Could this be the knife that kills Star Wars?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Could this be the knife that kills Star Wars?
 PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Something I was looking forward to in Fate of the Jedi, was to see a series with no Sith. Not that I dislike stories about Sith, quite the opposite, but I wanted to see how things are without them. According to synopsis's (is the gramar right?) the Sith are, once again, going to have a big role in the series. I'm kind of worried that this means Star Wars can't survive without Sith. From now until Legacy, the Sith should be in hiding, but, although not the One Sith, they are not. Could this be fatal if Star Wars can't get decent stories without Sith? Yes, it has been done before by Bantam, but they weren't near as good as Del Rey. Yeah Del Rey has also done it, but how often can you have invaders from another galaxy? What do you all think?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Star Wars is in danger of becoming a one-trick-pony with the Sith thing. While I like it, the Sith have to go dormant soon before the Legacy comics. And I wouldn't mind them using novels to explore the really ancient Sith, but they have to disappear sometime.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I can guarantee that this will not kill Star Wars, lol. But still, I do agree that Sith being in everything gets a bit lame sometimes. At least for me anyways.

Re: Could this be the knife that kills Star Wars?
 PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Reepicheep wrote:
Yes, it has been done before by Bantam, but they weren't near as good as Del Rey.

The Han Solo Trilogy says this isn't the case, as does the Thrawn trilogy. As does a lot of Bantam actually. That aside, it is dangerous that the Sith are used in everything now, because while I love the Sith, there's a gigantic universe to explore and the Sith don't need to be involved in every part of the galaxy.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I agree. What made Palpatine so awesome was that he was like the only one of his kind. Super smart and totally manipulative.

However, when there is a huge group of Sith, it just makes them seem like some arrogant cult. I dont know, while many wont agree with me, I hate the way Sith are portrayed in Legacy comics for example. They are like the most stereotypical Sith I can possible think of. (I adore the legacy comic though, so dont worry)

We need more Palpatines and Revans and those type of Siths.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote  

There is only one way these Sith can pull off not being lame and redundant, and that's if they are the red skinned, bearded tentacled Sith species. We have yet to see these guys in a novel and it would be really awesome to have them still around.

That said, once FOTJ is done NO MORE SITH. Really, they're pushing it. Come up with something original like the Yuuzhan Vong.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Yep, totally agree, for a culture that originated as a far-flung species in a distant corner of the galaxy and was only stumbled upon by accident, then gradually transformed into a secretive sect with a Rule of Two, the Sith suddenly seem to be everywhere, and in such huge numbers. Not only does it get repetitive, but it takes something away from the whole point of the Sith. Where's the secrecy, the manipulating and plotting from the shadows? For me, the Sith work best when hidden, like wraiths.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote  

I agree that the "Sith attempt to take over the galaxy" ploy might be getting overused (even games have a tendency to do this). I think what would be good is if they really jumped on the whole thing started by the X-Wing series and used in the Republic Commando novels of stories revolving around groups of people who, while important, usually form only cameo roles. Heck they wouldn't have to even invent any new invaders they could take an approach of looking at say, the war with the Vong exclusively from the perspective of members of Page's Commandos or Wraith Squadron. I mean it is a big galaxy so all the battles couldn't possibly have been covered (much less all the covert-ops). Or they could do the same thing in the KOTOR time frame.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Great points, guys! Like you said, Skuldren, I don't mind seeing Sith in FotJ (though I would have preferred some spacing between Caedus and the Robinson-Crusoe-Sith), but after this, no more! Well maybe a couple here and there, you know. Razz

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

This is a fantastic point! Very Happy I won't get too much yet, but I agree.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Why thank you, SoS! Very Happy
You won't get too much what?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Into why I believe that you're correct-- not yet, anyway. Wink

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Too many Sith, too many Skywalkers, too much Empire and Imperials Too much dark gritty despair. So the Sith are not the only thing we are getting in huge quantities, but yes, their numbers start to be overwhelming.

And it's not like they are doing these Sith in any kind of logical way either. We have new Sith introduced or made from previously existing characters and then these are killed off, just so that we can get new Sith in the next series...

Without LotF the FotJ Sith would probably be better received. I would, at least, see them in a better light. And considering how little LotF gave us to in exchange of killing off important characters, I'm looking at these FotJ Sith and have only one thing in my mind: Why?

Either there should have been no Sith -centric LotF story at all, or they should have not killed Jacen off and redeemed Tahiri if they wanted to do after LotF a new series with Sith in important roles in it. But now they went with the worst possible choice in my opinion.

The Sith start to be as common as TIE fighters.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

With Bantam, they didn't use Sith but fallen Jedi mainly. Yes, there isn't too much difference between fallen Jedi and Sith, but Sith are (were?) perceived as being far darker and smarter making them even bigger threats for the Jedi and the galaxy. Thrawn is a great example of an enemy who is not a Jedi yet gives the galaxy a lot of trouble. The galaxy is a big place, and I'm sure there's other individual beings out there who would love to take over the galaxy or just a small corner of it; they wouldn't need to be Force sensitive or anything, but an author would have to think of ways to make them big trouble for Jedi. This reminds me of Superman vs Batman stories; Batman doesn't stand a chance against Superman in a fist fight, much like Thrawn wouldn't stand a chance in a fist fight with a Jedi, but that doesn't stop Batman from putting together many traps and distractions that keep Superman busy and easier to take out from behind, which Thrawn did with the galaxy in getting everyone to look over here while he accomplished what he really wanted to over there. We'll see how this next story goes, although I don't know I'll be along for the ride at the beginning Sad

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Rouge77 wrote:
Too many Sith, too many Skywalkers, too much Empire and Imperials Too much dark gritty despair. So the Sith are not the only thing we are getting in huge quantities, but yes, their numbers start to be overwhelming.

I don't agree with too many Skywalkers. Without them Star Wars is kinda... Confused (just my opinion). Too many Imps? That's a little more complex. On one hand, in Bantam it got tiring, but Del Rey's work with the Imperial Remnant and Dark Horse's Fel Empire, thus far, has been interesting. Imps make great cannon fodder as well. Razz

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2