Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 227, 228, 229  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wasn't able to make my Blade Runner showing today so I'll get back to you guys about in on Friday or Saturday but...I'm ridiculously excited.

Also I got Star Wars tickets last night so I'm psyched there as well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't know why, but for some reason I watched Requiem For A Dream. Don't worry, I'm not going to review that. But it made me think about how stupid and ridiculous the MPAA ratings board is.

I think this movie should have been rated PG. I'm serious. Think about it. Despite it's theme, it doesn't actually show any drug use, any violence, and I think there's like one swear word.

The scene that got it an NC17 rating, which was cut out for the R rated version, is less than 3 seconds of suggested sexuality. Out of the four shots that were cut, each one less than a second long, one just shows a condom, and one shows a close up of the side of a butt cheek. The most explicit scene is two butts together, and a one second shot of two topless women not together.

Yeah, the idea of the scene can't be shown, but it wasn't shown in either version. And the idea is exactly the same in both versions, you just have to slightly use your imagination less in the NC17 cut. So if the idea itself isn't bad enough for the NC17 rating, why is three seconds of non explicit material suggesting that idea worth the rating?

And in the R rated version you have a much longer scene showing Marlon Waynes' butt. They didn't have a problem with that. In fact, there is a Netflix comedy entirely about Marlon Waynes' butt, that's how inoffensive it is. So yeah, PG rated.

A three or four second shot of blood dripping out of a guys head will get you an NC17 rating. A 1 or 2 second shot is an R rating. A guy getting shot in the head with no blood is PG13. And the idea of a guy getting shot in the head, but not showing it is just fine for a kids movie.

It's the duration of fake blood that is the problem, not the act of murder. This is actually what the MPAA thinks morality is. Movie depiction of reality is actually considered offensive.

That's why you can have sexual assault in a PG rated movie, but showing actual footage of a married couple making love, something that everyone in the world believes to be a morally good thing, can't be shown in a movie theater, even to adults.

How does that make any sense?

Here's a movie that features various misdemeanor crimes, property destruction, stalking, sexual harassment, lewd and public indecency, attempted sexual assault, aggravated assault, attempted murder, suggested incest, animal endangerment, drug use by teens, racism, murder, terrorism, and worst of all intellectual property/ copyright violation!!!

This was surely banned nation wide, right? Nope, it was rated PG. Can you guess the film?

I'll give you a hint, it was the most famous movie featuring Huey Lewis and The News that didn't have a guy getting chopped up with an axe.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Um...Back to the Future?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

"F***! Even in the future nothing works!" Oh wait, that's Spaceballs. That was rated PG too! Shocked And that has way more phallic objects than Requiem, just saying.

Tomorrow I'm going to go see Geostorm. LOL. You may find it hard to believe, but I actually like popcorn movies and I enjoy most of the movies that I see.

Yesterday I was at my parents house skimming a reader's digest that was talking about Nabokov's novel Pale Fire. I don't read him, so I wasn't familiar, but it sounded interesting. Then that night I saw that Wisecrack uploaded a video about how Pale Fire is a major influence on the new Blade Runner; besides the themes, it contains quotations and the book itself is being read by the characters. The video is called "Does memory make us human?"

I'm not trying to plug the site, I'm just finding this synchronicity a little freaky.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Just saw Blade Runner 2049. Loved it! Such a beautiful aesthetic, it really stayed true to the original. Also, the music was on point.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16, did you see Blade Runner yet? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. Not that I don't appreciate everyone else's too.

Notice that the film had no opening credits. I feel personally attacked.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@DPW: I did, yeah. I'm still processing it and I'll try to do a long write-up on it tomorrow or Friday night but the short answer is that I really loved it, but it just isn't going to be as good as the original. Having said that, I knew it wouldn't be so that allowed it to stand as a great sequel for me (no sequel made 30 years after the original film has any right to be that good, seriously).

In other film news our local film fest is on here (Tallgrass Film Festival for anyone interested in looking it up) and the opening night gala was this evening. While the party was fun, the film preceding it was great! Quentin Korg's For the Birds, a South African film that is fairly cliche and predictable but manages to be just adorable and well-executed enough to work. I found it genuinely charming and the leads were great. The female lead was there for a Q&A and she talked a lot about the filmmaking process over there, really fascinating stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Tonight I saw Thor 3.

I'm not sure if I liked it better than Guardians of the Galaxy 2, or if I liked it equally. But I really liked it.

