Computers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

It'll be fine. Only way it'd get damaged is if the hard disk was exposed.
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
Ok so I'll be going away on a trip this coming week and it involves air travel. So my question is: can the airport security baggage x-ray machine damage my laptop in any way? While I'd like to be able to take my laptop with me I don't want to find out I accidentally fried the system or had data get erased.

I take my laptop with me on every trip I take for work (which is about 6 trips a year, at least 12 trips through security). I've never had a problem.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Luke is correct, your machine should be fine. They're incredibly durable, considering the complex nature of their design/function. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote  

Thanks guys for all the responses!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote  

So my dad's old laptop (Windows XP) has been acting strange lately. When using the web browser it won't display the webpage fully (on Amazon what are normally buttons only show the text or the text and button are missing entirely). I checked to see if pop up blockers were to blame or if it was an issue of the web browser being out of date but everything seems fine.

The problem is on both Firefox and IE but I couldn't find anything obviously wrong with either browser. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like:

If any of you guys have advice for what might be wrong and how to fix it I'd greatly appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dad finally bit the bullet a bought a new desktop computer for Christmas since updates for Windows XP will stop after April. We've had the XP computer for 8 years at least if not longer. I don't think he cares too much for Windows 8 right now; it took him several days to figure out how everything worked. Not only that, but his FB was hacked.

They gave me a replacement battery for my laptop yesterday; for most of this year my old one no longer held charge as long as it used to, so I needed to replace it. Anyone have any advice as to how I can get the most life out of my new battery (not running it down all the time is obvious)?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

OK, I have an urgent question that needs answering. I can't ask my computer savvy uncle and I don't know if Dad can help since it was partially his fault that I have the issue I'm having, so here goes.

I got a new laptop battery for Christmas. Wednesday afternoon I inserted it in the computer and started the charge/discharge process to calibrate it. I did one charge/discharge cycle in the afternoon. Started the second in the evening and turned the computer off when I went to bed. After I got up Thursday morning I resumed discharging the battery and recharged it for the second cycle.

So far, so good.

I started the third and final cycle recommended for calibration around lunchtime. About 2:30 PM, I went to my bedroom to lie down. Before I did so, I took my computer in the living room to allow the battery to finish running down since there was less then an hour of charge left. I told Dad and Mom that and the laptop needed to be plugged back in once the battery was nearly dead so it could recharge.

After I got up from my nap at 4:00 I had a few things to do so it was around 5:00 before I finally unplugged the laptop from the living room outlet, took it back to my bedroom and plugged it in -

only to discover that the battery light in front of the touchpad on the keyboard/display was not lit up, and when I rolled the mouse over the battery icon at the bottom of the screen, it said "Plugged in, not charging." Eventually the battery light did come on and it charged up to 100%. I left it plugged in until I went to bed, but the next morning it was the same again - battery light not on, "plugged in, not charging."

Yesterday morning I ran the laptop off the battery and then recharged it; when I plugged the charger in the battery light showed orange right away and it stayed orange and then green for the rest of the day and I thought the problem was over.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. The display is showing the same thing happening now as I type - no battery light on, "plugged in, not charging." The only thing I can think of is that I unplugged my charger last night before the laptop finished shutting down, but why would that cause problems?

The initial occurence of the problem on Thursday evening is similar to one I had several weeks ago with my old battery. That time I made the mistake of unplugging my charger and closing the hinge on my laptop before the screen went black. When I got up the next morning one of the lights was glowing orange, meaning my laptop had actually been on all night and the battery had been killed. I had issues with the battery light and display then too, but it resolved itself in a few days.

I think what happened this time is that Dad and Mom were busy watching TV while I was asleep and weren't keeping an eye on my laptop, so by the time they noticed it needed to be plugged in the battery had probably been completely dead for a while.

My question is: why am I still having problems with the battery light and "plugged, not charging," after three days? I've kept it plugged in most of the time since Thursday evening. The battery power when I unplug the charger is just fine; no sudden drops in power and it lasts as long as it's supposed to. I don't lose but about three percent of battery power every time I unplug the charger and shut the laptop down.

