Republic Commando

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
Republic Commando
 PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I don't believe there's a thread for this, please correct me if I'm wrong. Just finished playing this tonight, and I can't believe they didn't make another one! I remember when I first started playing it that I thought it was bulky and didn't seem to have smooth gameplay. But I believe that may simply have been the intended feel of Geonosis. That was the squad's first action, I believe. As soon as the game moved away from Geonosis, everything became exactly what I had hoped for.

The squad mechanics were excellent and really helped you strategize the combat. It was also obvious that if you led your squad to snipe or throw grenades from certain points, you had a much better advantage than if you left them to themselves. In other words, victories were greatly benefitted from the player interacting with and leading the squad. A lot of times features such as those seem to make no difference, and the player eventually abandons them altogether.

Anyway, overall I loved it! I thought Scorch said the same things a few too many times, but that was minor. Very surprised they never went through with a sequel, especially considering the ending. Sad

Here's to a second game! Somebody at LucasArts, listen to me! I'm begging you. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Overall I've enjoyed the game.
It was a bit wierd that Scorch sounded like Carth Onasi, plus some other inconsistencies, but nothing too major.

The only thing that really bugged me about this game was that when you ordered someone into a strategic position, that someone wasn't the one you were going for.
Kashyyyk example: Scorch was sniping, Sev was sliceing and Fixer was throwing granades.

Nostalgic moment Cool:
Sev (after Boss snipes a Trandoshan): "No escape scaly!"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I absolutely loved this game! Although it was a little glitchy (the game, not the following), I had a great time laying out my squad, ready for the advancing droids. I loved, too - and hated - the fact that super battle droids were a lot more difficult to destroy. In games previous to that, and in games afterwards, they were easy to destroy - but not in this game. I think it perfectly captured the feeling that these men weren't Jedi, and these droids were a serious threat, and that the clones could be defeated. And defeated I was, many a time, thanks to my kamikaze tactics. I had the idea that I would act as a target for them, as my squad would take cover and deal with them. Even some Geonosians were difficult.

I haven't a clue why they didn't make a sequel. Maybe because they didn't see much beyond it? After all, it was just that one battle, effectively, left in the Clone Wars, and after that it would be subduing rebellious civilians and hunting Jedi. My guess is that they thought the audience wouldn't want to play as the bad guy? Anyway, I'm adding my voice to the call to LucasArts.

Oh!

Maybe that rumour about Battlefront III is incorrect, and that it's actually RC II they're making instead?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote  

Overall I loved the game and the squad mechanics. I agree though that it would've been nice if squad mates were more context specific following orders (when you order sniping Sev takes the role, not the nearest squad mate etc.) and if each had a bonus to their role to encourage good management (for example Fixer slicing 50% faster then everyone else).

One disappointment I had was the DC-17m didn't always feel that powerful. Sometimes it seemed that enemy weapons were more powerful then the supposed cutting edge Republic military equipment.

My biggest gripe though was the difference between normal and hard mode. All that did was increase enemy hit points with the result that your DC-17m was often low on ammo (and it bugged the heck out of me when it would take 1-2 magazines to kill a single guy). It really emphasized the feeling that the DC-17m wasn't sufficient for the job. I would've much preferred making hard mode a more realistic type mode that put greater emphasis on situational awareness and getting the first shot off (not to the point of most weapons being 1 hit kills).

Perhaps the reason they never made a sequel though is because the Clone Wars ended up being a much shorter time span then the OT seemed to imply combined with the fact that the first game tried to cover 80-90% of the Clone Wars time period. In retrospect if they had expanded the game to have many missions ending in the mission where the Deltas board the Republic Assault ship as they could've then gotten at least 1 more game building up to the eve of ROTS.

Page 1 of 1