! only to be terrified yourself by what this guy thought was a good idea. He wanted to have Batman fight terrorism by indiscriminately going around murdering and torturing Arabs, but DC nixed that idea. No, of course he still did it, just without Batman.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Alrighty, are y'all ready for the list? Here it is.

Winter Soldier Disappointments:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Okay, I'm done whining. Enjoy. Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You make some interesting points, though in my opinion I think I only agree with the fifth one.

Quite a few of these though do fall under "To each their own" or "Your mileage may vary" or "people have different tastes".

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think the plot of Capt 2 made more sense than that of the Avengers. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the Avengers. Definitely in the top 3 super hero movies for me. But there's so many weird plot holes or overly convenient plot points in that film it's actually kinda hilarious. People just don't really think about them because the movie is so action packed and funny that you don't stop to think about what's going on, which is fine. Capt 2 was the least funny of any of the Avengers films. (Which isn't to say it wasn't funny, I cracked up a fair amount, but it relied on humor the least.) Which is why I think the tone seems a bit different. I don't think the chips thing at the end is any more ridiculous than say the magic tripods in Thor 2 pr the brain-washed Eric making a shut down button for the teseract in Avengers when he had no reason to. It's just a comic book thing.

I do agree they should have done more with Black Widow's back story. But I'm holding out they haven't done this because they want to make a Black Widow film. But (spoilers from the comics and from production announcements for future films:

I didn't have a real problem with the CG in the film. Maybe a few shots in that really big hanger, but otherwise I wasn't ever taken out of the moment. But then for some reason cheap computer effects look better than cheap practical effects. Good effects of either kind are preferable, obviously.

As for the constant action, if Cap and Thor 2 are any indication, these fils are taking their cues from the structure of Television, of which I will never complain. But it's a style preference thing like Taral said.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Dog: You know I'm really not a Batman fan per se. I am a Nolan fan and I love what he did with Batman. That interpretation of Batman is my favourite superhero ever, even though I usually enjoy Spider-Man more. I've found a lot of Batman comics I've read interesting, but I've yet to read one that I love.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 177 of 188