Randomt thought on life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

When I was a kid, the school day in the school I went then was started by singing a psalm, and an anti-evolution speaker was let to speak in some school event. (She claimed that there was no evidence of evolution, and I just wanted to jump up and claim that wasn't true...) Later in my school days, when that psalm singing stopped, I was relieved - and not just because I was and am a bad singer. And I was then still a some sort of quasi-Protestant, but not enough not to be irked when one teacher once proclaimed in a class "We here are all protestants".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Very true, Autobon. It seems that the people screaming "Tolerance!" are the most intolerant of them all. It's tolerate everything but Christianity. And they say our nation was not founded on Biblical principles? Ha! George Washington said, "It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God." And it was John Adams and John Hancock who said, "We recognize no sovereign but God, and no king but Jesus!" The whole seperation of church and state isn't even in the Constitution. How many people know that?

Like what's with the whole "Happy Holidays!". I mean, seriously. What other holiday do you pronounce "Happy Holidays!"? For Easter you say "Happy Easter!", for Thanksgiving you say, "Have a great Thanksgiving!",but for Christmas you say "Happy Holidays!"? If you don't like the holiday, make up your own. Don't twist ours. I've even seen advertised a 'Holiday Tree'. What? Confused

I don't know, but it just annoys me that my religion is the only one being eradicated. We can tolerate all others but Christianity. If you're going to allow all religions, fine, but then allow all religions. Not all but one. Neutral

Edit: Now Rogue, I don't believe we should shove our religion down others' throats, either. But if we're going to tolerate, we need to tolerate all. Not get on to pastors for preaching against homosexuality. That's their right! If you don't want to hear it, well then good grief, don't listen! *sigh*

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Actually, "Happy Holidays" was coined because Christmas, Hannukah, and Kwanza all take place near the same time. But yeah, now they are just going crazy with it just to take Christ out of Christmas.

And Xmas is another one that really ticks me off... Mad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, well then I apologize for that bit. But still, "Holiday Trees"? Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Oh, well then I apologize for that bit. But still, "Holiday Trees"? Confused

Yea, that's one of the cases their going overboard with. They're just using that phrase an excuse now to take God out of Christmas.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Christmas trees are a late, late thing, first coming to use in 16th century Germany and becoming popular in Anglo-Saxon countries only in the 19th century. Their re-naming doesn't seem to me to be a great loss to Christians, especially as the Christmas trees have apparent pagan connections and are nowadays mostly connected to mass consumerism.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well that was my point. I don't care what they're called, but seriously...why change the name? If they're associated with consumerism, and not Christianity, then why was there a need to change the name to something odd like "Holiday Tree"? Just seems off to me. Confused

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well said, Autobahn and Mara. Smile
Sometimes in Canada, when the National Anthem is sung, the part that mentions God is sung in French. Now. I'm cool with singing part in French for Quebec, but why that part? Mad

I'm depressed I think I'll read some Narnia, that always helps.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Re: Randomt thought on life
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

My random thought on life- life's about circles. Everything comes around one way or another, it's true for the individual or a society as a whole. But only in abstracts.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Autobon wrote:
Rouge77 wrote:
Evolution has been proven multiple times over

It has not been proven multiple times over. In fact, the more we learn in science, the more evolution becomes a ridiculous thing to believe in. This is a completely separate discussion though, so I am not going to expand in this thread.

Forgive me- I've been out of school longer then most so I'm sure the "BOOKS" have changed since I was there.

For me I always saw it as Creation through Evolution. I mean all the time we see animals that have evolved and adapted to survive. You have multiple types of species running around- to me these are signs of evolution. Though I think Darwin (almost spelled Darman) was way off trying to say we came from Chimps. To me it would be truer to say that we and them evolved from the same thing, or something along those lines.

But Like I said I've not seen any new books so I don't know what the "Current" Arguments are.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darwin never said that we evolved from chimpanzees, no scientiest of any merit has ever claimed that. Darwin just recognized chimpanzees and other great apes as our closest living relatives. So, we are "just" descended from common ancestors, now extinct ape species.

Chimpanzees and bonobos are something like cousins to human species, gorillas second cousins, orangutangs third cousins, gibbons fourth cousins etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Rouge77 wrote:
Darwin never said that we evolved from chimpanzees, no scientiest of any merit has ever claimed that. Darwin just recognized chimpanzees and other great apes as our closest living relatives. So, we are "just" descended from common ancestors, now extinct ape species.

Chimpanzees and bonobos are something like cousins to human species, gorillas second cousins, orangutangs third cousins, gibbons fourth cousins etc.

Sorry, what I meant to say was that I hear that as a main argument against- for me it might not have been as explained, but the evidence is all around that evolution is a real thing.

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If God is the answer then why is religion the cause of war in the wolrd (the main cause anyway).

One of my many reasons for having a very difficult time in beleiving in such things. 12 years of catholic school for me, and I've essentially turned into an athiest. I hold out hope for some type of higher power. But organized religion? Filled with many hypocrites and opportunists. One thing I do beleive: if there is a higher power, it is one higher power. Christians aren't right, muslims aren't right, buddists, whoever. I beleive all of these differences are "man"'s interpretations of the same being.

If love is something to be desired then why are 79% of suicides attributed to love?

I think because people confuse love with lust addiction. "gotta have it" mentatlity. When that IT applies to a person and things don't go as planned, the ultimate act of depression follows. That's why I tell anyone who asks me advice about a bad relationship I say to move on, life is short and things more often than not get worse.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Rouge77, about the butterflies. Is that really evolution though? Adapting is one thing, changing into a different species is something else.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

kurtdc wrote:
If God is the answer then why is religion the cause of war in the wolrd (the main cause anyway).

One of my many reasons for having a very difficult time in beleiving in such things. 12 years of catholic school for me, and I've essentially turned into an athiest. I hold out hope for some type of higher power. But organized religion? Filled with many hypocrites and opportunists. One thing I do beleive: if there is a higher power, it is one higher power. Christians aren't right, muslims aren't right, buddists, whoever. I beleive all of these differences are "man"'s interpretations of the same being.

Yeah, you sound like my Dad almost. He still totally believes in God, just not the "man's Religion" that goes with it. I see myself more Spiritual then anything else.

-
-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 6 of 14