Fate of the Jedi 4: Backlash by Aaron Allston
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
As much as I'm enjoying Callista in No Prisoners, I would be so devastated if she showed up in FotJ. Or if she and Luke got together, that is. Agh! Now I'm afraid. Confused

I'm hoping that they don't bring her back as a love interest, but I'd love to see her show back up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Rouge77 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
. And *gasps* Rouge! How could you say such a thing?! Vestara being Ben's... love interest? Sorry, for my eccentricities, but I'm me.

Just think of Vestara as Ben's Callista, if that helps! Wink

Thanks, Rouge, That helps. Smile
As far as Luke and Callista getting back together: NO WAY! It would seem weird and a little disrespectful.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Reepicheep wrote:
Rouge77 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
. And *gasps* Rouge! How could you say such a thing?! Vestara being Ben's... love interest? Sorry, for my eccentricities, but I'm me.

Just think of Vestara as Ben's Callista, if that helps! Wink

Thanks, Rouge, That helps. Smile
As far as Luke and Callista getting back together: NO WAY! It would seem weird and a little disrespectful.

Weird I can understand, but how would it be disrespectful? Mara's dead, Luke has to move on with his life, Callista is a women who is alive that Luke has had feelings for, nothing disrespectful in following up on those feelings, it's not like she would be replacing Mara.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well Bill, the only reason she didn't wind up Luke's wife in the first place is that after they'd started her storyline they saw fan reaction was better for Mara than her so they wrote her out. It would just seem taky and like a cop-out to bring her back as a love interest just from a feeling that Luke can' tbe single.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It would be so wierd. Noone can replace Mara, and what would Ben think?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

SwordoftheJedi wrote:
It would be so wierd. Noone can replace Mara, and what would Ben think?

See that's why I think they'd do it. Del Rey has tried to get 'edgy' and 'emotional' and 'realistic' by killing characters off in droves and by adding a darkness and violence that Star Wars hadn't seen before. how long before we have a Ben Skywalker teetering on the edge of depression from Daddy's new girlfriend Callista. I can see it now, the three of them eating dinner in awkward silence and then Ben saying things like 'Mom always had something to lift us up. You're not mom' and stuff like that. I can honestly see Del Rey do it. Sadly...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You know what? that is totally a possibility. Del Rey WOULD do something like that...maybye a storyline like... "As Luke Skywalker and his son Ben venture further into the galaxy, Luke encounters an old flame, and sparks fly. As Luke distracts himself with love, Ben is finding himself closer and closer to someone he would never have considered before... (Vestara? :/)" so, idk. just thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If that winds up on a dust jacket I'll both praise you for acheiving that status and feel guilty because what if they got the idea for this storyline from our discussion. Freaky thought huh?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Caedus_16 wrote:
Well Bill, the only reason she didn't wind up Luke's wife in the first place is that after they'd started her storyline they saw fan reaction was better for Mara than her so they wrote her out. It would just seem taky and like a cop-out to bring her back as a love interest just from a feeling that Luke can' tbe single.

I wouldn't mind if he stayed single, but at the same time it would make sense for someone as insular as Luke to turn to the only other person who was a significant love interest for him. All I'm saying is that while it would be weird, I fail to see how it would be disrespectful in any way for Luke to continue living his life.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This is true. I really don't understand the disrespect myself, but I just wouldn't want them to have Callista fade in and out just because Luke needs a feminine interest. If she came back as something else it'd be fine but as that its just kinda like that's all she's good for.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay, allow me to explain the disrespect. Now, obviously I'm not yet married, but I often look ahead and try to imagine what it would be like. One of the things I thought of is if my wife died would I remarry and I thought absoluty not! Call me old fashioned, but it just seems disrespectful to remarry.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

See I know some people who would remarry but I also know some who would move on. Its less disrespectful than just life. If your loved one truly wants you to pine over their loss and remain alone the rest of your life after they die then that's kinda selfish. Just a thought I had. My girlfriend and I have actually had this conversation and I told her I wouldn't wanna be with anyone else whereas she would want me to move on and experience something new.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Reepicheep wrote:
Okay, allow me to explain the disrespect. Now, obviously I'm not yet married, but I often look ahead and try to imagine what it would be like. One of the things I thought of is if my wife died would I remarry and I thought absoluty not! Call me old fashioned, but it just seems disrespectful to remarry.

I don't see anything disrespectful in the act. Obvious it's a personal preference, and while I have no doubts I will love whatever woman I marry, I would never want her to not remarry should I die. We had our time together and made the most of it, but now I'm out of the picture and I;'d much rather see her be happy with someone else than live the rest of her life alone and very likely not happy in any way.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think that it is usually best for people to be ready to accept a new love if they happen to find it, as brooding over a lost lover often has darker sides. Just cherishing the memory of that lost lover can turn unhealthy and make your life miserable - and often shorter that it would need to be.

That said, I think that Luke's situation is different. Mara is not really dead, she lives as part of the Force, can appear as a Force Ghost and as Force is everywhere, Luke isn't really separated from her as in real life. Luke could basically just leave his mortal existence behind anytime he wishes and join her for all eternity. So, what is good for here on Earth might not be the right decision for Luke Skywalker.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Rouge77 wrote:
I think that it is usually best for people to be ready to accept a new love if they happen to find it, as brooding over a lost lover often has darker sides. Just cherishing the memory of that lost lover can turn unhealthy and make your life miserable - and often shorter that it would need to be.

That said, I think that Luke's situation is different. Mara is not really dead, she lives as part of the Force, can appear as a Force Ghost and as Force is everywhere, Luke isn't really separated from her as in real life. Luke could basically just leave his mortal existence behind anytime he wishes and join her for all eternity. So, what is good for here on Earth might not be the right decision for Luke Skywalker.

Dang, I hadn't thought of it that way. Food for thought, no?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 11