Other Sci-fi Franchises

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Other Sci-fi Franchises
 PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So I am going to take a wild guess and say that many of you enjoy other Sci-fi shows, comics, books, etc. It would be cool if people could list other things they like and maybe why they like them.

Other than Star Wars I like-

Battlestar Galactica - cool storyline, more political plot lines then action, but its still really well written. Plus, when there is action it looks really great. For tv, those are about the best special effects I have seen.

SG-1 (and Stargate Atlantis) - I dont know why I like this show exactly. Its kind of relaxing to watch, and plot lines usually last one or two episodes. Kind of like the Clone Wars actually. Again, I cant really explain why I like it...... maybe because it reminds me of babylon 5?

Firefly - I shouldnt even need to explain why this show is awesome. It feels a lot like Star Wars actually, with the firefly ship kind of resembling a Falcon of sorts. I really like the Western feel to the show, and the cast is awesome. One of my favorite shows of all time, hate the fact it was canceled so early.

Babylon 5 - While the effects are terrible by todays standards, this was a show used to watch a lot. Very slow plot to start, but it gets pretty good later on.

For some reason, I never really liked Star Trek. I tried to like it, I really did. Of course, I am going to see the new movie, and maybe that will get me into it. We will see.

Re: Other Sci-fi Franchises
 PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote  

Autobon wrote:

Firefly - I shouldnt even need to explain why this show is awesome. It feels a lot like Star Wars actually, with the firefly ship kind of resembling a Falcon of sorts. I really like the Western feel to the show, and the cast is awesome. One of my favorite shows of all time, hate the fact it was canceled so early.

I too am a Firefly fan. I recently read the two comic books that were made (is there a third one?). It is a real shame it was canceled, it would probably have accumulated the huge fan base of Star Wars or Star Trek if it had just been given more time.

I've recently been watching the original Star Trek series and I've actually enjoyed it. Mainly it is because I love the movie Galaxy Quest so it is really funny to see the similarities.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm really a Firefly fan. Other than that, I'd not say I was a huge sci-fi fan. I like the genre, but its stuff like the movie Sunshine or the original Star Trek series, and even with that series its mostly for William Shatner. Its the ghetto campiness of it that appeals to me. However, I am a huge fan of the first 2 Alien movies Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm going to agree that I enjoy SG-1. I used to watch it all the time, though I haven't seen it in quite awhile since I've been without satellite for over a year. However, it was one show I really tried to catch as often as possible. Like you, Autobon, I can't say why I liked it. I just did.

As for Star Trek...just could never get into it. I do enjoy some of the originals, and I do like Picard. But as a whole, the show could never capture my attention. The only thing the franchise produced that I ever really enjoyed was Star Trek IV: The Journey Home. Now that was a great movie that I really liked. Smile

I don't really like Sci-Fi other than Star Wars, and I don't really know why. The only other Sci-Fi book I can remember enjoying (and I've read a bunch) was Starwolf. It was a trilogy by Edmond Hamilton, and I do believe I read it even before I was into Star Wars. This was many moons ago, but I remember loving it. It was a paperback book sitting on the shelf at our library, and I remember I liked the cover:

If I remember correctly, it focused on a guy named Chane who ran around with a group of...well I don't know. Smugglers is what I would say, but I can't really remember now. And I certainly can't relate any of the plot. I've been trying to get my hands on a copy ever since, but was stumped for years because I couldn't remember the author and the library had gotten rid of it. The author's name hit me some time recently, and now I'm trying to buy a copy, since they're pretty cheap.

But anyway, enough rambling. I'd recommend it as a great read, except that I was really young when I read it. So no promises. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm a lot like MJS. Other than SW I'm not that big of a science fiction fan. As a little girl, I remember watching TNG with my mother, she was a total Trekkie, but I never really liked it all that much. I've been told I would enjoy Firefly, so I need to Netflix it one of these days. As far as books go, I remember reading some random scifi stuff as a kid and young teen, but for the life of me I don't remember anything that stands out as awesome. Oh wait, I lied. I do enjoy some Heinlein every now and then.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm a big SG-1 fan I love that show.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote  

I'm a Firefly fan, awesome show, awesome movie (Serenity).

Plus I like reading the Honor Harrington novels which is a sci-fi series written by David Weber.

When it comes to Star Trek, I'm old school and pretty much the only Star Trek I'll watch are the ones with Kirk. I think the new film will be great.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

MandyB wrote:
I've been told I would enjoy Firefly, so I need to Netflix it one of these days

It really is one of the best shows ever. Also, no need to netflix, you can find all the episodes in really high quality right here - http://www.hulu.com/firefly

Of course, after your done with the show you need to netflix the movie 'Serenity,' which kind of serves as the second/closing season.

Mara Jade and Anakinlover, since your fans of SG-1 do any of you like Stargate Atlantis? (the spin-off series)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1