The Force Unleashed Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote  

Hey so when all the hype of TFU being released it was before the whole economic crisis that hit this fall. I have yet to buy any console but in the summer I was figuring I'd ask for a Wii as a Christmas gift and/or save up my money to get one.

Now I know TFU got decent reviews so its not like it would be a waste of money, after all I'm a Star Wars fan so I know chances are I would have fun with it.
There are other Wii games I would buy if I had a Wii system but I could take them or leave them so to me aren't enough of a draw to buy a Wii (I'd rather not mention what these other games are to avoid getting a biased response).

My main question is: is TFU an outstanding enough a game to merit buying a console to play it? An important thing to note is that with the rare occasion almost all of my console gaming is single player so the multiplayer options won't increase the replay value for me.

Everything basically boils down to how good TFU is because at this time it is the only game that could have a big enough draw to get me to buy a console. In these economic times however I don't want to go buy a Wii and then discover that TFU is one of those games that, while good, falls into the category of games where you play it once or twice and then will probably never touch it again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote  

Finally got my hands on this. It's fun, but it doesn't leave you feeling like a real Sith. A lot of it is because of game balance. There are stormtroopers who have shields and are thus immune to the Force, Rodians with gizmos on their hands which allow them to pick up and throw objects, etc. Some of the badguys are a little repetitive too. The stormtroopers are fine, but the Rodians are awful. They only come in two types but there are dozens upon dozens of them and they all either have a giant repeating blaster cannon or the arm gizmo things.

Also, playing on the harder difficulty settings looses all realism. Suddenly these pathetic enemies are able to kill you, and they do so all the time. It really isn't any fun playing on the harder settings. More frustrating than anything.

Another gripe is that your lightsaber is basically just a glowing stick. It doesn't cut your enemies in half (unless their droids) and all badguys require several whacks to kill. I would have preferred the lightsaber actually cutting the enemies. There wouldn't have been any blood since it cauterizes the wound, so I'm not real sure why they couldn't do that.

Yet playing on easy and enjoying all the different Force powers and combos is fun. You can change your outfit, lightsaber color/crystal, use Force lightning, etc. Plus their are holocrons you can collect in each level for some replay value.

Bottom line, I don't think this game warrants buying a game system, even for hardcore Star Wars fans. I haven't completed the game yet, so you have to take that in effect.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I consider it a great rental, but not purchase.

I have other reasons for not really liking it though. I am more the type who likes to explore in my games, and such. Thats why I loved KOTOR, i was able to take in the scenery talk to people, travel to different planets whenever i wanted, collect and customize items of real value (unlike collecting boring holocrons in TFU) and say what i wanted, etc. It felt like I was part of the world. Thats one of the biggest appeals of star wars to me.

Force Unleashed on the other hand had you quickly running through the levels, of which there was very few and they tended to all look very similiar. And you could never enjoy the scenery or explore because there was nothing interesting to find and there was constantly enemies shooting at you anyways.

So ya, Force Unleashed felt more like a glorified hack n slash game to me, and i am not a big fan of the genre. I am more an RPG type person, and like FPS games here and there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote  

Thanks guys for the replies. Its a shame that TFU doesn't seem to have lived up to its potential or expectations. At least that's the sense I'm getting from reviews I've read and you guys are pretty much confirming that.

The leveling faults are an interesting point you bring up DS. It sounds like rather than "unleashing" the Force they just ended up expanding the known Force powers without fundamentally changing combat to be more powerful.

@Autobon:
Sounds like we have similar tastes in video games. A good portion of mine are either RPGs or the FPS/RPG hybrids (like The Elder Scrolls series). Most of my games are either RPG, FPS or flight sim type games (X-Wing etc.).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
Sounds like we have similar tastes in video games. A good portion of mine are either RPGs or the FPS/RPG hybrids (like The Elder Scrolls series). Most of my games are either RPG, FPS or flight sim type games (X-Wing etc.).

Elder Scrolls Series? One of my favorite RPG series of all time. Oblivion and Morrowind are very far up there on my list of favorite games of all time. I havent ever played X-wing, but is it like the Rogue Squadron game for N64? That was my favorite game when i was younger. I havent played the ones on the game cube, hopefully someday i will get around to it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote  

Autobon wrote:

Elder Scrolls Series? One of my favorite RPG series of all time. Oblivion and Morrowind are very far up there on my list of favorite games of all time.

Those are great games. Two of the few games that years after being released can be played for hundreds of hours without getting mind-numbingly repetitive. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to play the game recently (I generally don't play it unless I have a few hours of free time because its so hard to pull yourself away from it if you get involved in a quest or something)

Quote:
I havent ever played X-wing, but is it like the Rogue Squadron game for N64? That was my favorite game when i was younger. I havent played the ones on the game cube, hopefully someday i will get around to it.

X-Wing isn't exactly like Rogue Squadron. It is all from the cockpit first-person view and is basically is like the Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator games, only in space with Star Wars ships and therefore even cooler. Cool It requires you to balance out the energy output of your shields, lasers (determining how fast they recharge and also how powerful your engines are at full throttle). X-Wing is a lot more involved in managing the ships systems whereas Rogue Squadron simplifies things down a bit. Don't get me wrong though Rogue Squadron is one of my most favorite games and easily rivals the X-Wing series on my list of favorites.

One thing that is different is that getting damaged in X-Wing negatively affects your ability to fight (you sensors can get knocked out for example leaving you completely blind) and if you die you lose the mission, there aren't the multiple lives of Rogue Squadron. So X-Wing might not be for everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I found X-Wing to be a very difficult game to get used to. Once I started getting the hang of it, though, I was absolutely hooked. Unfortunately, my joystick broke and I haven't managed to get another one. So I didn't get too far in the game, but I definitely think it's an awesome game to play. Very simple, not much to it, but at the same time very detailed. Like Salaris said, you've got to pay attention to your ship. You can adjust so many things, and so many of those adjustments can affect your outcomes.

Rogue Squadron was my most favorite game of all time back in the day. I got to be an absolute ace on the PC version. Unfortunately, I would get very creamed on even the first levels of the N64 version. I just wish they'd made the sequels for the computer.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alright, well know i know a little something about X-wing Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote  

Just an interesting aside: I believe the X-Wing novels were written as promos to the game (at the time it was not yet become a series). Sort of like the Republic Commando novel being a promo to the game.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I finally got to play the demo! And I have to say it was awesome, although it seems that the gameplay could get a little old after awhile. However, with the backstory and everything to go along with the entire game, it's probably awesome. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll ever play the whole thing. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Is The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition going to be a whole seperate game? Or is it just like the same game with an alternate level? Just wondering because I just got an Xbox 360 a couple months ago, so I had to buy TFU for DS (before I had the xbox), which sucked majorly, but I loved it anyway. Moving on, I was going to buy TFU for Xbox, until I heard that a special edition may be coming out in September, so I decided to wait and buy the SE. Now I see that the Ultinate Sith Edition is coming out, and I was wondering if I should just buy the regular game now, and then buy the SE later, or just buy the Special Edition?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I believe it is the same game, with lots of added content, such as new campaigns and levels.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

It's TFU the original and whole game, with the Coruscant level, Tatooine level, as well as a Hoth level. It's worth it Very Happy I would wait for the SE.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm gonna get it for the PC. I already beat it 5 times on the PSP, but I hope there is a good modding base for the PC version! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

There's a PC version?! *screams ecstatically* Shocked

Page 9 of 12