Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 186, 187, 188  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I remember watching and enjoying the first one. I've not seen the others though.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Saw X-Men: Days of Future Past yesterday. Pretty good movie, I'm interested to see where they go next.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Days of Future Past is worth it just to get rid of The Last Stand.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Saw X-Men: Days of Future Past yesterday. Pretty good movie, I'm interested to see where they go next.

Partially in anticipation for "where they go next" and partially because it's awesome in its own right...

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Watched The Fountain last night. Interesting movie.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

I actually don't mind The Last Stand - but I also like The Phantom Menace, so maybe I'm just weird.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:

I actually don't mind The Last Stand - but I also like The Phantom Menace, so maybe I'm just weird.

I don't mind The Last Stand either. It had some cool ideas, and there will never be as amazing casting as Kelsey Grammer as Beast. It had some execution and script problems, but it was quite entertaining. I was entertained.

Days of Future Past also got rid of X2: X-Men United, which was my favourite.

And also: I like The Phantom Menace too. Not even my least favourite Star Wars movie (that honour goes to Revenge of the Sith, which is still a 6.8/10 or so).

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
GrandMaster wrote:

I don't mind The Last Stand either. It had some cool ideas, and there will never be as amazing casting as Kelsey Grammer as Beast. It had some execution and script problems, but it was quite entertaining. I was entertained.

And also: I like The Phantom Menace too. Not even my least favourite Star Wars movie (that honour goes to Revenge of the Sith, which is still a 6.8/10 or so).

Revenge of the Sith is actually my favorite, probably because it is the only one I've seen in theaters (besides TCW).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
GrandMaster wrote:

Revenge of the Sith is actually my favorite, probably because it is the only one I've seen in theaters (besides TCW).

There ya go, to each their own, eh? ROTS is the only of the prequels I didn't see in theatres (May 2005 was the summer after my Freshman year of university, and I was living with my parents again for those four months between school, and there were no cinemas nearby and I didn't drive). I just felt ROTS had an endpoint that was set in stone (Anakin is Vader, Palpatine is Emperor, Republic is Empire, Jedi are dead, twins are born, Padmé is at best a devastated wreck and at worst dead, etc.), and so the movie was building to a known status quo, and thus lacked drama.

And while I fully understand that this is a weird criticism: to me, the movie felt not like an exciting work of fiction, but a somewhat-more-tedious re-enactment of historical events, told to educate.

But that's just me. And that's not to say I didn't like ROTS. I just like it less.

On an unrelated note, I'm hoping this weekend to see The Fault in our Stars. I loved the book, and I'm told it's a great adaptation.

The author, John Green, was on Colbert last night. The interview is on youtube; it was quite good.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

GrandMaster wrote:

I loathed it all around. It either character assassinated ot flat out killed every character I liked. Now X2 was fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Watched The Fountain last night. Interesting movie.

One of my favorite movies. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I'd need to watch it again before I have more concrete thoughts, but just based on my first viewing I got a very Buddhist vibe from it - specifically the idea of finding liberation in the cessation of conscious existence (i.e. nirvana). I know the conquistador storyline was likely fictional compared with the scientist storyline and the bubble-island storyline may have also been fictional (the last chapter of Izzy's book?), but the three storylines seemed linked to reincarnation to me. I got this sense as soon as I saw the scene where Izzy is stargazing. In the first timeline Tom is trying to cheat death by finding the Fountain of Youth, in the second timeline by creating a "cure", but finally by the third timeline he accepts death, escapes from his body, and reaches a nirvana of sorts.

My favourite part was when Tom drank from the tree and then burst into flowers. To me that's the movie in a nutshell. In the movie, the immortality Tom is looking for is a lost cause. The immortality he "gains" - or at least learns of, since he always had it - is the immortality of change. By dying, breaking down, and becoming part of something else, he lives forever.

I loved how elegantly this movie was fit together, with all the repeating motifs feeling like a poem. A lot of people are saying this movie made no sense, but I disagree. It's pretty obviously about accepting death and that death is the gateway to new life. Sure it's a trippy movie and I don't pretend to fully understand it, but nothing ever feels random. I feel like everything that is in this movie is there for a reason.

This is definitely a movie that will reward re-watches.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

X-Men: Last Stand killed off my least favorite X-Men movie character so he could go be in some other terrible movie. Only thing I didn't like about Days of Future Past was that he's alive again. :p

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I re-watched Drive yesterday. It's been a while since I've seen it, so I completely forgot that Oscar Isaac was in it!

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
X-Men: Last Stand killed off my least favorite X-Men movie character so he could go be in some other terrible movie. Only thing I didn't like about Days of Future Past was that he's alive again. :p

Ssssssh, what did Cyclops ever do to you? Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 181 of 188