Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 183, 184, 185, 186  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I really liked Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I thought the new human characters were pretty forgettable, but I loved what they did with the ape characters (yes, a motion capture chimp just totally upstaged Gary Oldman as by far the more memorable villain in the movie - and the same goes for the hero). I also like these new movies significantly more than the old ones. Both are exciting and thought-provoking, but I prefer the motion capture apes to costumed apes (yes costumed actors are physically there, but the masks look pretty lifeless compared with the motion capture expressions) and there isn't an anti-religion theme in the new ones. The old ones had Cornelius though. He's still my favourite character from all of the movies.

I agree. Dawn was fantastic. The story was far more gripping than the first one, and the CGI just blew me away. I would say the visual effects lie up there with Gravity, Avatar, and RotS, if not topping all of them. I seriously could not tell whether or not they used real apes or mo-capped, it was masterfully done.

As for the story:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Mad Max: Fury Road trailer is out!

I am so excited. Tom Hardy as Mad Max is going to be awesome.

http://youtu.be/akX3Is3qBpw

I'm also excited about this.
Juddging by the trailer, it has that Road Warrior vibe, which is cool and awesome and all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Anyone else watching Sharknado 2 tonight? Very Happy

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I might have asked this before, but I can't remember and don't want to dig through my post history to find out.

I remember watching one of the various adaptations of The Secret Garden when I was in elementary school, in particular the ending scene. After doing some searching on the 'Net, I thought the 1993 version was it - but it doesn't quite match up with what I remember. Most of it I do recall, but I'm pretty certain there was a closer focus shot on Mary, Archibald Craven, and Colin walking up to the house, and when Colin takes his father's cane, he holds it over his head as he runs. I also remember Colin having longer hair and wearing a different shirt/vest.

Is this in fact the 1993 version and I'm remembering some details wrong or a different version that ends similar?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

My mom and I watched The King's Speech last night. It's not the sort of movie I usually enjoy, but Geoffry Rush makes anything worth watching.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Guardians of the Galaxy. Seriously. Go see it! This may be the best Marvel film to date, but I'll judge that when my caffeine rush is over!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
Guardians of the Galaxy. Seriously. Go see it! This may be the best Marvel film to date, but I'll judge that when my caffeine rush is over!

I LOVED IT SO MUCH. I won't say it's my favourite (Captain America: The Winter Soldier was amazing on every level, and is hard to beat), but it was great.

My one criticism
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:00 am Reply with quote  

I went and saw two movies yesterday. Always fun to do a double feature.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: I really enjoyed the previous film and this one lived up as a good sequel. Good acting, great special effects, and a nice story. Yes, I cared about CGI apes. But even better, I cared about the human characters too. All around good job on this one.

@Jedi Joe: I did not catch the role reversal, but I would definitely agree with you.

Guardians of the Galaxy: I had to see this one and I was not disappointed. It was non-stop fun and entertainment with tons of humor. I'd say it's the best sci-fi movie I've seen since The Fifth Element, and that's a good movie to compare it to as they are both very similar in style.

As far as Marvel movies go, I liked this one more than anything I've seen since the first Iron Man. It was a lot of fun.

I also got to see the trailer for Exodus: Gods and Kings, which looked pretty cool, and The Battle for the Five Armies, which honestly didn't do a lot for me but I'm still going to go see it.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy today. Wow, what a great movie. I loved the humor, loved the references. I already can't wait for the sequel.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'm seeing Guardians of the Galaxy Friday. I've heard nothing but good things, and I see that those of y'all here who saw it really enjoyed it, so I'm excited.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I keep getting Guardians of the Galaxy confused with Rise of Guardians and Gaurdians of Gahool.

They need to think of some new titles.

I see that people were talking about the new Mad Max. At first I thought the idea of a reboot was stupid, but I changed my mind when I found out that it's by the same guy who made the other mad max movies, so it's really just another mad max, without mel gibson. That is OK.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote  

So it may have just have been because I've been playing a lot of Halo recently but I thought Starlord's pistols in Guardians of the Galaxy seemed very similar ascetically to the Covenant plasma rifles.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I adored GotG. It was witty, the characters were a lot of fun, and the plot moved quickly. I would call it the most enjoyable movie of the summer.

Just for fun, my rankings of the Marvel movies so far.

1. The Avengers
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Iron Man
5. Captain America
6. Thor: The Dark World
7. Thor
8. Iron Man 2
9. Iron Man 3
10. The Incredible Hulk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

How can you put The Dark World above Thor and Iron Man 3?! Shocked

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Guarantee my list looks like no one else's.

1. Avengers
2. Winter Solder
3. The Dark World
4. Guardians
5. Thor/The First Avenger
6. Iron Man 2
7. Iron Man 3
8. Iron Man

Haven't seen Hulk

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 184 of 186