Karen Traviss Quits!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

SwordoftheJedi wrote:
Bill Thompson wrote:
[
Writing over continuity is never good, but in this case I have no sympathy for KT.

Except for the fact that Traviss really worked hard on a specific era and a certain group of characters (mandos, CLONES), and to have TCW just disregard is not very proffesional.

I'm not denying that, but other authors, specifically Abel Pena, worked just as hard on their material only to have KT decide what they did wasn't good enough and that she needed to make changes to established continuity. Like I said, in this situation I have no sympathy for KT.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
She changed the the previously existing character Spar, Mandalore the Resurrector, from an independent operator to a mere figurehead and tool for others.

Spar, if I recall, was a character used in one comic before Traviss got her hands on it. A Marvel one, that depicted the Mandos in TCW. I find that quite low on the mattering scale Wink

I also recall a bio from him in SW Insider. After all TCW series has done, changing a character slightly like that is really nothing.

I find it ironic that the same people who complain about the EU being so messed up at the same ones going along with the biggest mess up for it: TCW.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
I'm not denying that, but other authors, specifically Abel Pena, worked just as hard on their material only to have KT decide what they did wasn't good enough and that she needed to make changes to established continuity. Like I said, in this situation I have no sympathy for KT.

It's not as if she did it as a rogue; she was given the green lit but Lucasfilm

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So its not like she rewrote everything someone else did.

Last edited by SwordoftheJedi on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

SwordoftheJedi wrote:
Bill Thompson wrote:
[
Writing over continuity is never good, but in this case I have no sympathy for KT.

Except for the fact that Traviss really worked hard on a specific era and a certain group of characters (mandos, CLONES), and to have TCW just disregard is not very proffesional.

Traviss knew she was playing in another man's universe, but she tried to make Mandalorians entirely, entirely her own so she could milk SW for her own benefit.

Jango was never even officially Mandalorian until she came along (I believe). LFL let her play with her Mandalorian jolly armoured farmer superheroes, but it was a self-delusion of mutual benefit: both made money, and KT would never have been a #1 best-seller without SW. Her business (that how she thinks of everything she writes) has benefited, she moves on.

She was crazy, frankly, to mess with the Fetts and the armour at all. GL was always going to come back to them, as rumoured in the live-action stuff.

Yes, the CWAS has claimed a high profile victim; but for me it as been killing the EU slowly for a long time before that. Not just the CW continuity, but the universe - ryloth was the straw that broke my back.

Really, I wish they'd just hurry up and put the Lucas-made stuff and the rest of the EU in separate universes. Continuity is shot. Make it official and let more stories loose in the EU.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Traviss knew she was playing in another man's universe, but she tried to make Mandalorians entirely, entirely her own so she could milk SW for her own benefit.

Can you blame her for that? How many of us, given the chance, wouldn't want to take part of Star Wars that we are passionate about and play with it in our own novels? I would not deny the opportunity.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Son Of Skywalker wrote:
Quote:

It's not as if she did it as a rogue; she was given the green lit but Lucasfilm

Being given the green light does not justify a wrong action.

SwordoftheJedi wrote:
So its not like she rewrote everything someone else did.

Yes, she did. She completely rewrote sections of The History Of The Mandalorians article by Abel Pena, she completely rewrote the character of Spar, she changed the number of Clone Troopers in existence, she changed the Mandalorian culture so it clashed with existing continuity, and she rewrote Boba Fett so that his character had even more trouble staying within some sort of continuity.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I believe every author has changed continuity someway, somehow during their time as a Star Wars author. While some may have done it unintentionally, some have done it very much on purpose. And almost never before have those authors been railed against as much as Traviss has been condemned. Supposedly Reaves made a huge mistake with Street of Shadows and Patterns of the Force conerning continuity, and there hasn't been near the uproar with him. Actually, I haven't heard any uproar. People get aggravated with Zahn that he stays in his own little Star Wars world, but they leave him alone for the most part. I guess I'm just confused why there's been so much hate toward an author that just likes to stick to characters she has a passion for. While I believe continuity should be allowed to be changed in some cases, I don't think it should be utterly twisted and flipped from its original form unless there's a good reason. And who knows, perhaps Traviss was told to change the continuity there. Or at least she was allowed to do so. And in such a case, my problem is with the higher ups that allowed her to do it, not with her wanting to do so. The Clone Wars have changed much more than Traviss ever did, and it's not even getting as much flak. Neutral

