Gripe of the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 195, 196, 197  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have a hard time seeing behind me too. That's why I drive on the left side of the road, so I can see all the cars in front of me. For some reason the police don't like that either.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Perhaps this little article from Cracked would be of interest, and may be applicable to this conversation.

I was going to say a joke about being a Cracked w****, but it sounded very bad ...
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So I met this girl today. She noticed my Stormtrooper keychain and commented, "A Stormtrooper! That's awesome, I love it." Eyebrow raised, she rose a few notches on my initial impression scale.

Then she added, "I have Jar-Jar." Her rank on the initial impression scale plummeted drastically. I was almost sad. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote  

My gripe of the day: people who don't like Jar Jar.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, Skuldren, harsh. I didn't think he was your favorite character or anything...Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote  

I have a special place for him in my heart Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quit it you two!

@Mara: So she has a Jar-Jar. Better than Delta or Picard I say. Evil or Very Mad

@Skulz: You didn't ask for her number Razz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote  

Cerrinea wrote:

It must be a regional thing because I've never heard it called "pulling over on someone". "Cutting off" is how I've always heard it referred to. And in a lot of places it leads to a lot more than yelling.

Same here, we call it "cutting off" too. We don't use the phrase "pulling over on someone" at all and that would likely be interpreted as a less blunt way of saying "I got in a car accident".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I've asked a few people here, and they all say yes, they know the phrase and they understand what it means. I'm sure there are things y'all say that we've never heard, either.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, I nary yetner nabble on of it, but it's mortal fan! And they's no balsam in it. As certain sure they has perplexed it out.

That is to say, while I haven't participated in this discussion, I'm sure there was no harm meant in their questioning, but rather that they found the vagaries, as they have done so previously, of the English language to be quite interesting. And for my part, I was adding to the discussion by speaking in/showing off my local Sussex dialect. Because I can never be too pretentious.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Last night about 30 minutes before getting off work I started getting dizzy. Shortly thereafter it felt like there were some monkeys walking on stilts made of knives in my head. Then I got excessively nauseated. Then my lips started going numb and I got freaked out. I've been drunk but never driven that way. Last night I think I learned what it felt like, I'm shocked I didn't get pulled over.When I got home I collapsed to the floor right inside the door. It took both of my parents and my brother to get me to my room. After a night of sickness and a horrific temporary loss of ability to focus my eyesight I'm finally starting to feel better, but it feels like I'm still just a bit away from feeling like I'm going to die again. I'm fairly sure its a combination of dehydration and food poisoning that I got from a burrito the nice guy who comes and sells that at work gave me on the house.

It was terrifying, I have never been that out of control of myself or my surroundings in my life. I think that scared me more than anything else. I'm not a control freak with people in my life or anything, but with myself I'm always in control. I don't partake of any drugs (not even pill-form medicine if I can help it), I don't really drink anymore outside the occasional beer with friends, and I'm generally careful about pretty much everything I do. It was just freaky to completely lose control like that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Day number four of my sea vacation and the internet is still not hooked up over here. I literally had to reply to this post through my phone! Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mum's descending ever deeper into the world of Doomsday Preppers ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote  

I liked the guy who named his rabbits after food: pepper, cajun, breakfast, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's COLD out!

The afternoon high where I am today is -7C, but with the windchill will feel like -12.

(for the non-metrics among us, -12C is about 10F.)

It is too early to be this cold. My winter coat isn't out yet. I had to wear a thick fleece hoodie underneath my fall coat. And that didn't help my legs; the wind cut through my khakis like they weren't there at all, like I was being stabbed with tiny ice-knives. Not fun. And my commute to work involves a 20-minute walk.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 180 of 197