Star Wars Miconceptions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars Miconceptions
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ever had any misconceptions about any of the movies (or EU, I suppose)? I've had plenty. Feel free to share them here!

I'll start:

I thought (as it seems everybody else did too) that a lightsaber was a lifesaver. I mean, it makes sense. The Jedi used them for the good of the galaxy, to preserve life. Hence, in my young mind, the name 'lifesaver'. I didn't really connect it with the candy. I assumed it was a coincidence that they had the same name. Smile

For years I had misconception about ANH. Right after Luke comes back from seeing his house burned and his aunt and uncle dead, you remember that C-3PO is holding a dead Jawa? I guess they were cleaning up what the stormtroopers left. Well, I thought that 3PO was holding Luke's coat, and that when Luke walks by, 3PO's offering it to him. But Luke was sad at the moment and didn't want it. So since he didn't want it, 3PO turned around and threw it into the fire. What I couldn't figure out, though, was why in the world he'd burn a perfectly good coat just cause Luke didn't want to wear it at the moment! This caused me great confusion for a long, long time. Every time I saw that scene, it bugged me. I eventually figured it out, though. Very Happy

I also thought (when Obi-Wan's messing with the tractor beam) that when those stormtroopers come out in the open, and Obi-Wan pulls that lever thing, that he was turning it back on real fast so the stormtroopers wouldn't notice he'd turned it off. *shrugs*

It took me a gazillion years to realize it was Han in the cockpit of the AT-ST on Endor (when they get the guys to open up the bunker and send a squad out). I always assumed they'd gotten some Imperial dude (from somewhere) and forced him at gunpoint or something to call the other Imperials and have them do all that.

When Luke told the stormtroopers that he'd had the droids for 3 or 4 seasons, I figured he was telling the truth and I just had to figure out how long a season was. And it must have only been about a day or something, because he sure hadn't had them very long. Smile

I couldn't understand what the floaty thing was that came into Leia's cell when Darth Vader was in there. What in the world was it? A vacuum cleaner or something? Did it give her food? (I never really paid attention to the needle it had) It finally clicked one day.

When I first read the back of the box on TPM (I hadn't seen it in theaters, I wasn't too into SW yet), I was trying to figure out what Darth Maul was. When reading the box, I saw it said something about the Sith, so I assumed that he was part of the Sith species, and that all Sith had horns and red faces with black stripes.

I didn't know the emperor's name was Palpatine (I did, but I forgot), so when I watched TPM, I assumed that Palpatine was a good guy. It always bugged me, though, that the camera zoomed in on him in the end though. I knew that had to be important, and I couldn't figure out why. On about the 3rd viewing, I finally remembered that the emperor's name was Palpatine, and it all clicked together. I was so proud of myself for figuring that out, not realizing that for most SW fans it was common knowledge. Smile

I also never realized (when I was little) where the cockpit was for the Millenium Falcon. I thought it was somewhere between the two docking mandibles. I had no clue it was on the side. I found out one day when looking at a close-up picture of the Falcon in the incredible cross-sections book. Shocked that that was where it was located, I instantly decided the authors of the book were wrong, because that space was far too small to be the cockpit. Good grief, hadn't they ever watched the movies? Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

When i saw star wars for the first time when i was little, i thought the Dianoga creature, that was trying to eat luke in the death star garbage room, was the one that activated the walls to start closing in.

I dont know why i ever thought that, but there you go.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

i always remember having my little R5-D4 action figure, with the firing missle piece, and whenever i watched that scene, and luke would go up to R5, i would always be like, "Watch out, don't you know that things got a rocket laucher in there?!"
it didn't click in till years later that the droid was broken, not out to kill luke. i could also never tell witch of the kaminoens were witch, or witch one obi wan was talking to.
and in ESB, how everyone was still alive when the AT-ATs blew up the base. they were all still running around inside, like it was still there, but, veers had just blown it up! Laughing

Re: Star Wars Miconceptions
 PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

I also thought (when Obi-Wan's messing with the tractor beam) that when those stormtroopers come out in the open, and Obi-Wan pulls that lever thing, that he was turning it back on real fast so the stormtroopers wouldn't notice he'd turned it off. *shrugs*

I've always thought the EXACT same thing! To this day I still think that's what it looks like he's doing even though I know he can't be doing that.

While this never happened to me I once heard that a misconception was during the Death Star prison break scene when Han yells at Leia "He's the brains sweetheart" people have thought he said "Peas for brains sweetheart" It never fails to give me a laugh. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

You thought that too, really?! That's too funny! Very Happy

To steal another one, I've heard somebody say that when Obi-Wan says, "As if millions of voices cried out in terror...", they thought he said, "As if millions of oysters cried out in terror..." Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, I heard the oyster thing too Mara. Took me forever to figure that one out as a kid.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
You thought that too, really?! That's too funny! Very Happy

Great minds think alike perhaps? Smile I've always wondered if I was the only Star Wars fan who didn't get what was going on. Now that that question has been resolved its just a matter of figuring out what he's actually doing...

Quote:

To steal another one, I've heard somebody say that when Obi-Wan says, "As if millions of voices cried out in terror...", they thought he said, "As if millions of oysters cried out in terror..." Laughing

When I read that the first thing I thought was "so was that caused by the clam bake to end all clam bakes?" It just gave me this image of a beach party stretching across several miles. Laughing

This one comes from the Official Star Wars forum thread that serves a similar purpose. When Han yells "Don't get cocky" someone misheard it as "Don't get coffee!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Laughing My parents speak primarily spanish, so I grew up speaking spanish, and when I saw ANH on TV for the 1st time, when I heard Han yell to Luke, "don't get cocky!", I thought it was the baby-spanish way to tell him to..er, not soil his pants! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

in episodes 4-6 i thought palpatines name was the Empire.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

being little, i still didnt get that luke and leia were sisters. so everytime i watched the movies, i hoped Leia would choose Luke instead of Han because they looked better together. Now i see how wrong i was...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1