Favorite Television Shows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 78, 79, 80  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I tried to watch Quantico, but the cast was too good looking. Shocked

Beard lovin' Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

With our new baby boy, my husband and I have been glued to the couch for the last two months. I have never been one to watch much TV, so I would say I have probably watched more TV in this recent period than the rest of my life combined. Exaggeration, but still.

So far my show of choice has been Law & Order. It seems I can find it on some channel any time of the day or night, without fail. It's a show I enjoy watching without worrying about missing something when Luke gets fussy or needs to eat or have a diaper changed. I'm not that invested in it, but I find it entertaining. One of my favorite games to play while watching the show is, "Spot the celebrity!" It seems every episode there's at least one random celebrity appearance. Most recently was an appearance by Adam Driver!

I suppose when a show and its offshoots run for 40+ years combined, you're bound to see familiar faces.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Just finished re-watching Avatar: The Last Airbender for the first time in 6 years. Wow, what a fantastic show. So many emotions! It's amazing what could be considered a kid's show is so incredibly powerful.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I recently got into an argument about whether the show/ movie was racist.

Hollywood Whitewashing is certainly a problem, but when it comes to an animated fantasy world I think that making it an racial analogy, as my debater argued, is a little ridiculous and maybe even more racist.

I said, "When did Asians ever have cultural relations with Inuit people? As you're supposing the Nations represent. They didn't, so how can it be a real world parallel? And what about Europeans and Native Americans? If the show is supposed to represent real races, why don't they exist in the world of Avatar? The creators just took inspiration from real cultures, but the show is not supposed to represent real ethnic or geographic depictions."
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote  

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

I recently got into an argument about whether the show/ movie was racist.

Hollywood Whitewashing is certainly a problem, but when it comes to an animated fantasy world I think that making it an racial analogy, as my debater argued, is a little ridiculous and maybe even more racist.

I said, "When did Asians ever have cultural relations with Inuit people? As you're supposing the Nations represent. They didn't, so how can it be a real world parallel? And what about Europeans and Native Americans? If the show is supposed to represent real races, why don't they exist in the world of Avatar? The creators just took inspiration from real cultures, but the show is not supposed to represent real ethnic or geographic depictions."

I may be mistaken but I seem to recall hearing that some recent studies by Biological Anthropologists found genetic similarities between the Inuit of Alaska and the peoples living on the northern islands of Japan. I might be mistaken though.

As for me I just finished watching Legends of Tomorrow. A spin off show from the Arrow TV show. Overall I really liked it and it's worth looking into for people who like both time travel and super heroes.

For Doctor Who fans the guy who plays Rory is in it and he wears a brown duster. I couldn't help smile at the costume choice of a former Doctor Who cast member wearing a long brown coat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Mara: Avatar: The Last Airbender is still my favourite show of all time. Each season got progressively better than the last and Season Three was glorious. It's also one of the few shows that I've seen that had a beginning, middle, and end and didn't drag things out until cancellation. Yes we had Legend of Korra, but that was a generation later and was essentially its own thing.

@Salaris: That's very possible because it's most likely that the "natives" of the Americas migrated via a former ice bridge that connected Siberia and Alaska, making Asians their closest relatives in the Old World.

Source: https://ows.edb.utexas.edu/site/hight-kreitman/land-bridge-theory

Though, as Dog brought up, all of this is completely irrelevant for a fantasy world. Razz

I always did wonder, though, if the Avatar world was meant to be an older version of our world or something, similar to what Tolkien did with Middle Earth. The map does have something of a resemblance to earth.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's funny because I just by coincidence saw a documentary on this. Native Americans are descended from a mixed group of Eastern Europeans and Asians that crossed together, giving them a unique genetic sequence found in everyone in the Americas, but not in anyone else on Eurasia. Now they may be related to Japanese people, that I'm not sure about, but that would be a new discovery and would still be divergent from mainland people.

