Gripe of the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 213, 214, 215

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was walking past the produce back room at Walmart, there's a sink and they chop up vegetables, NBD. Then some object fell next to me...I don't even know what it was, it was like something made out of pieces of wood, why was that there?

The sound of it hitting the ground was so loud, I believe that is what it would sound like to have a bomb go off next to you. My whole body tensed up and I went blind. I had the sensation of a bright white light and pain shooting through my entire head. That was the worst thing I've ever felt. I think that is what dying feels like. I didn't jump or have an accelerated heart beat, I was just like my soul has left my body now.

On a lighter note, I got a septum piercing and you can't tell if there is a booger hanging out of your nose because it always feels like that. It's the worst.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

For a book review someone actually wrote "This just sounds like Post Structuralism regurgitated by some Neo Marxist grad school journal."

First of all those two pretentious phrases might as well mean the same thing, at least in this context. And no normal people know or care what that means, they have better things to do then go to college for political science and philosophy.

My gripe is about the concept as criticism EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS THIS! thing. I get the cynical ironic detachment from endless repetition, but I just find it utterly wearisome. Why is that stimulating to essentially make fun of someone for knowing something that you know?
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

EXTREMELY ****ed off today when I went to Barnes and Noble. Mom took me on a shopping jaunt today since I still had some gift card money left and we've had a rough weekend dealing with the loss of one of our dogs. I was hoping to pick up Steven Erikson's Toll the Hounds along with Star Wars: Bloodline and Star Wars: Leia, Princess of Alderaan. I was not in the least happy to discover that the two copies of TTH that were on the Sci-Fi/Fantasy shelf looked like they had either been read and returned to the shelf or tossed around in a box without a care. I saw the same thing a few months ago when I wanted to buy TTH, Midnight Tides, and the BoneHunters - all the shelf copies looked so beat up - a TTH copy even had a huge TEAR in the front cover. I was so disgusted that I just bought other books instead. The copies of Bloodline and L,POA that I bought today had a little bit of wear, but I bought them anyway. Oddly, the copy of Clive Cussler's Havan Storm that I bought instead of TTH had no visible damage. Confused If B&N keeps letting books in beat up condition stay on the shelf, I may go entirely to Amazon for future book purchases.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sorry to hear about your dog, Alan. I'm a dog lover. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm super depressed about what seems to me to be the inevitability that Net Neutrality is going to be repealed.

To everyone who says that the internet was just fine before NN, so there is no reason why it won't be afterwards... NN was the culmination into binding law all the existing internet protections that had built up to that time, 2015. There is no reason to get rid of it if there is no intention of removing those protections. It was precisely because of the proposed intent to abuse those that it was formally passed in the first place.

At the very least without it you are going to get speed throttling. More likely we are also all going to get data caps. A real possibility is that we will get a pay as you go internet service package, but no matter what it is almost guaranteed that most people will end up paying more money for their internet services in some way. The worst case scenario is that actual content control and censorship will be put into place, which might be unlikely, but nonetheless would be perfectly possible.

The worst part is the precedent that it sets. This has been refuted and upheld several times already. If a company or lobbying group doesn't like an existing law, or wants to pass one that is voted down, they will just keep trying to get their way over and over again until they get enough cronies in power to achieve it. This happens all the time with local laws, but this is something that millions of people are against, and we have absolutely no say or no control in it. Is that how democracy is supposed to work?

And no matter how bad it gets, there is nothing you can do about. Like people are going to be able to boycott the internet? Were just going to have to accept whatever it is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So as I'm sure you're all aware, there has been a slew of sexual misconduct allegations levied at various people in the media. Up till now, I've had a very simple view of this. Obviously, I'm against any form of sexual abuse, unwanted sexual contact etc., people who engage in this behaviour should be held responsible, and I've viewed the fact that all of this is coming to light as a good thing.

I still feel that way, but up till now the allegations were always against people I didn't really care about. Then the bomb hit about John Lasseter.

For those who don't know, John Lasseter is one of the big creative forces at Pixar, he directed Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2 (one of my favourite movies of all time and a movie that is very personal to me), and Cars, and until very recently has been the chief executive officer at both Pixar and Disney Animation Studios.

This news really broke my heart. Now when I look into the eyes of one of my childhood heroes, I can only see a creep. I feel like something sinister has crept into a bastion of innocence. I would have never seen this coming. Crying or Very sad

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That sucks, Reep.

The one who really made me mad was Louis CK. It made me mad because I had heard the rumor about him being a creep and I looked into it and no one had said anything about him, so I felt OK in supporting him. Comedian Marc Maron said that he asked him about it and Louis lied to him and said it wasn't him.

That's what makes me mad, and makes it feel more like a betrayal than if it was just someone out of the blue and you never saw it coming.

I've had to deal with this a lot in real life with people in my community, and it really is awful for everyone involved. It's caused real personal harm for me, who wasn't even directly involved with the situations, that's how bad it sucks. Not that I'm saying I'm the real victim, I'm saying how harmful it is on so many levels.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The big one for me was Jesse Lacey of the band Brand New. I really loved that group and it's horrible to hear what he's put people through and how he's tried to pull the "sex addict" card. It's soured the music, it's ended the band, and I'm just betrayed by the whole thing.

I feel you DPW, the Louise C.K. one hit me pretty hard as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Utilities, Inc. (our water company) is more than doubling our monthly payments because they just completed $3,000,000 in improvements and are "operating at a significant loss". Well don't blame us for the mess you had to clean up!

More than double. That's insane. It went from $49/month to $102/month. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Utilities, Inc. (our water company) is more than doubling our monthly payments because they just completed $3,000,000 in improvements and are "operating at a significant loss". Well don't blame us for the mess you had to clean up!

More than double. That's insane. It went from $49/month to $102/month. Evil or Very Mad

Ouch! That's messed up! I wonder if that is even legal?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@S2B: It's perfectly legal, it's just immoral. Companies can charge whatever they want and tell you to go to the competition if you'd prefer a different price. The fact that they're often the only game in town when they pull this doesn't matter to them.

My gripe today: I'm exhausted, I'm running on about 3-4 hours of sleep a night, and I have to take next semester off because our college president bullied everyone he had to in order to get a YMCA built on-campus and to make the students pay for it via a "wellness fee" so all of our bills went way up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That happened to me a few years back with the gas company, same deal, there is only one company and they accidentally charged me twice and then refused to take it off. I think they even said something like, "that's what your bill says, so that's what you have to pay."

I went to my bank and asked them to reverse the charge, which they did when they saw that I was right, and then the gas company just didn't do anything about it and it was fine after that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Good for you, DPW! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I am so tired of people cancelling plans! Legitimate reasons are one thing, but excuses of "not feeling like it" or "deciding not to" are just getting to be so old. It's very rude and I'll be honest, hurts especially when it's over and over again from friends and family. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 215 of 215