Gripe of the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 213, 214, 215  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Really wish the Amazon US page would stop having Region 2 blu rays and DVDs for the DAC line jumbled under the options with the Region 1 discs. I'm trying to fill the holes in my DAC collection, but searching for Blus or DVDs is starting to irritate me because some listing I click on say they're fro Region 2 only.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My best friend is acting very distant and I don't know why.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

That sucks, Reep, I know that feel.

Those without swords can still die upon them

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
My best friend is acting very distant and I don't know why.

I'd say to give her some distance, but I once lost a friend because I didn't call her for two weeks and she assumed that meant I never wanted to talk to her again Confused .
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Instead of giving slavery chocolate and some pink heart BS to your gf/bf, how about giving some care and affection for a sick or elderly home bound person, or someone in prison, or a homeless person, or a child in need, or just a friend that is lonely? If you have love to give, why don't you give it to someone that really needs it?

Valentine's Day is supposed to be a celebration of love, but it seems to me like most people have no idea what love is. I hate holidays, almost every one. They really show the worst in our culture, just selfishness and blind consumerism.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Yeah, holidays aren't my favourite thing anymore.

I still enjoy the religious aspects of Christmas and Easter, but the rest is pretty much just a big racket. Christmas especially is a bit of a chore to get through. I don't expect everyone to celebrate Christ's birth, but at the same time the whole "Christmas is about family" thing is lost on me. I love individuals in my family, but a whole room full of them is enough to make me tear my hair out. The shopping madness also gets to me (I mean people have been killed on Black Friday... that's nuts!). So much so that I got all my shopping done in November this year and that will likely become a personal tradition.

I still like Easter though. It's much less commercialized (minus a few chocolate bunnies and eggs) and I can enjoy what it represents without getting turned off well before the day arrives. There isn't this sense of obligation and there is a general sense of either you care about Easter or you don't and I like that. It's also the beginning of spring, the end of Lent, and usually just a good time.

Halloween, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day etc. just kind of happen.

btw I love your ideas for Valentine's Day! That's really cool. Smile

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've probably griped about not knowing what to do with my life at some point, but it's on my mind again. My dilemma is whether to chase after some passion job (e.g. animation) and have that job become my life (from what I hear animators work ridiculous hours, granted there are peaks and valleys) or to have a job that pays the bills so I can do what I love outside of work. The latter is what I'm doing at the moment. I'm working at a tobacco testing lab full-time right now and will probably go to university for Biochemistry soon. I feel kind of empty right now though. I'm conflicted because on one hand I think I want to be passionate and driven, but at the same time I don't want that passion to dominate my life. I never found that one thing that I wanted to pursue whole-heartedly and my interests are all over the place. I don't want to sacrifice my hobbies for a career.

It really depends on the day. Some days my current arrangement works out well. I've always wanted to write a book, but I haven't been able to for a long time until I started working. The work is relatively routine, so there's a lot of time to think and daydream. As a result, the ideas are coming fast and hard. So you could see my job as a way to fund my "real" career i.e. being a writer. But then on other days I get depressed at the routine of it all. Every day is the same and, apart from my writing, I'm not heading in any direction or moving towards any goal. Just knowing that half of my life is now spent doing something I have no real interest in is depressing. I mean I loved learning about biology and chemistry in school, but the actual lab work is pretty ho hum.

So I'm hesitant to apply to Biochem, even though it would lead to me getting a better job in that field. Mostly I just want the decision part to be over, so that whatever path I choose, I can just get on living it. I know that's probably a bad attitude to have because it might lead to dumb decisions, but there you have it.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote  

Well I can't speak for you, but I can speak for myself which my be helpful. I myself opted not to get a job that is a passion. People often talk about doing something you love, but I always had the mentality that a job is something you do to make money to support yourself. Whatever job you get, try to have fun at it. Whether it's a fun environment, working with people that are fun, whatever. As long as you can find some fun in your job, you're okay, even if the work itself is menial or tough. That's have I've gone at it.

When I'm not at work, that's when I chase my passions. I find my escape, I have my fun, and it keeps my life in balance.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So it's been a day...

This morning I ran my knee into a door frame. Not a huge deal, just annoyed me right off the bat.

After this I remembered I had to pick up a baby shower gift, but I also just did a bunch of stuff for my car that was expensive so I'm low on cash. I picked up a couple of the cheapest things on the registry and she'll understand, I just hate feeling how low on cash I am.