So anyway, I guess I just don't understand the anti-Traviss sentiment. Or at least not the magnitude of it. It seems that people love her (or at least moderately like her) or really, really hate her. There's not really much, "Oh, I just don't care for her work." But anyway.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
I believe every author has changed continuity someway, somehow during their time as a Star Wars author. While some may have done it unintentionally, some have done it very much on purpose. And almost never before have those authors been railed against as much as Traviss has been condemned. Supposedly Reaves made a huge mistake with Street of Shadows and Patterns of the Force conerning continuity, and there hasn't been near the uproar with him. Actually, I haven't heard any uproar. People get aggravated with Zahn that he stays in his own little Star Wars world, but they leave him alone for the most part. I guess I'm just confused why there's been so much hate toward an author that just likes to stick to characters she has a passion for. While I believe continuity should be allowed to be changed in some cases, I don't think it should be utterly twisted and flipped from its original form unless there's a good reason. And who knows, perhaps Traviss was told to change the continuity there. Or at least she was allowed to do so. And in such a case, my problem is with the higher ups that allowed her to do it, not with her wanting to do so. The Clone Wars have changed much more than Traviss ever did, and it's not even getting as much flak. Neutral

It all gets flack from me. One of the reasons I'm not a big Karpyshyn fan is that he knowingly changed continuity and then joked about it afterwords. If it happens on accident I can understand, it sucks and it shouldn't have happened, but at least I understand. I don't view it the same way when authors change continuity because they want to, that's just unprofessional.

That being said, I am less harsh on TCW guys because from everything I have read they are not the ones affecting the continuity, it's Lucas. Theyw ant to work within continuity, but Lucas doesn't care and continues to maliciously override continuity,.

And before anyone comes back with the "It's Lucas' world he can do what he wants" argument, I don't believe that so you would simply be wasting your time.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

dunno wat all the fuss is abt....
hahah I never reaaly concentrated on who wrote wat....I remember reading Timothy Zahn...and Keven.J.Anderson(Jedi Apperentice Trilogy)...and yea i used to think of them as the best writers ever....

Other then that...Abt the mandos....sigh....KOTOR showed them in a different way...then wat KT showed.....And My mind was set on the Mando version portrayed by KOTOR...

As Far As Such mess ups are concerned.....TCW shudve shown a little more consideration...after all surprisingly....KT's version has been quite popular
Just Look at the Official Mando Thread....sigh..ppl luv them=/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Bill Thompson wrote:

It all gets flack from me. One of the reasons I'm not a big Karpyshyn fan is that he knowingly changed continuity and then joked about it afterwords. If it happens on accident I can understand, it sucks and it shouldn't have happened, but at least I understand. I don't view it the same way when authors change continuity because they want to, that's just unprofessional.

That being said, I am less harsh on TCW guys because from everything I have read they are not the ones affecting the continuity, it's Lucas. Theyw ant to work within continuity, but Lucas doesn't care and continues to maliciously override continuity,.

And before anyone comes back with the "It's Lucas' world he can do what he wants" argument, I don't believe that so you would simply be wasting your time.

Okay, well I can understand your stance, then. And I completely agree about Lucas. I don't think he should have the right to change things just because it's 'his universe'. While I suppose there's nothing we can do to stop him, I think he should be more considerate to the fans that got him where he is. Because without us, there would be no Star Wars franchise. It would have died a horrible death in the summer of '77. So yes, I think he should stop and look at the Universe he's created, and give thought to the millions of fans who adore it. Instead of changing it to what he likes, just because he can. So on that point, yes, I completely agree.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Bill Thompson wrote:
Luke_Skywalker wrote:
I have an idea for you Mrs Traviss! Maybe you could writing about the Mandos as they were prior to the Clone Wars. Then you wouldn't have the continuity problems! Very Happy

As long as she continues to write over the continuity established by other writers she will always have continuity problems.

But if she were to write about the Mando's during say.. the Sith Era (or some section near or prior to the Sequel Era) she would have less of a chance of ruining some other author's continuity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Bill Thompson wrote:
[Yes, she did. She completely rewrote sections of The History Of The Mandalorians article by Abel Pena,

Abel Pena must not have had a problem with it or he would have tried to stop her.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
But if she were to write about the Mando's during say.. the Sith Era (or some section near or prior to the Sequel Era) she would have less of a chance of ruining some other author's continuity.

I don't think she has it in her to do that. She just started writing for the Gears Of War franchise and one book ins he decided she didn't like some of what had been done before, so she made wholesale changes so that the universe would fit her vision.

SwordoftheJedi wrote:
Bill Thompson wrote:
[Yes, she did. She completely rewrote sections of The History Of The Mandalorians article by Abel Pena,

Abel Pena must not have had a problem with it or he would have tried to stop her.

How would he do that? He has no say over what the authors decide to write, he's not an editor or anything like that. He's a writer and sort of historian, but he has no pull when it comes to what other authors decide to do with his previous material.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Off Topic...but does Karen Reaaly write for Gears Of War Shocked
If so...im a FAN Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 7