Fate of the Jedi 2: Omen by Christie Golden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Son Of Skywalker wrote:
This weekend I'll have it Very Happy From what I hear, it's got enough quality to compensate for its shortness. A thing that personally really bothers me is when people complain about length; it's too short so it's garbage. No, a lot of the times the short ones are winners because that author understands what matters.

I know many people paid 20 bucks or more for it (I always get SW hardcovers for 19 at Borders), but no one forced you to buy the hardcover. A paperback version will be out in six months.

Its painful to pay but what would be worse is sitting here for six months till even ABYSS would be out just so you can pay less for a paperback while everyone on here discusses it and you can't click the spoilers cause you wanna read it yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

That's your choice. It's you who wants to read it. From what I can tell, that means the authors have done their jobs Take what you get-- I'm glad we even have it.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh don't get me wrong, its a good read. I have complaints about the series sure, there are complaints about any series, doesn't mean they're not enjoyable. I just think criticisms should be voiced because if the authors and stuff truly research using these threads (hence the reason for no author bashing) then constructive criticism in the threads may be desirable. OMEN was a great read, both books in the series have been so far. I disagree with its length because as Star Wars fans we've come to expect full length and this did indeed leave you wanting more, but not because the book was THAT good but because it felt undone as an installment. My only other complaint about the series is that its all hardcover and thats simply a way to bring in more money.

Now for my loves. Great series. OUTCAST started it off well storywise and OMEN continues with good momentum and excitingly well-written references to the Sith Tribe and to other things that we've long wanted to see. Christie Golden is a wonderful author and I'm glad she's on board for this series. With her, Denning, and good ol Aaron we should have a good series on our hands filled with Aaron Allston's sense of adventure, Christian Golden's ability to weave drama with old-fashioned Star Wars adventure, and Denning's gift for tragedy. My praises outshine my complaints, but I still believe the complaints need to be voiced.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I take mine out from the library and, if they're good, I'll buy them on paperback.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
My only other complaint about the series is that its all hardcover and thats simply a way to bring in more money.

That's not illegal, just annoying. They are a business, afterall, and if we want to keep reading, they need to keep doing well. Again, no one is forcing anyone to buy the book and readers are given options. I don't like buying hardcovers, or the idea of a nine book hardcover series, but if I want to read it when it comes out, I'll have the money ready and not complain about; it was my choice.

Quote:
I just think criticisms should be voiced because if the authors and stuff truly research using these threads (hence the reason for no author bashing) then constructive criticism in the threads may be desirable.

I totally agree-- however, what is constructive about saying $20 for a 236 page book is too much? They know that it's a lot of money for some and that's why readers are given options.

Quote:
I disagree with its length because as Star Wars fans we've come to expect full length and this did indeed leave you wanting more

The point of any good book in a series This isn't a Darth Bane novel-- we know there's more after it. I, myself, like longer novels. I don't get upset, however, if it's a shorter novel and has a good story.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, I understand they're a business. Its less of something that I'm demanding a change to as it is something that's extremely annoying that I can do nothing about. The sad thing is that 9 hardcovers is uneccessary but I'll still have the money ready and buy them when they come out...sadly. But yes, the length on Invincible was too short but It delivered, hence the reason you didn't have me complaining about it. This one just felt like filler, not a part of a greater work. While I wasn't crazy about LotF I'll give it this, it felt like a greater work the whole way through. Outcast was a great intro, but this left me wanting more because while well written it felt rushed. Really rushed. It had good moments, but they've stuck things in there that required a little more page time too fully understand. I also don't blame Golden for that as I'm 90% sure it was a publisher's and editor's decision to keep it that short, but Star Wars books used to be lengthy. That doesn't mean short ones can't be good, I mean look at TRAITOR. Stover made that a work of art and it wasn't all that long. I'm just stating that really short yet expensive books makes me worried that they're headed in the direction of less quality AND less quantity. Its a statement that the story the fans stay with is less important than the cash it brings in, and when the story suffers the readers will lose interest. Sorry for the rant, I tend to lean towards the artistic side of things rather than see them from the financially beneficial standpoint. I know, I've ranted on this enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd just like to state that I like Christie Golden's work with OMEN and hope to see her come out with another one next time. She is a fantastic writer and does indeed progress storyline, it just feels like she was filling a quick gap here. No complaints towards the author in any way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, I agree with Caedus. There is absolutley no reason having nine hardcovers other than just to rake in more money. It's not like they're low on it, this is Star Wars we're talking about.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I'm glad to hear you're getting more details, and concerning the excerpt mentioned:

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:15 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
Yeah, I agree with Caedus. There is absolutley no reason having nine hardcovers other than just to rake in more money. It's not like they're low on it, this is Star Wars we're talking about.

How do you keep something profitable, though? They are a business, and making profits is what they are made to do. There's nothing wrong about that. I don't like buying the hardcovers, nor do I think we needed another nine book series, but it's me who keeps buying. I agree with both of you, I just can see where Del Rey, as a business, was coming from.

Also, for Aush:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote  

@Aush: details on the Sith

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

*whistles tunelessly* Ah, well...no book yet! But at least my Sega adapter is coming in today, so I can amuse myself by mindlessly playing Sonic and Doom for hours on end while I wait for that darn Omen. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Forgotten (sorry everyone Sad )

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote  

Doom was awesome! Uh, guess I should take that to the console thread Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, that was the best game! I remember playing it when I was like 6 or 7...loved it! But guess I'll follow you to the console thread. *wanders over to the Mos Eisley Cantina* Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 4 of 8