Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 181, 182, 183  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I watched Prometheus today. I'd heard a lot of bad things about it, and it certainly wasn't some grand film. But it was entertaining. Now I just need to go watch the Alien saga again and still not understand what in the world was going on...!

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Watching Aliens won't help you understand Prometheus, since it doesn't have anything to do with those movies, per se.

The biggest misconception about the movie is that it takes place on the planet from Alien and that the creature at the end is one of the creatures from Alien, called xenomorphs. Neither of these is true, which explains why people are confused about how they connect to Alien. The planet in Prometheus is LV. 223, the planet in Aliens is called Acheron/ LV.246.

I assume that you understand all the stuff with the scientists, since it is pretty straight forward. In addition to Weyland wanting immortality, he also wanted alien teraforming technology, which was part of why he kept the mission a secret.

The reason David betrayed the crew is because he hated his own creator because he could not be human. That's the central theme of the movie, the basic biblical concept of man's Fall from Grace.

The basic story is that the alien Engineers have this stuff, the Black ooze, that rapidly accelerates mutation/ evolution. They went around and used it to seed life on barren planets throughout the galaxy, including Earth.

The movie doesn't infer why, but somehow they gained the ability of the Black Ooze to be used as a weapon. I believe that it was because the ooze reflects the spiritual state of it's user, and so if it is used by the corrupt it will create monsters, as seen in the movie.

The Black Ooze is what created the Xenomorphs from the Alien movies, but it is not known whether they were created by the Engineers or came about independently of them.

The Engineers saw that humans had become corrupt and so they wanted to unleash the Black Ooze all over the earth to destroy them. I don't remember exactly why, but for some reason they failed to do this. Maybe it was because they became contaminated by the ooze and set the whole operation into stasis where it was abandoned for thousands of years and that's where the scientists found it.

It's not alluded to in the movie, but the theory is that contact with the xenomorphs destroyed the Engineers homeworld, which was why they abandoned the installation/project on LV. 223. One of the Engineers infected with a xenomorph parasite crash landed on the planet Archeron/ LV 246, where it was found by the crew in the first Alien movie.

Prometheus takes place 28 years before Alien, but the implication is that the ship on LV246 has been there for thousands of years. In other words the "alien" and ship at the end are not the "alien" and ship from Alien.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Great explanation! I like it. Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Smile

I am starting my Alien marathon either tonight or tomorrow...

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DPW if everyone who talked trash would have thought a bit, paid attention and such, they would have arrived at these conclusions. They aren't hard to reach and they're self-explanitory, the movie makes sense but only if you watch instead of letting it be background noise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:34 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I watched Alien last night. I have seen it before, and I am an adult. But I still peek through my fingers...Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:25 am Reply with quote  

Mara, have you ever seen the making of documentary they did for Alien? I think it came with the box set for it. It's really cool and worth checking out. They talk with the artist guy who designed the aliens.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Brought out my Thor: The Dark World blu-ray and gave that a re-watch. Good times.

Also watched the Marvel Short that's on it, All Hail The King, about Ben Kingsley's character in Iron Man 3 (whom you'll recall played The Mandarin, but turned out to be an actor). The short film features a journalist trying to investigate the actor, and ends up opening up quite a few opportunities for future plots regarding the Ten Rings terrorist group and the real Mandarin. I'm hoping it will lead to plotlines in future movies or episodes of Agents of SHIELD.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Recently watched Armageddon and The Fugitive for the first time. Good movies, though Armageddon was longer than it needed to be (too many reaction shots from random people running in slow motion).

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Mara, have you ever seen the making of documentary they did for Alien? I think it came with the box set for it. It's really cool and worth checking out. They talk with the artist guy who designed the aliens.

I have not seen the documentary. I will be sure to check it out! Thanks to both of you for the input. I will be working my way through all ten films over the next couple weeks. Looking forward to it.

Now that I am in my own apartment (not sure that I've ever mentioned that), I have my new 50" TV, my 38" sound bar with subwoofer, and today I get my blu-ray player. I am so excited to be watching movies again! I have always loved movies and movie watching, but the last year or so of staying with a roommate had me mostly keeping to my room. But now I shall once again bask in the glorious movie experience.

I think I will begin by watching my blu-ray copy of Tron: Legacy. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm watching all of the Planet of the Apes movies. I've seen the original, "Beneath", and "Rise". The rest I'm watching for the first time.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

I have not seen the documentary. I will be sure to check it out! Thanks to both of you for the input. I will be working my way through all ten films over the next couple weeks. Looking forward to it.

Now that I am in my own apartment (not sure that I've ever mentioned that), I have my new 50" TV, my 38" sound bar with subwoofer, and today I get my blu-ray player. I am so excited to be watching movies again! I have always loved movies and movie watching, but the last year or so of staying with a roommate had me mostly keeping to my room. But now I shall once again bask in the glorious movie experience.

I think I will begin by watching my blu-ray copy of Tron: Legacy. Smile

Not my favorite movie but I'll admit with the right setup it is freaking beautiful!

Congrats on the apartment Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The dude who designed Alien was a swiss artist named HR Giger, he died pretty recently. His art is cool, but a lot of it is sexual, so don't check it out if that makes you uncomfortable.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I actually like Tron, but either way, it is the perfect movie to test both my sound bar and my blu-ray player. I knew it would make the most of both. Not to mention I only own three blu-rays at present, anyway. Wink

And I shall report that it was an amazing viewing. I was almost worried at one point that the neighbors might come ask me to turn it down! But they didn't. And I am glad.

So, with that...everybody is invited over for the next Star Wars viewing! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote  

Giger also designed the wicked looking creature that tore up the airplane wing in The Twilight Zone movie.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

So, with that...everybody is invited over for the next Star Wars viewing! Very Happy

I will totally bring popcorn, when is this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 182 of 183