The Day of the Cartridges
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Day of the Cartridges
 PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So who remembers mindlessly playing Sega, Nintendo, Atari, etc? Not me! My dad would never let us have any consoles, only computers. But I remember always being sooo excited when I went to a cousin's or a friend's house and would play for hours. I usually bored my friends, because they generally played every day already. But I never got to play! So I loved to play at their houses. So anyway, does anybody still have a Sega or a Nintendo or something?

I'm a little behind most kids my age, because I rarely got to play these games when I was little. So now that I've acquired a Super Nintendo, I've beat Mario a few times, and Mortal Kombat. Now we're working on Mortal Kombat 2. I've had a few Segas through the last few years, but I always end up selling them on eBay. Just the other day I got another one, and I've been waiting for the A/C adapter to come in. It should be here today, and I'm looking forward to playing Sonic and Doom, which was one of my favorite games on the computer as a kid. I never beat Sonic, the few times I played it, cause you can't save! That's the one thing about the Sega that always bugged me. If you were going to be good at a game, you had to be really good. You couldn't be a master of the Quick Save, you know?

So anyway, share your reminisces of bygone video games: your favorites, your least favorites, your stories of such times, etc. Have fun! Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote  

Let's see, for me it all started with Nintendo and Mario/Duck Hunt. Now there was a classic. My dad was the first one to beat Mario, which impressed me as a kid cause it was hard. And of course with Duck Hunt there was always the temptation to just go point blank and blast the ducks. But the funnest discover was when I found out you could control the ducks if you plugged in a remote. So then one person shoots and the other person dodges. Was probably in the instruction booklet, but hey, who reads those things?

I never did get a Sega, but I did get a Super Nintendo, a Gameboy, a Playstation, an Atari, an Xbox, and now and Xbox 360.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I remember playing on my cousin's NES and Sega alot.

We would usually play Mario, Looney Tunes, Toy Story, or Donkey Kong, something along the lines of those games. And I remember I could play those for hours... They were alot more fun that games now!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Not only do I remember, but I still own all my cartridge systems, well every system I've ever had actually. My basement is my new game room, so any time I feel like I go downstairs and pop in a cartridge for the NES, Sega Genesis, Sega 32X, or Neo-Geo Gold. I also have a 3DO, a Playstation 2, a Sega CD and a Sega Dreamcast down there. I still plan to pick up a 360, as well as a regular XBox for the few games that don't up-convert, as well as a Gamecube, SNES and a few other systems.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I still use my N64, my Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, and yes! Even my ancient brick gameboy!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I had an Atari for an embarassingly long time before I got my first PC back in 1990 and remember well the cartridges. But I haven't got an inch of nostalgia for those days. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

N64 baby, all the way. I was just playing Donkey Kong 64 the other day...pretty epic. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I finally got past the Labyrinth Zone in Sonic, for the first time, made it all the way to Scrap Brain Zone: Act 2, and died! *wails* For those of you who don't know, that's the second to last level! And I'd never even beaten Labyrinth before, which is only halfway through the game! *sobs* Crying or Very sad

Grrr...I have now vowed to beat said Sonic game...Twisted Evil

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

This time I was standing next to the spring that springs you out of the final level! *sob*

Life isn't fair! Crying or Very sad

Although on a more optimistic note, I guess this means I'm getting better. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I remember my Super Nintendo(bought used) system very fondly! Smile I also had an old 2nd hand NES, but the SNES was my favorite. I remember playing Street Fighter on that thing for hours and hours! My blistered thumbs didn't appreciateit too much, though! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ha, I have Street Fighter! Although I think it's number 2. Is there a second one? As you can tell, I don't ever play it. Maybe I'll have to give it a try...soon as I beat Sonic. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Ha, I have Street Fighter! Although I think it's number 2. Is there a second one? As you can tell, I don't ever play it. Maybe I'll have to give it a try...soon as I beat Sonic. Wink

You'd need to be more specific with Street Fighter, there was,

Street Fighter
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II: Turbo
Street Fighter II: Championship Edition
Super Street Fighter II
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter III
Street Fighter III: Double Impact
Street Fighter II: 3rd Strike (AKA the best game of the entire series even if most fans won't admit it)
Street Fighter EX
Street Fighter EX 2
Street Fighter EX 3
Street Fighter IV

And about 12 other variations that I can't remember. As you can see they made a lot of SF games, a lot.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote  

Well for me it wasn't until the Gamecube came out that I got a console, before then it was just computer games.

I had a friend who had a Nintendo and it was a Donkey Kong game (the one where you play as Diddy Kong) and that fascinated me. I wasn't very good at it though so my friend would have to take over for the tough levels. That was probably the first console game I ever played. I also recall playing Donkey Kong 64 multiplayer with a friend. Usually he would beat me but on occasion I would manage to snipe him with Diddy's peanut gun and that always brought entertaining results.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, so I guess they made more than one. Shocked

Edit: Just checked, and it's Super Street Fighter 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Agh! This time I was in the Final Zone, and I was killing him! But one of those little things fell and hit me...and I wasn't even touching it! Sad

Now I've got to go through the whole darn thing agian. Grrr...Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 3