Once Upon An Internet Connection

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Once Upon An Internet Connection
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life without the internet...did it really exist? Just a random observation, but I don't know, I just feel like we couldn't live if we didn't have internet. Sure, people did it back in the stone age, all those millions of years ago, but I doubt it could be done today. I spend at least an hour on the internet almost every day. And that's the bare, bare minimum.

I can't ever remember not having a computer. But I do vaguely (and I mean vaguely) remember not having the internet. My family's had computers since the very early 90s, and we've had internet since the early 90s as well. But the main thing I remember using computers for (and a lot, too) was to play Doom, Nibbles, and Gorillas. Oh, and to constantly listen to the Top Gun soundtrack. Gosh, I must have been only about 6, and I knew more about computers then than I did when I was 12. And that was DOS, too.

We moved when I was 9, and I don't know what happened, but somehow I seemed to forget what a computer was. It wasn't until I was about 12 that I had a flash of inspiration. I remembered that I had played the Top Gun soundtrack on our old computer, and I bet the new one could do it, too! And of course it worked. And sadly I was amazed.

Anyway, getting back to the internet topic, I'd never really used the internet myself, even though we'd had it for years. I first started getting on the internet on a regular basis around 13 or 14. And by a regular basis I mean like twice a week. Now being a Computer Science major, the thought of being without a computer or the internet frightens me. Neutral

Wow...I'm sitting in the computer lab at school right now, and I'm just amazed at the ridiculous amount of internet use. Our culture has turned itself into a Cyber Zombie. I honestly don't think we'd be able to survive very well without technology, namely an internet connection.

I wonder if it'll one day bring about our destruction, such as in Terminator...*ahem*...

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, I could survive without the Internet.
*squeals with delight that NarniaWeb has a new podcast up*
Seriously though, I don't do a whole lot on the computer except for EUC, NWeb and some of my favourite band websites. And I've always prefered to write by hand then type.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote  

I remember life before the internet, and computers (at least in my house). In fact I went a long time before getting my own computer. I got my first desktop in 2000, so the whole internet has only been a part of my life for about 9 years. The first computers I used were at school playing Oregon Trail and such. Ah the good old days...

...no, not so good, more like prehistoric. Shocked

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

oregon trail, lol. That game was the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ha, I know just what you mean! We used to play that at school every chance we got. If you were playing, you were the envy of everyone who wasn't. Smile

And you're right, DS. Prehistoric. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Life before the Internet.....
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

hummmmm, let me think about this one.

When I was boy ( yes I am old now and don't start anything Austin Smile ) we didn't have MP3 players. See we had these things called Record Albums, 45's (not guns folks) , 8-tracks and cassette tapes. All this "old media" was delicate to the point that if the record / 45 got scratched - it was worthless. 8-tracks and cassettes where another story. If they went bad you would see the rust colored magnet tape strung out on the roadways / highways.

When I was a boy - the library, magazines and newspapers had all the information anyone would need. I was taught how to find a book in the library using the card files and the Dewy Decimal System. Then searching high and low for the book on the shelf. I even had access to a wonderful thing called the Encyclopedia where everything you could think of was in this massive collection of hard bound books.

When I was a boy - I had to go to Woolworth, Montgomery Wards, The Broadway, Waldonbooks, Licorice Pizza, Safeway, Buster Brown and Kenny Shoes to find my clothes, books, toys, shoes, music, groceries and anything else you needed to survive on a daily basis.

I remember - when I was a boy - you could go the movies and watch two moves for the price of one at todays prices (or was it cheaper - probably cheeper). You could also go to what was called a Drive In (when you had a girlfriend and a car - well you get the idea) and watch a movie outside under the stars. Then if you wanted food, you would trudge to this beat up shack in the center of the drive-in and get lousy pizza, popcorn, candy and all the standard fair for a decent price. Or bring your own stuff from the outside and hang with your girlfriend in the car - you get the idea Smile

When I was a boy - my friends were no more then a drive away. The beach was a great place to hang with your friends at night under the stars with a roaring bonfire just hanging out.

You're probably wondering why I've listed all the above things and trust me I could do more. Well, as you can see I have given you all just a taste of what I have experienced without the internet. I grew up without it and I have seen things change because it.

I could continue on about this thing called the internet. But, if the internet had never been created, then I would not be a staff member here on the EUCantina, a host of a podcast, able to keep in contact with my old high school friends, have video conferences with my folks back east and lastly meet some really cool people that I may never "meet" face to face.

My rant is over - I am now feeling very old. Wish I could go back in time and watch that Herbie double feature again with my friend Mary. Smile

Good Night and Good Luck all!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, I hear you Kal. The internet offers so many amazing things that people could never have dreamed of being possible. And yet...your childhood (and those that grew up with and before you) sounds so much...nicer. Or at least more full, I should say. I feel like so much of my time gets whisked away when it's spent on the computer. It's like it never actually counts for anything. Time spent on the computer/internet is stolen from our short lives, never to be regained. Or at least that's how it seems. It just feels so intangible. And I'm the CMPS major! Wow...maybe I should stop being so philosophical.

*sigh* Anyway, as much as I love computers, sometimes I wonder how much better, or at least how much more fulfilled, our lives might seem. *ponders*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

It is not too late Mara Jade, you too can do these wonderful things! Most of these things that Kal Skirata mentioned are still available to do(except for 45s and 8 tracks), also, time spent on the internet is not all bad, you can meet friends. By the way, the internet is not all that old, I remember internet being widely available only in the last 10 years or so. You're making uncle Kal and me feel old! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh...sorry! And yes, you're exactly right on both counts. I suppose we could indeed do all those things mentioned, though unfortunately it's not more widespread. Maybe I should set a goal to do all those things as soon as possible! There are some drive-in theaters still in operation...

I need to visit the daylight a little more often myself. My Mom likes to call me Vampira, though it's not necessarily because I'm on the computer all the time. It's just because I don't like light. But anyway.

To the other thing you mentioned, you can indeed meet great people on the internet, as has been proven! Wink

And a quick disclaimer...I am not a vegetated extremely pale computer nerd (though I suppose I could work on my tan). I enjoy the outdoors very much indeed...I just wish I made myself go play outside more often. You know. Smile

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1