Fate of the Jedi 5: Allies Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote  

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote  

Okay, so I just found the forum board over on theforce.net, and I was reading a thread about whether Jaina will survive FOTJ, and I realized that I'd actually be happier if they did kill her off. To be honest, after the death of Anakin, I could really care less for the Solos' other two children. As far as I'm concerned, removing them from the big picture will add room for other characters, hopefully character which I like or will like.

And going along that line of thought, we're almost there. With Jacen dead and now
, plus no confirmed placement of Jaina as part of the Fel line, Jaina could be killed off. Then I wouldn't have to read any more of her tormented character due to that stupid "Sword of the Jedi" prophecy.

So I'd like to hear from the Jaina fans: Why should Jaina stick around when she's going to be cursed by the "Sword of the Jedi" prophecy?

"I name you the Sword of the Jedi. You are like tempered steel, purposeful and razor-keen. Always you shall be in the front rank, a burning brand to your enemies, a brilliant fire to your friends. Yours is a restless life, and never shall you know peace, though you shall be blessed for the peace that you bring to others. Take comfort in the fact that, though you stand tall and alone, others take shelter in the shadow that you cast."

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think it would suck to have the solo line totally obliterated. Of course not necessarily with Allana, but you know what I mean. I do suppose the Imperial Knights themselves do not have to descend from Jaina/Jag.

I vote to keep her around. But if they kill her off, I want some drama and heartache.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

NO!! Jaina can't die! True Jaina never knows rest, but I'd hardly call her cursed. Being the Sword of the Jedi is a priveledge and she's got Jag and, Del Rey willing, children and, besides, do any Jedi know peace?

Other than liking Jaina, I think it would be ridiculous if Han and Leia outlived all their children. Even if she was to die the only person who would fill her shoes is Allana (and we all don't want that- at least not yet), because I don't think they would introduce protaganists (at least in the main stories:NJO LotF, FotJ etc) who isn't a family member.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'm with Reep. Having Han and Leia outlive Jaina would just be cruel. They haven't been doing her justice since the NJO, but I don't think killing her off is the answer.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I'm with Reep. Having Han and Leia outlive Jaina would just be cruel. They haven't been doing her justice since the NJO, but I don't think killing her off is the answer.

Haven't been doing her justice? They've only made her one of the baddest a###s of the current generation of jedi. While not a master, she is included in many of the master's meetings. I think she has been getting lots of cred.

But definitely agreed, it would be way too cruel for the solos to outlive all their children. For that reason alone I don't think she'll be killed off. She may end up being long suffering due to her obligations, but not dead, at least for a while.

With only two issues to go, I sure don't think we are going to get any insight from the Legacy comic line.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

kurtdc wrote:
Haven't been doing her justice? They've only made her one of the baddest a###s of the current generation of jedi. While not a master, she is included in many of the master's meetings. I think she has been getting lots of cred.

They've given her plenty of credit, but zero page time. They tell us that she's amazing, but never let us see it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I can see that. I think that is one of the downfalls with series', they have to keep focus on the whole arc. Jaina could use a one-off.

However, she did get a lot of page time the last 1/3-1/2 of the LOTF series.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:13 am Reply with quote  

Okay, so most everyone here seems to think Jaina deserves to live. I'm perfectly willing to go along with that, but I want Jaina revamped. Before they do another absurdly long series of expensive hardbacks, I want a stand alone Jaina novel that will make her character shine. In fact I think that is exactly what these big series (LOTF, FOTJ) are missing. NJO was a success and supposedly this is what Del Rey is trying to recreate with these series, however, part of what made the NJO such a success was that the trilogies were broken up with some stand alones (like Traitor and Star By Star) that gave specific attention to new characters and existing characters. I think this is what FOTJ and LOTF is missing. Millennium Falcon had the right idea, but it shined the light on the wrong characters.

That Zekk novel could have really helped out. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Okay, so most everyone here seems to think Jaina deserves to live. I'm perfectly willing to go along with that, but I want Jaina revamped. Before they do another absurdly long series of expensive hardbacks, I want a stand alone Jaina novel that will make her character shine. In fact I think that is exactly what these big series (LOTF, FOTJ) are missing. NJO was a success and supposedly this is what Del Rey is trying to recreate with these series, however, part of what made the NJO such a success was that the trilogies were broken up with some stand alones (like Traitor and Star By Star) that gave specific attention to new characters and existing characters. I think this is what FOTJ and LOTF is missing. Millennium Falcon had the right idea, but it shined the light on the wrong characters.

That Zekk novel could have really helped out. Sad

I agree with that wholeheartedly. I liked LOTF, but felt some things were missing. Obviously Invicible just blew off every aspect of the end of the war other than Jacen vs. Jaina. So much more could have been done. And had they done a book just on Jaina it could have shown how much she had developed. Instead, there was a ton of griping about "how could Jaina suddenly get powerful enough to face Jacen?". Well it was because we were left to assume her progress because the time was never spent to flesh out her character more.

They did do a decent job of the when she went and trained with the mandos, but we didn't get anything prior to that.

I understand some of the stand alones don't sell as well, so if that is the case, make the novels longer and spend that time with the characters. Others that could get more time:

Kyp(how they have let such a powerful character wilt away is beyond me).
Lowie
Seba

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote  

Oooo, Kyp, that's a good one. He REALLY needs a stand alone book. Man, the more I think about it, the better that sounds. That's just a great idea.

A Saba book would be good, but to be honest, that Kyp one sounds awesome. I think I'd like that one better than Jaina.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Oooo, Kyp, that's a good one. He REALLY needs a stand alone book. Man, the more I think about it, the better that sounds. That's just a great idea.

I had never really considered that, but now that I think about it, I really like the idea. Kyp (and all the other Masters, for that matter) have basically done nothing but sit around and talk for the last two series. Sad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The way I see it, look at how powerful he was completely untrained. Add in his somewhat rebellious(albeit toned down with age) attitude and you've got a dude capable of serious stuff. Hell, I wondered why he wasn't a good choice to go after Jacen in the LOTF books. Completely underused character IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I would really like some more standalones focusing on neglected characters... which is what we're going to get after FotJ apparently.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 5 of 8