Computers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote  

I tried, didn't seem to really solve the problem. Oh well I guess I can just keep up with the uninstall battle since that at least does the trick. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has had this weird issue with Reader deciding it is the One Ring of pdf programs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Whenever I try to browse, Chrome has a temper tantrum and freezes, even after being so well behaved just a few minutes before. I've deleted cookies but no luck. I've restarted but no luck. I've updated but no luck. Please help!

Beard lovin' Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

This is super duper belated, but what is your operating system?

I've just purchased dual monitors to update my machine! Not sure why I didn't go dual in the first place. I wanted to go ahead with triple, but my desk isn't really big enough, and I would be taxing out my current video card. It's an excellent card, but the most I should burden it with is two. Can't wait until they arrive! I will post pictures once setup is complete. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm using Windows 8.1 and my brightness isn't working. The bar doesn't move when I press Fn and the up or down keys. I've tried adjusting it in the Power Options and, while I can move the bar, the brightness doesn't actually adjust. Not a huge deal, but annoying nonetheless.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Have you tried using f.lux? It doesn't really adjust your brightness but it like adds this orange tinge to your screen after sunset, so the screen is easier to look at.

https://justgetflux.com/

I've been using it for a while and it's pretty great

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ That could work. I'd still like to get to the bottom of this if possible.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

...And the problem fixed itself. Windows installed an update and now the brightness is working again. It looks like I wasn't the only one having this problem either. Must have been a Windows 8.1 problem.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So I'm hoping to get rid of an old laptop. I'm probably just going to throw it away (it is quite old), but I'd like to try to delete and/or corrupt the harddrive before I do anything. Does anyone have any tips for wiping a harddrive (without a pre-existing restore disc)?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Pour water on it? Seems to work for me.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Generally speaking, I don't get rid of hard drives. They are just hard to erase, and hard to destroy. Unless you'd like to take a hammer or some thermite to it, my recommendation would be to simply remove it and keep in a drawer somewhere. When you're feeling stressed one day, have at it with a sledgehammer! But be careful, when the metal sheers off, it can be quite dangerous. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that's 5 1/2 years old. Early last year I started having some problems with the screen suddenly going blue followed by a computer shutdown, occasional 'check disk' popping up whenever I booted the laptop up, and issues with Firefox freezing up when I try to surf the Internet. After having my uncle, who is a computer tech, look at it, the problems stopped for a while, but now they're back.

This time it's worse, though, because the last few times I've tried to run the laptop on battery power, it only goes a minute or two before abruptly shutting down with no warning. I'm fairly certain the battery is not draining quickly and it is always fully charged when I pull the cord out. What could be the problem?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote  

EDIT: So a clean install seems to have solved things...but still so aggravating.

So I'm currently hating Photoshop right now. I can't figure out why but it isn't displaying images correctly. For example, if I look at a photo using the default Windows 8 picture view the colors and contrast are all correct but as soon as I open the exact same image in Photoshop it's overexposed with way too high contrast making everything dark.

I've searched Google but mostly the only stuff that comes up are tips for adjusting the color of the image, not adjusting the settings for Photoshop (I've looked but I can't find a menu that allows me to select color profiles to make sure it's using the correct one for my monitor). I'm using Photoshop Elements 11. Do you guys have any suggestions of where I can find a menu option to adjust the color/monitor profile Photoshop uses?

(I had a similar problem with InDesign and Adobe's official tech support could only offer me the insightful advice that InDesign isn't for manipulating photos; quite possibly the most incompetent tech support I've ever dealt with).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote  

Hey so new computer question since I'm looking to set up internet in my new apartment. Basically I'm trying to sort through all of the different types of wifi standards there are. Now I checked and my desktop uses 802.11bgn. Which I gather is not the most latest and greatest standard (802.11ac I think?). So I think that means I can just go with a more basic router/modem instead of the latest high tech stuff. But I just want to check since all of this is kinda confusing.

It seems though that before I even begin figuring out what kind of router/modem I need I need to figure out what standard my device runs on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well...the short answer is that you don't have to worry, it doesn't matter. The longer version to follow:

802.11bgn shouldn't be thought of as one standard. It's actually three. 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11n. Or you could even argue four, for the original 802.11. Each is simply an extension on top of the others. You are correct that these are "older" standards. They all operate on the 2.4 GHz channel.

802.11ac, on the other hand, is the newer standard, and considered dual band. It is considered dual band because it operates on both the older channel for 802.11bgn, 2.4 GHz, but it also operates on the newer 5 GHz channel.

So what does this mean for you? It means that practically any router will work. The older routers will work, because all b, g and n routers are compatible with your hardware. The newer routers will work because they are backward compatible. And with that in mind, I recommend any TP-LINK router, simply because I always have great luck with their products. Here's one to consider (I have the predecessor, and it's still going strong):

TP-LINK TL-WR720N Wireless N150 Router,150Mbps, Internal Antenna, IP QoS

Note the letter n on the end of the model, TL-WR720N, meaning this router uses the n standard. Which your hardware supports, being 802.11bgn. Hope that makes sense! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote  

Thanks Mara! I was looking at that companies models (the n600 I believe). One thing I'm not clear about are the lisited mbps. Mainly I'm not sure what's a good amount, too little, or overkill. Obviously I'll be playing games like TOR and I'm hoping to have friends over for LFD2 lan parties but I'm not sure how many mbps I'd need for that.

I'm going to buy the modem myself too (rather than rent it from the ISP) so I should just make sure it has the same or greater mbps and has at least the same bgn compatability, right? EDIT: and of course make sure it's compatible with my ISP. I don't see anything indicating that I need to check if a router is compatible with the ISP, just the modem. Do I have that right?

Also do you have any tips on deciphering ISP speak for different Internet speeds? I was going to start with their standard package which is 15mb download speed and upgrade from there if I need to. But I'm mainly going on the assumption that they're info on the website is misleading to persuade you to buy a more expensive package than you need.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 11 of 12