Favorite Television Shows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm a big fan of Marvels: HaHa, You Expect Us To License Any Character You've Ever Heard Of For Less Than $100 million? Not Including Ones Played By Ben Affleck.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I'm a big fan of Marvels: HaHa, You Expect Us To License Any Character You've Ever Heard Of For Less Than $100 million? Not Including Ones Played By Ben Affleck.

I'm afraid I don't get the joke. They have a wide line of characters and stories to draw from, and are drawing from them effectively and well. Why would they license them out? Previous deals were all made before Marvel could easily make a movie or TV show (let alone ones that are really good). Now they can, and so they don't license things. Fair business.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The question is not why they wouldn't do it... I already said why. The question is would you watch a show about a superhero you've never heard of just because it has Marvel's name on it? and why should that be better than a show about another superhero you've never heard of, because they just made it up, that wasn't by Marvel?

Compare that to DC. Look at their shows: Superman, Supergirl, Flash, Green Arrow, and Gotham which features name brand Batman characters. And they were in the works for a Wonder Woman show. Those are all their most popular characters...yet that has not gotten in the way of Making Batman, Superman, and Justice League movies.

The biggest name attached to a Marvel show is Agent Phil Coulson....on Nick Fury's Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. without Nick Fury, or the Avengers.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
The question is not why they wouldn't do it... I already said why. The question is would you watch a show about a superhero you've never heard of just because it has Marvel's name on it? and why should that be better than a show about another superhero you've never heard of, because they just made it up, that wasn't by Marvel?

This isn't a question I can answer, because I have heard of them. And if I hadn't, I'd look it up. But I can say that, in this case, I knew of the character and her general premise, but had not read a single book where she was the main character. Same with the next two Marvel Netflix series.

But not having heard of the character should not be a barrier to enjoying it. Marvel is somewhat strange compared to DC because for DC, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman have been part of cultural memory forever. In the year 2000, if you're asked to name three superheroes, odds are those are the ones you're picking. Marvel had great readership, but if you asked a random person on the street to name Marvel heroes, they'll probably say Spider-Man and that's about it (kids in the 90s might also have said X-Men, and Incredible Hulk would've been known from the TV show). But Iron Man? Captain America? Thor (as a superhero, not a Norse god)? These were not in the cultural memory in the same way that Spider-Man or Batman were.

I've heard it said that the Iron Man movie in 2008 was a gamble, because the average person on the street had at best heard the name (and maybe also heard the song), but didn't know anything about him. Marvel had earned people's trust with the success of Iron Man, but Thor and Captain America weren't sure bets. And Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man were certainly gambles.

Marvel now has experience making media like movies and TV programs using the rich universes they own. And they can do some more experimental things like a gangster show with Daredevil or a noir crime drama with Jessica Jones. Or a space opera with Guardians of the Galaxy, or a heist movie with Ant-Man.

And the thing is, these things are working. They're making good shows, that get good reviews. That's an important part. People unfamiliar with Iron Man might've been drawn into the movie from the great trailer, or the casting, or the overwhelmingly positive reviews. I'm hoping the same can be said for Jessica Jones (its reviews have been positive, and I was certainly eager to see The Doctor as a supervillain).

So in conclusion, I don't think it matters that they're playing with characters that a lot of people don't know about. I think, in a way, they've been doing that since the beginning, and continue to do that in multiple media. And the stories they've been generating have been enjoyable and different.

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Compare that to DC. Look at their shows: Superman, Supergirl, Flash, Green Arrow, and Gotham which features name brand Batman characters. And they were in the works for a Wonder Woman show. Those are all their most popular characters...yet that has not gotten in the way of Making Batman, Superman, and Justice League movies.

I'm afraid I don't understand the point being made here. DC is making TV shows with their popular characters, and also movies with their popular characters. True enough, but they aren't a shared universe (Arrow and Flash are together, but Gotham stands alone, as does Supergirl; the movies are tied together, but not to the TV shows). I think there is value in putting in the effort to make a shared universe. I don't like how some characters will be played by two different people in two different ways at the same time, because they can't get their act together and make one consistent story.

Also, they are making movies with less well known characters and teams (we've all heard of Batman and Joker, but who the heck knows about the Suicide Squad? Or Cyborg?)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

To answer your first question: yes. While I haven't seen every recent Marvel product, those that I have, I have enjoyed - to various degrees, certainly, but all positive. For me, a Marvel logo slapped on the front does providee a fairly firm guaruntee that it'll be somewhat good.

For your second question: I'm not comfortable with your phrasing, with the 'should' specifically (admittedly 'should' raises my hackles whenever I hear it). That said: I see no reason why it should be better, necessarily, other than the fact that Marvel now has a lot of experience making such media. If a non-Marvel (and non DC, too) superhero show popped up that looked good, and was getting good early reviews, I'd give it a shot. For me, personally, it's not all that different from any other show, in any other genre.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

That awkward moment when I came online to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the winter finale of Agents of SHIELD and realize there was already somewhat of a discussion about it here. In the show, there have also been a couple of characters,
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
who have appeared in the comic books, yet no one knew that until later on. Agents of SHIELD, I think, was trying to connect to those audiences that thought the cinematic universe was all fine and dandy, but the comic books were what they really enjoyed. Marvel tried to combine them both, taking certain aspects from the comics
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
and they took it and ran with it. And I love it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

*Sits here, looking at those spoiler tags, knowing that the new series hasn't even started over here. Eye twitches*
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Anyone watch Making A Murderer? It was recommended by my True Crime friends, but it seems to be really popular among ugh, well, not weirdos. For some reason.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I haven't seen it, but I heard some coworkers discussing it. Do you recommend it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Um... It depends on what you are into. If you like True Crime. It features the highlights of an entire trial over several hours, which is something that you don't get to see very often, so that was interesting to me.

I'm not sure what the appeal is to most people, perhaps the controversial nature of it.

It's kind of cool from a documentary perspective because they set out to tell one story, and then as they were filming, a new story unfolded in real time that changed the focus and they followed it for like a ten year period.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Anyone watch Making A Murderer? It was recommended by my True Crime friends, but it seems to be really popular among ugh, well, not weirdos. For some reason.

I started it. It's not bad, kind of interesting for the first few episodes. I preferred The Jinx for that kind of thing but Making a Murderer is making a huge impact.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I finally started House of Cards (the US version). I'm only 9 episodes in, but this show is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

My wife got us binge watching The 100 on CW. It's pretty good, although kinda cheesy in some parts. It kept us hooked from episode to episode. Then, first episode for season 3 they had to throw in the obligatory homosexual sex scene. It came out of nowhere and wasn't needed. Plus it was out of character...unless they all of the sudden wanted the character to be bi-sexual. Either way, the scene itself was unnecessary. It didn't have to be shown. Same thing for any of the earlier sex scenes. They could have shown what was about to happen and then go to commercial or next scene.

On a different note, has anyone been watching The Expanse? If so, how does it compare to The 100? I heard Expanse was really good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote  

I've been enjoying Better Call Saul season two. Great characters.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I've been enjoying it also. I love that they brought back Ken for Jimmy's breaking bad moment. Laughing

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 77 of 80