Fate of the Jedi 6: Vortex by Troy Denning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

LivingJediDream wrote:
I've been a bit disappointed by the direction the series has taken with the second trilogy. Vortex kind of hammered it home for me, but in the first three books, the seeming undercurrent to the storyline was the Celestials, with the Kessel bit in Outcast, the Aing-Tii prophecy concerning Those Who Dwell Beyond the Veil returning, Sinkhole Station and Centerpoint Station, the Keshiri Destructors, etc.

These bits were seemingly abandoned in the second trilogy, and replaced by the slave uprising subplot and conspiracy against Daala that will presumably return in Conviction. I don't know about everyone else, but I thought the ancient mystery aspect was the most intriguing part of FOTJ... we didn't learn much about Abeloth in Vortex, at least as much as I thought we would.

I'm especially hoping that the Kessel subplot to Outcast, which was about a third of that book, doesn't turn out to be another case of Jacen's tassels. But I fear it will be...

Other than that, I found the book to be pretty good. I read parts of it and listened to parts on the audiobook, and I found the part with Madhi Vaandt on Blaudu Sextus to be particularly moving in the audiobook.

When is Avinoam Arelis going to get his due? Clearly he's the best young prospect in the Jedi order.

Yeah I too have been wondering what's going on with the Celestial/ Destroyer plot Wink I have a feeling it'll be the heart of the last 3 books Wink Abeloth and her tie to everything ancient in the SW universe have me so intrigued! I think if they ignore that I'd be most unhappy ;(

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Agreed in that I think the Celestial/ Destroyer thing will come back.
However, something struck me last night. It could be possible that Abeloth isn't as old as we thought. After all, That Keshiri dived in and is now turning into something akin to Abeloth. It could be that whoever Abeloth is, she may not be as old as time itself, but possibly just an Old Republic Jedi who was also drawn to that dwelling by the pool itself, or perhaps the last person to have dived in, the 'previous Abeloth'. If that's correct then it's likely that the Sith, sorry I'm blanking on his name, will take over from the current Abeloth in being the pool's corporeal outlet.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:24 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
Agreed in that I think the Celestial/ Destroyer thing will come back.
However, something struck me last night. It could be possible that Abeloth isn't as old as we thought. After all, That Keshiri dived in and is now turning into something akin to Abeloth. It could be that whoever Abeloth is, she may not be as old as time itself, but possibly just an Old Republic Jedi who was also drawn to that dwelling by the pool itself, or perhaps the last person to have dived in, the 'previous Abeloth'. If that's correct then it's likely that the Sith, sorry I'm blanking on his name, will take over from the current Abeloth in being the pool's corporeal outlet.

I had once pondered if Abeloth was Sy'bal (sp) The Mind Witch. So much was so similar.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm beginning to suspect that Abeloth is some sort of infection, in a sense, in that she doesn't necessarily have a corporeal form but uses those of the infected, e.g. Callista, Akanah, Dyon. She's would almost be like a Force sensitive verison of the Flood from Halo.

The part I don't understand is that I'm given the impression that the original form we saw was Callista, literally Callista's body. What is the original body? Or wasn't there one? Did Callista go into the Pool of Knowledge to restore her connection to the Force?

And if Abeloth has no corporeal form besides those she steals, what exactly did -- presumably the Celestials -- lock away in the Maw? Her essence? Her last infected form? Is her essence in that pool?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I would guess they locked in the last coporeal form she had taken. Somehow the celestials have to come into play, if only in the form of some explanation from abeloth herself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

LivingJediDream wrote:
I'm beginning to suspect that Abeloth is some sort of infection, in a sense, in that she doesn't necessarily have a corporeal form but uses those of the infected, e.g. Callista, Akanah, Dyon. She's would almost be like a Force sensitive verison of the Flood from Halo.

This is an excellent point, and I completely agree. I'm at school right now, so I can't elaborate at the moment, but that's a great explanation. It's very possible. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

LivingJediDream wrote:

The part I don't understand is that I'm given the impression that the original form we saw was Callista, literally Callista's body. What is the original body? Or wasn't there one? Did Callista go into the Pool of Knowledge to restore her connection to the Force?

And if Abeloth has no corporeal form besides those she steals, what exactly did -- presumably the Celestials -- lock away in the Maw? Her essence? Her last infected form? Is her essence in that pool?

Hmmm Interesting. I could see this.

-
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I finished Vortex a few days ago.

I haven't read any of your reviews yet, but here are my general thoughts:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

New crazy theory time!

Given that I find Jacen post-TUF to have been handled in an immensely unsatisfying way (JINO), it occurred to me that Luceno left something on the table in the novel Millennium Falcon that either is a vestige of a discarded plot element to FOTJ, or hinting toward this theory, or some variation thereof. Namely, in MF, when Seff does his thing at the zoo, Allana identifies him as feeling like Jacen in the Force. At the time, it was believed that Jacen was somehow related to the insane Jedi, given their demonstration of abilities he knew, e.g. Flow-Walking (or more accurately, Aing-Tii fighting-sight?), among other things.

However, it has subsequently been revealed that Abeloth is the cause of this, at least to some degree, given its cessation upon her apparent demise -- which led me to erroneously believe her to be well and truly dead, given that Luke had no way of knowing the psychosis ended thus making it a feint seem unlikely. But I digress.

Anyway, the fact that Allana identified an insane Jedi as feeling similar to her father in the Force would seem to be foreshadowing by Luceno for something which was later dropped, or something still in play. My previously stated belief, that Abeloth is incorporeal and takes possession of individuals, would therefore provide the possibility that Jacen befell this fate, and that JINO was in fact Abeloth in Jacen's guise.

Of course, this theory has holes, namely JINO didn't behave in a manner that would benefit Abeloth based upon her current behavior and she's trying to undo what he did, and his ghost was still kind of evil, so... Crying or Very sad

Also, don't know if this has been mentioned, but
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Edit: It has been pointed out to me by an esteemed colleague that the ghost of Jacen could have been an illusion generated by Abeloth, given the uncertainty around how genuine those apparitions truly were. Further, Abeloth's stated goal of restoring the flow undone by Jacen could have been a lie to placate the Fallanassi. Don't stop believin'!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Han also seemed to think that Jacen was somehow acting through or influencing Allana in MF. I think that Luceno opened the door to kind of situation where Jacen would have been to Allana what Obi-wan was to Luke post-ANH in the OT era, but that door seems to have been firmly closed in FotJ.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 12 of 12