So I get to work and my boss has to be late because of something with her daycare lady. So it's just me and one other girl because our new guy is having knee surgery. Our new guy is worthless anyway, he doesn't do much and he like falls asleep at work and plays on his phone and eats all day, but HR won't let us fire him for some reason. Anywho, he's off so even though we're stressfully busy things get done.

So then I have to spend my lunch break doing homework. I only get 30 minutes so I have to power through a bunch. It was exhausting. Then the afternoon is a mess because our part-time guy got sick at work (he's in phenomenal shape, never gets sick). He sucked it up for most of the day because of other situations I'll elaborate on but...it was rough for him. I felt for the guy.

So then we discover a brand spankin' new company vehicle has a leak in the antifreeze unit. So I have to take it back to the dealership and negotiate salesmen and warranty guarantees. That took forever. So then I get back and I have to help close up so this kid can go home. I'm in trouble for overtime already and I keep piling it on. Blech.

So then I get to my car at last and there's a tiny egg on my wiper blade. It's open and a dead baby bird is sprawled on the glass, albumen smeared everywhere on the passenger side. So I spend time cleaning it. I'm also kind of not comfortable around dead things and it freaks me out.

So then I go to the gym and this one girl comes over and asks me to stop dropping weights or their going to get the manager involved. No realize...I'm on a machine. There's no weights to drop. She realizes this and backpedals, trying to ask me who was dropping weights. At this point I'd had it (she'd been rude before) and just asked her to go away, maybe stand by the weights and hover if she really wanted to know. She's vindictive (and known for it). That gym is super affordable and I don't want to leave it but I also don't want to get a manager involved and make a mess, I just wish she'd stop bothering me (it's not the first time she's been awful).

So I get home and I have to clean up after the roommates. They're pigs today of all days for some reason. Then I have to prep food for a work thing tomorrow. Oh, and I'm out of bags to fit this baby shower gift so...ugh.

It's 10:15 and I'm watching Empire Strikes Back because it's May the Fourth and I'm watching a Star Wars movie, I don't care how late I'll be up (or how early I'm getting up tomorrow). I'm having tea too. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote  

Reepicheep wrote:

Halloween, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day etc. just kind of happen.

btw I love your ideas for Valentine's Day! That's really cool. Smile

In fairness Halloween is cool since you can dress up as Indy, Han, or whoever you like as an adult and not be considered completely 100% certifiable, just borderline Razz

I personally like St. Patrick's because it gives me a justification to make lots of Irish Soda Bread

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dang, Caedus. That's not a happy May the 4th. Sad

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If there's anyone here who drinks Cheerwine (or any kind of soft drink), why is it a problem if the bottle is squished in in a place or two and stays that way?

Sound like an odd question, I know, but I'm asking because a co-worker gave me a six pack of 16 oz Cheerwines in plastic bottles before I left work last week. (It was my last day on a temp job and they know how much I like Cheerwine, so they gave me the pack). That was Friday. Fast forward to tonight and Dad told me not to drink either of the two bottles that were left because the plastic was squished in one or two spots and wouldn't pop back out.

Thing is, I've already drunk 3 of the other bottles and the plastic was squished in a few spots on those bottles as well. (Though it was a 6-pack, one had already been opened - though not by me - before I left Friday, so I only took five home.)

I did notice the taste seemed a little off but ignored it. Was that a mistake? Could drinking that Cheerwine make me sick? I won't drink the two bottles that are left, or the little bit I have in the current bottle right now, but I can't help being a little worried.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Why don't you ask your dad? He knows since he told you.

The reason is because the plastic bottles are pressurized and vacuum sealed in the factory. If they bottle is dented it means that it is depressurized and the seal has been broken and it can potentially by contaminated by some bacteria or other thing that can make you sick. Most likely it's just going to cause the beverage to lose it's carbonation and not taste very good, or go rancid. You probably won't get sick unless you noticed that it tasted bad or has become fermented and drank a lot of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The Bethesda E3 2017 conference was the most disappointing I think I have ever seen. They presented a 30 minute pre-made video with mostly old content. I love Skyrim, don't get me wrong. But they have got to stop riding that gravy train at some point. It's been 6 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I know exactly what you mean. I was also really let down to hear nothing from Fromsoft.

But I'm really excited about the new Monster Hunter!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 214 of 215