Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 182, 183, 184  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote  

@Life: in a way, Idris Elba fights inside of a "mecha-godzilla" against other giant monsters Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I just saw Thor: The Dark World today. It was amazing - great story, lots of good character moments and humor.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I saw Catching Fire two nights ago. Lots of fun! As good, if not better, than the first Hunger Games movie. And about as fun as the book.

They cut a lot from the book, but either it was unnecessary, bad for a movie (books and movies are different media, after all), or a direct result of something cut for the first movie. Any content that was conveyed in a "cut" scene that was essential to the plot was reallocated easily enough, for example:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Great film. Now I need to read Mockingjay Smile
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I saw The Book Thief tonight... well much of it anyway. I missed about the first half hour due to a misunderstanding. Because, of this I'm probably not qualified to say what I thought of it, but I'll do it anyway.

It was a good movie and a good adaptation, which is what I was expecting, even though I was hoping for greatness. And... yeah, it fails to imitate the book's greatness. Honestly, I would have made it three hours instead of two and a bit. I think it's worth it, because when you're adapting a 500 page book, the scenes cut begins to get painful and to a book fan, the movie feels like a summary. There was so, so much that couldn't fit in a two hour movie. The small details are actually really important to this story (thank goodness they kept the German insults though!). The details they did keep though made me grin from ear to ear. The book flew by and I never felt bored (which admittedly, I often do when I'm reading a long book) and, if done well, I think a three hour movie adaptation of The Book Thief could be the same. I thought the characters were mostly done well, especially Liesel. I thought Rosa was miscast though. Emily Watson is just too mild mannered to play Rosa. The ending, not to give it away, disturbed me, as it did in the book. I think the last scene felt the most like The Book Thief to me. It was wonderfully (if awfully) done.

As a side note, I was somewhat amused when I looked at the audience behind me after the movie was over and saw that I looked to be the only person below the age of 50 in the audience. I guess the young'uns were all watching Thor or Catching Fire. Wink

Speaking of which I haven't seen Catching Fire yet (I considered going tonight, but I rushed out when I saw that The Book Thief was playing at a theatre). I liked the book The Book Thief considerably more than the book Catching Fire, so it'll be interesting to compare the adaptations. One of the reasons I enjoyed The Hunger Games movie as much as I did was because it was under my radar (same year as The Dark Knight Rises, Brave, and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey) and it went on to become my favourite movie of 2012.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Who is emily watson? Is that the same or different person than emma watson?

Life Is The Path wrote:
Really, a godzilla movie? Somehow that never came up. All I seem to hear relates to Idris Elba. Wait, is he the godzilla? Did they Gollum him up?

I loved this comment.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Darth Skuldren wrote:
@Life: in a way, Idris Elba fights inside of a "mecha-godzilla" against other giant monsters Laughing

Okay I definitely have to see this movie! That sounds so ... ludicrous, but potentially awesome.

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I loved this comment.

Very Happy
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Pacific Rim drinking game: Every time they say "Jaegar", do a shot of one.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Pacific Rim drinking game: Every time they say "Jaegar", do a shot of one.

Alcohol poisoning.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I saw Catching Fire a couple of days ago. The book was my favorite in The Hunger Games trilogy and I was extremely pleased that the movie was so faithful. I'm actually looking forward to the Mockingjay films, despite rather loathing the book.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Who is emily watson? Is that the same or different person than emma watson?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Watson

Different person than Emma Watson

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I saw Catching Fire a couple of days ago. The book was my favorite in The Hunger Games trilogy and I was extremely pleased that the movie was so faithful. I'm actually looking forward to the Mockingjay films, despite rather loathing the book.

Does anyone have views about the whole "break the final book into two movies" trope that I've seen alot?

My opinion is that Harry Potter opened Pandora's box when that franchise released Deathly Hallows in two parts, which has resulted in a glut of half-made movies exclusively for the purpose of bilking us out of our money. Because of course we're going to see both; have you met us? We can't not!

I remember when my wife and I saw The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1. She gave me a rundown of the book's plot before I went in. And no word of a lie: every single thing she told me about the book's story happened in the first movie. I left thinking "what else is there to tell?" Then I saw Part 2 and realized that I was right, and that Breaking Dawn might've been done in one movie (albeit a long one).

I suspect Harry Potter could've done the same; have a three or three-and-a-half hour movie that contains everything the story needs and nothing the story doesn't (read: epilogue). I also suspect Mockingjay could be done in one movie. But of course, I'll still see both parts, because I'm me and then know it.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Honestly, I have no problem with splitting a book into two movies and actually quite like the idea depending on the book. Yeah, it's making studios more money, but it can also help the story. One of the biggest gripes I have with movie adaptations is that they often feel rushed. In my last post I was saying that, while the makers of The Book Thief movie understood the book, it's themes and it's characters, they simply didn't have enough time to do the book justice. Splitting the story into two movies would have solved the problem! I was thinking The Book Thief might have been better suited to a mini-series, and I still think that would have been the best option, but multiple movies could have worked as well.

A lot happens in Mockingjay and I think having two movies is a good idea. However, I think turning The Hobbit into three three hour films is beyond excessive. One two-and-a-half hour movie should have done the trick.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The idea of splitting the Harry Potter books into two movies was being floated back when they made Goblet of Fire, and each book after that could easily have been two movies, so splitting Deathly Hallows really worked and was more about telling the story than making money.

Breaking Dawn, on the other hand, was just about making money - that book didn't even have enough content for one movie, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'm a little dubious about Mockingjay being two films, simply because the book isn't that long. Potter, by contrast, is a pretty hefty volume. Even two movies left out significant plot points. What I'm assuming they'll do with Mockingjay is stray even farther away from Katniss' POV than the first two movies did, which would let us see much more of Peeta, Gale, Johanna, President Snow, and Effie. If that's the direction they go, it could work.

And even one Twilight movie was too many. Ick.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't like it when book adaptations try to stay completely faithful to the source material. If I want the book, I'll read the book. I expect adaptations to take liberties when re-telling the story.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 168 of 184