Of course the Pan Asian cultures on Avatar were never really all that analogous anyway. Not to mention that the planet does not look at all like Earth. It doesn't even look like Pangea. I'm not sure what the earlier super continents looked like, but it appears to have much less land mass than Earth does, so if it was Earth it would most likely be in the future, not the past.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

@Salaris, you mean the actor that plays Rip Hunter in Legends of Tomorrow, not Mick Rory. Rip Hunter, who is a time master and wears a long tan jacket, is played by an actor that was on Doctor Who. The actor that plays Mick Rory (as well as the one that plays Captain Cold, Leonard Snart) is also on the show Prison Break. Ironically, they are brothers on Prison Break and best friends on Legends (and previously on The Flash). Yes, I too watch Legends of Tomorrow...as well as Arrow, The Flash, and Gotham. I also watched Supergirl until they changed the focus of the show to homosexual relationships.

About The Flash, no spoilers, but from the preview of the next show...IT'S FINALLY RED!!!!! Those that watch the show will know what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote  

Skywalker2B wrote:
@Salaris, you mean the actor that plays Rip Hunter in Legends of Tomorrow, not Mick Rory. Rip Hunter, who is a time master and wears a long tan jacket, is played by an actor that was on Doctor Who. The actor that plays Mick Rory (as well as the one that plays Captain Cold, Leonard Snart) is also on the show Prison Break. Ironically, they are brothers on Prison Break and best friends on Legends (and previously on The Flash). Yes, I too watch Legends of Tomorrow...as well as Arrow, The Flash, and Gotham. I also watched Supergirl until they changed the focus of the show to homosexual relationships.

About The Flash, no spoilers, but from the preview of the next show...IT'S FINALLY RED!!!!! Those that watch the show will know what I'm talking about.

yes that's right the actor who plays Rip. Clearly there's only one character named Rory to me Wink Probably two of my favorite companions of the Doctor, if only they'd been the 10th Doctor's companions things would be perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote  

I recently watched the BBC miniseries "Our World War" on Netflix. For those who haven't seen it the concept is similar to HBO's Band of Brothers and The Pacific miniseries. Our World War uses primary source material (diaries, letters etc.) of British soldiers who fought in WWI as the bases of 3 episodes spanning major points in the war.

Here's my assessment. Overall it is an interesting watch, especially if you're interested in things like memorialization. At the very least you'll find it interesting to see how the BBC chose to portray the war and the soldiers who fought it.

I was not keen on the score for the show however. They opted to have rock and roll songs as the overall musical theme/style for the show. Now I'm not saying they should've used period songs as that would've been cliche' and, IMO, not particularly good as a soundtrack choice. I did feel though that the music often failed to convey the emotion of the scene or, at times, made it feel more like a cutscene from an FPS than a TV drama. It felt very black and white and not able to capture the nuances of the scene. I'd contrast it with the scores from The Pacific where the music isn't intrusive and is able to convey heroism, tragedy, or very moving combinations of both (among other things of course). Still 2/3 episodes were good enough to ignore that fault while watching them.

As for the episodes:
The first episode I think is the strongest and would've been a great pilot episode for a Band of Brothers style series that follows a specific unit through their entire service in the war. It's well worth the watch.

I especially liked the choice of birds eye views and satellite thermal images views often used in modern war and spy films. It wasn't accurate to what resources were available at the time but it was innovatively used to give the viewer a better sense of the battle's progression.

While the characters aren't established with flashbacks to their pre-war lives it does a good job in setting up how the characters feel about each other as members of the same unit. The episode really left me wishing that they'd had a follow up episode on what happened to the unit immediately after the battle portrayed in the episode. I would have loved a larger series that followed those specific characters through the war.

The second episode is, IMO, the weakest. It deals with the Battle of the Somme and the issues of soldiers being shot for desertion and cowardice. Ambitious but I felt it fell short of the mark on a number of levels.

First and foremost the cast of characters are totally different from the first episode and I didn't feel that there was enough time in the episode to develop them to the point where you care about the character and can sympathize with the ethical dilemma they're going through. I'd contrast this with The Pacific where, by the time you reach the episodes dealing with the psychological toll of war, you've already watched several episodes, gotten to know the characters, and importantly gotten to see how war has begun to impact them. This episode tries to cram all that character development into maybe 30-40 minutes of flashbacks which I don't think was sufficient time. I also felt the main character we're meant to sympathize with was unlikable (to me anyway) making sympathy that much harder.

