Film Photography
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Creative Works View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks! Will do. Smile

Now as promised, here's the box I took the stadium picture with:

As you can see, the edges are taped shut against light leaks, and that patch in the middle is the tape holding and covering the shutter. Whenever I'd want to take a picture, I would grab a little flap of tape and lift up the piece covering the shutter. Like so:

Once the picture was finished, I'd cover it again. The photo paper slides into the front there and is taped down with masking tape. I would then close both front flaps and tape them shut with more electrical tape. And that's pretty much all there is to it. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Hey, nice work, Mara. The pictures came out great; who knew a simple box could work so well? Though I can't see too many holidaymakers carrying a box around with them as they go sightseeing... Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I know this isn't technically film photography, as it was taken with my digital, but it was in prep for a film shot. I was setting up the shot and taking practice pictures in prep for using my film camera. We're supposed to be doing portraits. And anyway, I ended up with this as one of my pictures, and I just love it! This would be my youngest sister, Alex, helping me out with my project. I know I have a no people rule, but faces obscured by paintball helmets don't count. Smile

I tried the pic out in black and white, as I usually like black and white better, but I'm not sure that's the case here. I'm having trouble choosing between the two. Hmm...*ponders*...

Unfortunately I won't be able to duplicate the shot with my film camera, and so the film pic will probably always annoy me by being slightly different. But at least I have the digital for myself, if nothing else. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Very cool idea! Kind of creepy looking down the end of a barrel!

Is this the sister that makes those creepy Anakin/Padme videos? *Shudders*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you! It is pretty neat how you can see straight down the barrel, but also the person holding the 'weapon'. Smile

And yes, that would be her. Now you know what she looks like when she's watching those particular scenes. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Great shot! I love how the front of the barrel is blurred, but the deeper it gets the clearer it becomes. Great perspective! And the eyes and tilt of the head make it work too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nice one! It looks pretty intimidating. The picture is really sharp, what camera do you use? Whatever it is, it sure beats my trusty Froot Loops camera...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks! I have a Canon Powershot A630. I'm not a digital camera expert, so I can't really rattle off all the specs, but it's a good little camera. 8 megapixels and has a flip screen, which was the deciding factor. I looked at a million cameras, and this one actually seemed a bit big (though I can fit it in my pocket if I absolutely have to), but the flip screen completely sold it for me. There are only two complaints:

1. The video mode records this crazy high-pitched squeal that pretty much ruins any video you take. You certainly don't want to use this camera if you're recording an important video...only home stuff. I've read the reviews on this feature (after the fact, though), and it seems that they all do. Sooo...that's disappointing. But taking video isn't what it was made for, I guess, I do have to give them that.

2. It takes grainy indoor pictures. I don't know why that is, but it does. They never come out sharp. Outside, the pictures are gorgeous. I couldn't ask for better. But the indoor pictures just come out disappointing. I have no idea what feature on the camera that's attributed to, but when I buy a new one one day, I'm going to find out and make sure I avoid that mistake next time.

So anyway, that's probably more of an answer than you were looking for, but there you go. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote  

Such clarity, I can even tell the gun is not loaded. Now we need a shot of 'after' the match. One with a paint drenched survivor. Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

A couple of pictures I took last week:

Football Field:

Ferris Wheel:

This popped up overnight on my ride to school, and I thought it would make a very nice picture. If you look, you can even notice the cars aren't yet attached, which I didn't realize until after I took the picture. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Neat angle on the ferris wheel. My sister takes pictures of rides all the time.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Another digital picture. I almost stepped on him! But then decided he was perfect for a photo op. Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote  

That's a wild looking caterpillar. Nice picture.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I just got my pictures back from finals, so I can finally upload them. Nothing necessarily spectacular about these, but they were my favorites without people in them:

Zaq:

This was a picture I was so happy to capture. I knew Zaq's routine concerning flying away from his cage, so I set up the moment and waited with camera ready. Soon as he took off I clicked the shutter. Unfortunately, there was no way to tell what I'd gotten until after I developed the film. And I couldn't be happier! I wanted to accent his ascent from the cage, so I practiced with a process called 'burning' to get those blacked out (or faded out) edges. I call it "Freedom".

Goal:

Just messing with a wide-angle lens. It's amazing how well those things work! You get so much more in your picture that way.

Southeastern:

Again messing with the wide-angle. I really like how this one came out, though. Except for that fogged edge. I can't figure out what's up with that. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I love the 'Freedom' picture! That's so cool Mara!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Creative Works

Page 2 of 3