Good thing of the day!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191, 192  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just added the latest piece to my beautiful collection:

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dang Reep, you went hard today.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, I only bought Rogue One yesterday lol

I bought those VHS tapes of the OT in 2005 and have gradually been building ever since. The only thing I still need is the Lost Missions. Smile

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote  

I don't see the Ewok movies in that collection Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've become a parent! My wife gave birth to a girl, whom we named Marilla, five weeks ago. She's great and I'm immensely happy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I've become a parent! My wife gave birth to a girl, whom we named Marilla, five weeks ago. She's great and I'm immensely happy.

Congrats! That's amazing, I'm so happy for you! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote  

Congratulations, Taral!

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Congratulations, Taral! That's fantastic! My husband and I had our first child in January, and he has been an absolute wonder. Parenthood, while difficult, is such an amazing thing to experience. The way your heart just melts when they smile at you? Priceless.

Speaking of our little guy, our lives have changed just a bit. Spending three months on maternity leave with my son, I decided I did not want to go back to work. At least I did not want to leave him and go into the office every day. Thankfully, I am in a profession that allows for remote work. I talked to my then current employer about working remotely, but despite having several remote developers around the country, they denied my request. Hence...I went looking elsewhere.

I am very happy to say I've found a 100% remote job with better pay, better benefits and more vacation. I could not be happier! I am so very grateful for the opportunity to stay home with Luke.

DIsclaimer: I am under no delusions that I can both watch Luke by myself and work. But my husband is self-employed, and we've found we are at a point in life where he can dial back his work enough that he can stay home most days. So we've become a dynamic at home duo of parenting awesomeness! [With the occasional new parent meltdown, I'm just being honest.] I am so happy that all of this has worked out so wonderfully! So that's my good thing for the year, really. Very Happy

Last edited by Mara Jade Skywalker on Mon May 08, 2017 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Congratulations, Taral! That's fantastic! My husband and I had our first child in January, and he has been an absolute wonder. Parenthood, while difficult, is such an amazing thing to experience. The way your heart just melts when they smile at you? Priceless.

Speaking of our little guy, our lives have changed just a bit. Spending three months on maternity leave with my son, I decided I did not want to go back to work. At least I did not want to leave him and go into the office every day. Thankfully, I am in a profession that allows for remote work. I talked to my then current employer about working remotely, but despite having several remote developers around the country, they denied my request. Hence...I went looking elsewhere.

I am very happy to say I've found a 100% remote job with better pay, cheaper benefits and more vacation. I could not be happier! I am so very grateful for the opportunity to stay home with Luke.

DIsclaimer: I am under no delusions that I can both watch Luke by myself and work. But my husband is self-employed, and we've found we are at a point in life where he can dial back his work enough that he can stay home most days. So we've become a dynamic at home duo of parenting awesomeness! [With the occasional new parent meltdown, I'm just being honest.] I am so happy that all of this has worked out so wonderfully! So that's my good thing for the year, really. Very Happy

Congrats Mara!

We're in Canada, so we benefit from a full year of parental leave. The rule is 17 weeks that the mother must take, and a further 35 weeks that either parent can take (all for dad, all for mom, or split in any amount). All of that gets paid by Employment Insurance (a good fraction of your salary), and some employers will "top up" to a good 90+% of your salary.

My wife is taking the entire year, and may indeed only go back part-time when she's done. I'm taking tons of vacation time (I had 10+ weeks banked, so used 3.5 at birth, and will take more later). It sucks being away from her, but I get her a lot in the evenings.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Taral-DLOS wrote:
We're in Canada, so we benefit from a full year of parental leave.

Wow! That is fantastic. It really amazes me that the United States standard is only 6 weeks. That is WAY too early for a mother to go back to work. For the 12 weeks I did take, none of it was paid. I was only able to get a supplemental income (60% of my salary) via short term disability that I had paid into. So really it was my money anyway. But that only covers 6 weeks, since that is the standard. Horrible.

Time to move to Canada! Very Happy

Addendum: For any of you looking to become parents in the United States, the situation surrounding maternity leave is disappointing at best. As stated, our standard is six weeks, but that's six weeks unpaid. Your employer may choose to pay you, but most won't. So be prepared to live on no income for six weeks, OR pay into a short term disability that is only going to cover 60% of your salary. But it's better than nothing.

Now, if you work for a qualifying company (it has to be a certain size and profession...I don't know all the details), you are allowed by law to take up to twelve weeks, which is what I did. But again that's unpaid. So again be prepared to have no income.

All of this is horrible. Now that I've just experienced it (and experienced the best possible combination of options we have here), it's horrible.

1. No mother is ready to go back to work at six weeks. Your body has only just finished recovering physically, and mentally you probably aren't there yet.

2. You have a new child in your life, things have drastically changed, but you're expected to pack up and head back to work like nothing happened.

3. Chances are, unless you have a miracle baby, your child isn't sleeping at night yet. I don't even mean sleeping through the night, I mean sleeping at all. So now you have to go back to work with absolutely no sleep. That's great for you and your employer.

4. Now how about sticking your kid in daycare? At six weeks old?! They are far too young for such an experience. But so many Americans have to do it simply because of finances.

5. And finally, what about just spending time with your child? I guess that isn't important.

So anyway...I'm not complaining about my own experience, it was the best it could be given our current maternity allowances. But it's so much worse for so many others. And this is all concerning maternity leave! There's almost no paternity leave to speak about. Fathers should get to spend time with their new child just as much as the mother. It's a sad situation. In my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yay Canada!

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Had a fantastic 1st Mother's Day with this handsome boy! Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

"Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold."

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ok that onesie is just all sorts of awesomeness!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just got rid of my cellphone. I feel strangely liberated.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 190 of 192