Mara Jade's Artwork
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Creative Works View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Haha. But, Mara, long hair is Epic. Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote  

That's pretty cool. And I'll second the whole "why long hair?" argument. Most combatants prefer short hair simply for combat reasons, and Revan did stylize himself as a warrior. Plus long hair would have got in the way with his mask. Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Okay, so I suppose this is a sort of artwork. This past semester at school, I had a CMPS class where we were put in groups and expected to make a semester project. I decided I might as well share it, since I'm so happy with it! Smile

Our team decided to make a computer game. It's actually a 3D Soccer game. We have a soccer player, Bob, who runs around on a soccer field with a soccer ball and tries to make points by scoring goals. It's a very simplistic game, mainly because we were just trying to get a foundation down. Also because it's so hard to do. But we have two "levels" in the game. One level is just Bob running around on the field with the soccer ball. His goal (no pun intended) is to score points by kicking the soccer ball in one of the two goals. When he does so, he scores a point and the ball respawns at the middle of the field so he can go at it again. The other level is the same, except with the added challenge of goalies. The only problem with our goalies is that they are unbeatable. They're rather primitive in that they don't have animations like Bob (in other words they just slide when they move, instead of actually walking), but they are very good at what they do. I've never been able to get a ball past them. Smile

Here is the link to our blog:

Team Double 0 Blog

We were Team Double 0 because of my last name. You can go in and read about our progress and even see one screencap from the game. I also have a screen captured video below:

Kyx - 3D Soccer Game

It was extremely hard, and I do mean extremely hard. We worked on it all semester, and unfortunately my teammates weren't all that motivated. So, honestly, I did most of it myself. By the time Spring Break rolled around, though, I threatened one of my team members with bodily harm (not really Wink), and he got cracking. The other...never really helped. But by the time our final presentation came along, we had all screamed and yelled at each other, apologized, and made up. So it worked out in the end. And I really did like my teammates as friends, cause they're really nice guys. They just needed more...motivation. Smile

We used TorqueX 3D as our game engine, and we also used Microsoft XNA Game Studio. Blender was used to convert the models to the correct format, and GIMP was used for the splash screens. The player models (Bob) came with a TorqueX book that I bought, the soccer ball model was free from TurboSquid, and the field model was bought online. The one goalie model that looks like a person was made by some friends of ours and donated to our game. It's our teacher, in case you're wondering. Smile

So anyway, check it out! It's pretty neat. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Last edited by Mara Jade Skywalker on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hey, that's pretty cool. You're way ahead of me, because I wouldn't even know where to start. Nothing like a robot playing soccer on a soccerfield in the middle of oblivion. Smile

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ha, thanks! Trust me, we didn't know where to start, either. It was a very daunting project. But I felt so accomplished when it was over! Awesome feeling. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Okay, so this is an old project that I did last semester, but I was never really sure how to share it. However, since it is Star Wars related, I figured I had to find a way. Wink

In my Art class, we had to pick a theme of pictures (I chose Star Wars, naturally) and find all twelve of the primary, secondary, and tertiary colors in it. We then had to place them in order (starting with red) in an accordion book with a front and back cover. So...the project is so long (length-wise) that it's difficult to get a picture of it that actually shows any detail, so I've decided to break it down.

First are all of the pictures simply lined up on the computer:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

The colors, in order, are: Red, Red-Orange, Orange, Yellow-Orange, Yellow, Yellow-Green, Green, Blue-Green, Blue, Blue-Violet, Violet, Red-Violet.

Now here are all of the individual pictures:

And the picture I used for the front and back covers:

It was actually much more difficult than I originally anticipated. I was assuming that Star Wars was such a large franchise/galaxy, surely I would be able to find all the colors in no time. But think again!

What I finally had to learn was to focus on the color itself, instead of focusing on what was in the picture. So I started zooming in on pictures and looking for a color that pretty much dominated the frame. So I wasn't necessarily screaming, "This is yellow!" But you can get that idea on your own from the overall picture.

Oh, and apparently yellow doesn't exist in Star Wars...that was by far the hardest color to find. Confused

I thought it came out really good when all was said and done. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wow, very nice collaboration! I remember doing work on the color table last year in art class. And yes, searching for the right Star Wars images can be a pain in the butt sometimes. Confused

Oh, and I love how you and your sis re-did that Revan picture. I would hate keeping my hair long... Especially here in Florida... Mad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Pretty sweet! Smile

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Okay, y'all are going to have to call me really crazy after this. But my Art teacher gave us this crazy assignment called Robin, Egg, and Worm. It was meant very loosely (meaning you didn't actually have to use a Robin, Egg, or Worm), and after viewing some examples, this is what I came up with. Forgive me, I know it's insane. But I'm curious what you guys think, as far as Artistic expression goes. Rolling Eyes

Robin, Egg(s), and Worm(s)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Told you. Wink

But hey, you should have seen the examples we were given. Makes mine look absolutely ingenious! Very Happy

Edit: Better yet, here's one of the examples! Don't be frightened. Well...maybe you should be. Neutral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote  

I like yours better. That example was kinda creepy.

I do have to ask what movie track did you use for the video?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

S'ok, I wasn't expecting glorious praise! No worries if you find it...strange. Wink

Mine's, uh...kinda odd. But you know, I figured it would be allowed, since that guy's was so weird! Creepy, that's a good word. And that was the teacher's example. Neutral

Sometimes I really hate when Art teachers praise copouts as "Artistic Expression" and give them an 'A'. Believe me, if I was taking this assignment seriously (which I'm having trouble doing, considering the examples), mine would have been so much better. But...I really have no idea what to do with it beyond what I did, seeing as it's just an introductory assignment. Confused

And I was having fun with it. I love my bird, and I decided to see what he could do in the field of acting...

Ah, music track. It's from BrandX Music, and it's called Cosmic Storm. They produce royalty free tracks for movie trailers. Kinda cool. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote  

my sympathies, its never fun when profs of any kind praise copouts.

just noticed you snuck some Lego Star Wars in there, nice job!

Defeintely cool for the track though, I was confused cause it sounded like some sort of action movie (Gladiator or Pirates of the Caribbean came to mind or anything else by Hans Zimmer). Learned something new!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ha, thanks, Salaris. Yes, good eye! The original idea was that the "worms" were attacking the "robin", so I gave them all various Lego weapons. Lightsabers, blasters, pistols, spears. But it didn't show up very well on camera, so that idea may have been lost. Then the following plot point was that the "robin" was bombing the attacking worms with eggs. Confused

Trust me...it was a whacky idea. But...fun to make, if nothing else. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Creative Works

Page 4 of 5