On the road
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Spaceport View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the road
 PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote  

Hey guys, I'll be gone most of this coming week. Heading out to Toronto to see the Yankees vs Blue Jays game (go Yankees!) and an exhibit on the Dead Sea Scrolls. I'll be back by the end of the week though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Have fun at both events! Very Happy I can't cheer for the Yankees to win, but I hope you have a good time either way. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hey man, have fun! I have always wanted to see the dead sea scrolls exhibit, never got the chance, lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:23 am Reply with quote  

Have a good trip Salaris

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote  

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to the game, it'll be the first Major League game I've ever seen in person since I was three or something (too young to remember at any rate). So I'm real excited. I'll report back on the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Have fun, Salaris!

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I agree OMB, I can't wish the Yankees good luck, but have fun Salaris! Very Happy

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote  

Hey guys I'm back from Toronto. It was a great game, the seats were about 30 yards from behind home plate (but amazingly weren't super expensive, unlike the same seats in Yankee Stadium). Sorry Reep if you were rooting for the Blue Jays. A thing that really amazed me was the degree A-Rod got booed, and I could almost swear that he was booed by as many Yankee fans as Blue Jay fans. Details like the boos (and cheers) was really exciting for me because much of that is lost on the TV.

As far as the Dead Sea Scrolls went it was a great exhibit. Most of it was on the archaeology of the Dead Sea Scrolls and the city ruins that are right near the caves. Specifically it was about debates by archaeologists over whether the Dead Sea Scrolls were written at the city, brought by refugees or brought as part of a library collection. One real cool thing was a cheek plate from a Roman Legion helmet that was in remarkably good condition (it wasn't completely rusted over and was still pretty shiny for something that had been in the ground for several centuries).

They also had some of the actual scrolls on display. Most of them were bits of psalms and other related things with signs that had the translations and explanations of the context. Of the scrolls one that stood out was a scroll that was a deed describing the sale of some property. Just stood out to me because of its non-religious nature (though I suppose back then some religious ceremony could have accompanied sale of land to give it both legal and spiritual validity). There was also a small section on preservation of the scrolls.

There wasn't as much on the philosophical impacts of the scrolls for modern times. I didn't really mind the absence of that though since I was more interested in learning about the people who wrote (and read) the scrolls and the lives they led. Due to the age of everything in the exhibit photos were not allowed so I'm afraid I don't have any photos of the exhibit to show you guys.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

glad to see you back!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote  

thanks Autobon. I'm actually packing now to head back onto the road yet again though. Sorry my return has only lasted a few days.

I'm working with a professor of mine on his archaeological dig. Just doing preliminary testing for future work and I'll be back by Saturday (and after I get back I don't have any travel plans for several months). I hesitate to say exactly where the dig is since I'd hate to unintentionally inform looters of the site (assuming that it might come up on a google search). At any rate here's hoping there aren't many rainstorms this week.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, an archaeological dig, eh? I've always wanted to do something like that. Well have a great time! Sounds like fun. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nice. What ancient relics are you digging up?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:14 am Reply with quote  

*Looks at Saloris' avatar*

*speaks in Sallah voice* Indy? Is it you?

Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote  

Hey guys I'm back! Don't have any travel plans for October so short of the Nazis discovering Tanis before then I shouldn't be heading anywhere until October. The dig was great, and amazingly the weather held out despite continued rain forecasts.

Darth Skuldren wrote:
*Looks at Saloris' avatar*

*speaks in Sallah voice* Indy? Is it you?

Laughing

Funny you should mention that because I do frequently wear a brown fedora in real life (people have even whistled The Raider's March.as I walked by) Cool

As for relics we were digging up 18th century artifacts in New York. Mainly that means ceramics of various types (the description of which can literally make up an entire book). In case you are wondering main ways of distinguishing "types" of ceramics is the type of clay used (i.e. the clay used for a flower pot vs. porcelain), glaze, design type or any combination thereof.

The most interesting find though was a mid 20th century Boy Scout knife I found buried underneath the first 6 inches of soil. I'm convinced that with a good rust removing solution and a little sharpening of the blade and you would have a perfectly functioning pocket knife again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote  

Hey so I'll be gone until Monday. I'm going to an archaeology conference in Quebec (listening to papers, not giving them). Not sure if I'll have Internet while I'm there. But just in case I don't have Internet I wanted to let everyone know what happened.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Spaceport

Page 1 of 2