What's the deal here?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Dad finally bit the bullet a bought a new desktop computer for Christmas since updates for Windows XP will stop after April. We've had the XP computer for 8 years at least if not longer. I don't think he cares too much for Windows 8 right now; it took him several days to figure out how everything worked. Not only that, but his FB was hacked.

They gave me a replacement battery for my laptop yesterday; for most of this year my old one no longer held charge as long as it used to, so I needed to replace it. Anyone have any advice as to how I can get the most life out of my new battery (not running it down all the time is obvious)?

The one thing I advise people who are used to Windows (XP or Vista) is to not get Windows 8.

I had a co-worker (older fellow), who bought a new computer and got Windows 8 for it and hates it. I kinda laugh about it, because it means he a) didn't bother testing the computer he was buying, or even the unfamiliar software that was probably preloaded on dozens of machines in the store, and b) didn't bother doing any research whatsoever. This is the fellow who bought three cars in succession because he felt really uncomfortable when driving around for a bit, but didn't bother test driving any of the cars for any length of time, which would have told him he wouldn't like it.

Windows 8 is great for tablets and touch-screens and even for general use if you know what you're doing. But I urge caution to people buying new machines and assuming that Windows 8 is just a logical next-step of Windows 7 (as 7 was to Vista, as Vista was to XP, and so on).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have Windows 8 and I like it just fine. It took a little bit to get used to, but after that, no problems.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any info on something. I uninstalled Java (not Java Script) because I finally got fed up with how long it would take my computer to fully boot -- I have a desktop and the OS is Vista so it's a bit old but I've still got tons of room on it.

Anyway, before I removed Java, I did a search and got mixed messages on how necessary Java is. Some said you didn't need it and others said you do, but I removed it anyway. Now my loading speed is majorly improved, and nothing seems to be adversely affected. So my question is how necessary is Java anyway? Anyone know?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Java is not necessary to the operation of your machine. However, Java is required for quite a majority of applciations these days. If you are a very minor computer user, then I would say don't bother reinstalling it until something you need requires it. But if you're functioning with no problems, you're fine. You'll know when you need it, as something will complain that you don't have it. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote  

so something I've noticed running my virus scan: the number of files scanned during a full scan varies from scan to scan. Not by a small amount but in the realm of 15,000 or more files (the last one was more of a 50,000 file difference). Now I haven't manually deleted anything in a while and I'm not downloading boatloads of stuff either so it can't be explained by anything I'm consciously doing.

I haven't noticed any performance issues so I'm not inclined to say virus (nor have I downloaded anything mysterious or clicked on suspicious links) but it does kinda bother me when the virus scanner has such wild variations in the number of files scanned. Is that just normal anti-virus scanner behavior or do I have a reason to worry? (I use McAfee provided by my internet provided btw).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was never impresed with McAfee (deleted it within a day), so I can't really say how it works, but it may ignore files that were recently scaned. Your temp files may also change the amount of files your anti virus scans, other than that I have no clue.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Hogy's right. McAfee (and most antivirus scanners) will flag files that it has recently marked clean and won't check them on the next scan. This can lower the number of files that are scanned. Also, Windows is constantly creating and deleting temporary files, as are all the other programs on your computer. This will affect the number of files present at any given time, which can significantly raise (or lower) the number of files to be scanned. The amount will always be different, so no worries.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote  

Thanks Mara and Hogy!

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you Hogy about McAfee, it's not necessarily the most impressive thing but it's an improvement over the anti-virus my internet company used to provide (and I'm not really going to complain since they're providing it for free). I don't really know much about how the different anti-virus programs out there are rated so I've not been inclined to try a different program since I can't be certain I would be picking a program that's more effective than my current one.

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Hogy's right. McAfee (and most antivirus scanners) will flag files that it has recently marked clean and won't check them on the next scan. This can lower the number of files that are scanned. Also, Windows is constantly creating and deleting temporary files, as are all the other programs on your computer. This will affect the number of files present at any given time, which can significantly raise (or lower) the number of files to be scanned. The amount will always be different, so no worries.

That's interesting, thank you for the extra explanation Mara! I kinda suspected (or at least hoped) the computer was creating/deleting temporary files as part of the natural process of running. Still better safe than sorry and finding out that my computer is on the blink right before taking my doctoral exams.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 9 of 11