The only thing I didn't like was that it was a little too much like GOG. By that I mean sarcastic humor, which I don't think fits for Thor. Thor is supposed to be absurd because of his lack of self awareness. In this Thor is making a lot of ironic jokes that really comes off as just like Starlord. It would be fine if that series didn't exist, but it does, and so it feels like an attempt to copy that. It also starts with a musical montage, and I was worried that was going to be throughout the film, but thankfully it was just for the opening.

I think that I must have got the same audience from the Avengers that thinks these films are the most hilarious comedies ever made. "Thor bumped his knee on a coffee table!" Laughs hysterically. Can you please hold your loud outbursts for more than a five second duration? I'm trying to enjoy the cinema experience, not watching an episode of Two and A Half Men.

Like people were laughing every time that Loki appeared on screen, even if he wasn't telling a joke or there wasn't any gag. Just his appearance. I know that Tom Hiddleston is funny looking, but show a little sensitivity.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I just saw an interview last night where Chris Hemsworth said he was tired of the character, and he and the director agreed to change it up. That sounds odd to me, since you're essentially changing the character in the middle of a franchise, but...they're the ones making millions. What can I say.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The director is very funny, so I'm pretty Ok with him doing his thing. I think that Thor 3 was funnier than GOG. GOG2 had us all crying into our popcorn buckets over our daddy issues, so I think that depth makes it the better movie. Thor is pretty fluffy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote  

I loved Thor: Ragnarok and I really liked the humor. It's like the antithesis of a DC movie - this one is bright and fun and funny. It's a great, enjoyable experience. Was it too much humor? I don't think so. I think it worked. It does feel like a copy cat of Guardians, but on the other hand, the Guardians formula worked so well. I'd rather see that formula than the Avengers formula Wheaton was using. I think the change in direction for Thor is a positive one, because for me, it's saving the character and making him more likeable than ever.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Gotta say, Thor 3 landed for me but it is wall-to-wall gags. There are things that really needed a moment.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Outside of those issues I was fine with it. Probably the most fun I've had in a Marvel movie in years. I've always enjoyed the Thor movies for what they were - swashbuckling adventures with next-to-no plot, beautiful stuff for Hiddleston to show off just how much better of an actor he is than most of the rest of the cast, and scenery for Anthony Hopkins to knaw on. I enjoyed them despite massive flaws but I think this is the most coherent of the 3 and managed to feel like a Thor movie.

It weirds me out that Hemsworth said he was sick of the character so they switched it up, only to kind of still make it a Thor character. I didn't see tons of difference, he's still a smarmy and cocky dude in a fish-out-of-water situation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Didn't Chris Evans say that he didn't want/ wasn't going to play Cap anymore? I'm sure that they like the paycheck, but I can't imagine that any actor really enjoys doing 15 movies of the exact same thing in front of greenscreen.

Question: Are there any movies that had a general perception and/or director's intent that was totally different from your interpretation, and that lessened the enjoyment of the film for you?

Is that too vague of a concept, do I need to give an example first?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nah, I gotcha.

I think The Uninvited (1944, Lewis Allen) plays like a rom-com for me and is my favorite example of this. It's supposed to be a horror movie and it's regarded as one of the eeriest of all time, influencing directors like Cronenberg and Del Toro. To me, though, it's just adorable and I see it as a romantic comedy. The fear never hits me but on the level I perceive it I think it's fun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Watched Spider-Man: Homecoming a couple nights ago. Wow. It was awful. I hate to say that, because I have loved virtually every Marvel movie. But I couldn't wait for it to be over.

The plot was boring, the humor wasn't funny, Tom Holland spent the entire movie with what I like to call the Frodo expression on his face. He didn't come across as young and inexperienced, he came across as dumb and a doofus. And that's just for the character. Not to mention other aspects of the movie, such as the suit. So now Spider-Man basically has an Iron Man suit, but with webs? And the webs! The strength of the webs was never consistent. One minute they could stop a jet turbine from turning, the next they snapped under the weight of a single person.

There was no character development! We didn't get to know anything about Peter Parker, and his "friends" were unlikable extras.

Plot conveniences were obnoxious, such as the cell phone ringing when he's spying on the bad guys. Etc.

There was no originality in the film whatsoever. If you're going to remake Spider-Man for the THIRD time, at least try to do something special.

I am shocked at how much I disliked it, but it was very poor. I actually find myself nostalgic for the original Tobey Maguire movies, especially Spider-Man 2.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 228 of 229