Second, the character accused of desertion only has about 5-10 minutes of screen time without any background. So effectively they're a Red Shirt where you have no personal reason to want the character to live. Adding to the problem is the episode never clearly establishes that the character is innocent of the charge of desertion. My assumption was that they were trying to convey in the episode that the character was suffering shell shock but I don't think the episode ever established this clearly. In all honesty when it's revealed that that character is the one standing accused my response was "that doesn't surprise me, it did kinda seem like he was deserting now that I think of it" which is the opposite of what the episode should want me to think with that reveal given the dialogue leading up to that point.

Third, minor by comparison but still a fault was the costuming choice. One of the characters has some distinct modifications to their army issue equipment that makes them immediately noticeable. However, they're not the main character and there's no clear reason (such as rank or role in the squad) why the equipment has been modified to be so distinct. It may have been historically accurate (photos of the person the character was based on may have had such modifications) but I felt it largely served as a distraction as the viewer tried to figure out why their attention was being so visually drawn to this character.

Fourth, this episode the rock and roll music selection really hurt the episode. It either felt like an FPS cutscene or robbed the visuals of their emotional gravity by invoking emotions in stark contrast to what the visuals/script were trying to convey.

The final episode was okay. It's basically Fury: WWI Edition. It wasn't a bad episode but it didn't really do anything that Fury hasn't already done. My main criticism is that they have a number of scenes where characters start hallucinating due to carbon monoxide poisoning but it's not until halfway through the episode that a character actually states that the tank has a poor exhaust system. So for half the episode it's unclear why a character is hallucinating and whether it's because of psychological stress, pre-war mental illness, or toxic fumes.

My overall recommendation would be to watch the first episode, third one too if you're curious about tanks in WWI. I'd skip the 2nd episode unless the subject matter is of intellectual interest to you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

My husband and I just finished watching the Parks and Recreation series. We really enjoyed it! It took us a couple false starts before we were able to get into it, but we really ended up loving it. My husband is basically Ron Swanson. Besides not looking anything alike, they are the same person. So that definitely added an amusing dynamic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not the biggest Rob Lowe fan, but he's great on that show and I think that when he joined was when it really hit it's stride, and also when it declined after he left.

I just binged Mindhunter. I think the show is not really meant for people who are very familiar with the subject matter, because a lot of people didn't get it. Like they don't know who the dude they keep showing at the beginning is. I don't think that it's meant to be a mystery, but people had some crazy theories.

I won't spoil anything, but if you didn't catch it, the show itself gives the information as to who he is and how he connects to the main story, it just gives it as clues and background information.

People also complained that the couple had no chemistry....that was the point! They are both going against their own inclinations in order to have what they think is a normal relationship. The major theme of the show is given in a psychology lecture about how people's behavior is a performance designed to conform to what they think everyone else believes is "normal." This applies to all of the characters on the show, and is the thing that connects the real normal people with the psychotic killers, and allows them to understand the mind of the killers.

Also
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

After watching the show I looked in my library and was amused to see that I actually have Mindhunter the book in my collection, but I had forgotten.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just came back from a work trip abroad, and the country I visited had Star Trek: Discovery on Netflix. I binged it in my hotel room after work, and it was fantastic.

I love the darker take on Star Trek, with complicated, broken characters. In particular, I loved the character played by Anthony Rapp (whom I often refer to as "the extremely handsome guy from Rent"), the inventor annoyed that his inventions are being used for war, but is pressured into developing them anyway (and is, on top of that, TV Star Trek's first canonically gay character).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I just binged Mindhunter. I think the show is not really meant for people who are very familiar with the subject matter, because a lot of people didn't get it. Like they don't know who the dude they keep showing at the beginning is. I don't think that it's meant to be a mystery, but people had some crazy theories.

We binge watched the show when it was first released. Really enjoyed it! I am one who was not familiar with the subject matter. While I understood the mystery man was supposed to be recognizable, I didn't know who he was.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I watched Season 1 of Stranger Things. I'm not sure if it lives up to the hype, but I quite enjoyed it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 79 of 80