Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 229, 230, 231  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
My only worry about Newmanji, is that all the jokes were in the trailer.

A lot were, but not all. And I th8nk I only saw the trailer once, and didn’t retain many fine details.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I watched Jumanji. It was fun and funny. I liked it.

The ending of the movie didn't make a lot of sense, and that was the only part I didn't like.

The characters all had one basic archetype that they stuck with and I expected it to get annoying, but they all did a good job of making it come off as sincere and they didn't just use the same gag repeatedly.

There was one that did get repeated, but it was actually a plot point so it didn't feel unnecessary.

The existential tension between their avatars and genuine selves is what overcame that tedium and created real character conflict, which was a really good writing choice. That made the characters more interesting, but it also helped raise the stakes with drama because the fantastic scenario could never serve as a believable conflict or have any consequences.

The movie also has a simple story and doesn't try to be cynical or force a moral message, which is pretty rare even for an action comedy.

And I said a lot more than I had planned on.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^^I think I know what you mean about the ending (see spoiler text):

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
^^I think I know what you mean about the ending (see spoiler text):

We're actually spoiler tagging Jumanji Confused...

And making him a well known actor in essentially a cameo was immersion breaking for me. I could suspend disbelief about the other big actors because they were supposed to be simulations and they also had developed characters, not just a couple minutes of screen time.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

To go a different direction, I watched *The Killing of a Sacred Deer* last night. I don’t know if I liked that or not.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

*nods* Jumanji sounds like a fun movie. I think I might actually watch it sometime. Thanks.

While my wife and son have been visiting my in-laws, I watched 2 movies: War for the Planet of the Apes and Despicable Me 3. I liked them both.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Here's my best and worst list. No surprises. I saw like a hundred movies this year and I can't remember any of them.

I don't think I saw any "serious" movies this year, but I guess they released a bunch of oscar bait in the last few months, and I was kind of checked out by then. There wasn't even any stupidly bad movies. Mostly everything was just formulaic and mediocre.

Liked
1. Blade Runner 2
2. Get Out
3. Life
4. War of Apes
5. Monster Trucks. That's not a joke.

Hated
1. mother!
2. A Cure For Wellness
3. Alien: Covenant
4. The Last Jedi
5. Nothing was as offensive as the above, so I guess I’ll just say Ghost In the Shell. Although I didn’t actually watch it. lol

Actually, the best movie that I saw this year was one that I think is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but it's from the 80's. It's the Belarusian WWII film "Come And See". I never posted my review here, so maybe I will still do that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'll drop a top 5 best list. I kinda like this idea.

1. mother!
2. Blade Runer 2049
3. Lady Bird
4. War for the Planet of the Apes
5. Personal Shopper

It's weird for me that this year's Star Wars movie isn't in my top 5. I would place it more in the middle of my film list for the year and that kind of frustrates me a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

prevert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My Top 5 would be:
1. Wonder Woman
2. War for the Planet of the Apes
3. It
4. Blade Runner 2049
5. Coco

Biggest disappointments:
1. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (I managed to enjoy it for what it was, but man, this wasn't the King Arthur movie we need...)
2. The Great Wall (I love Zhang Yimou, but this movie was a mess)
3. Dunkirk (A fine movie, but underwhelming coming from Christopher Nolan)
4. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
prevert

...for more than just mother!?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
prevert

...for more than just mother!?

lol, I wasn't even thinking of that. I was talking about Personal Shopper.

I don't even think the film is explicitly about voyeurism, that's just one aspect of it. But I find that to be interesting because I guess I'm a pervert, or an artist. Same thing.

I didn't actually see the movie, just read about it. I don't like Kristen Stewart anymore because of her support for Woody Allen, speaking of perverts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's actually a really good movie. I grew up knowing Polanski was a monster but that he made great films so I've kind of learned to enjoy the art without condoning the artist. Woody Allen is disgusting but he's made some wonderful films. I won't knock Kristen Stewart for her performances. I think it's deplorable that she defends Woody Allen (although I don't think she really is, I think she just said he's a great director which is true) but she's turned into an amazing actress.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote  

Saw 12 Strong over the weekend and I liked it. Partly it's a war movie with some action and battles, but it's also got a nice character focus.

Saw Three Bilboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri today and that was really good. Fantastic film. Terrific acting and great writing. I loved how the characters played out. Highly recommend checking that one out.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alex Garland said that he would like to do a Swamp Thing movie!!!

It's not even a plan, and I'm too hype. I'm trying to temper expectations for Annihilation, I really don't want to get let down. I heard it was really good though from a test screener. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 230 of 231