Geocaching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geocaching
 PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Alright, Cantina people. It is time to talk about my new favorite hobby: Geocaching!

Has anyone heard of this? For those of you who do not know what it is, it is a global hobby. People all over the world hide caches, some sort of container with a log inside, and people try to find them. When you find one, you sign the log and record your find. Then you celebrate and move on to the next!

There are over 2,000,000 caches hidden worldwide. Most caches that I have found are tiny, or micro caches, and only contain a log to sign. But some can be bigger and contain trinkets. You can only take a trinket if you replace it with another trinket.

So how do you find them? Each cache that is hidden is logged online at geocaching.com with coordinates for its approximate location. You use an app on your phone (I use c:geo) to track the coordinates. However, then you still have to find it. And some can be pretty tough! Each cache is recorded with a difficulty rating and a terrain rating. Say you have to go scuba diving or spelunking to find a cache, then the terrain would be rated at a higher level. But say a cache is camouflaged in a rock amongst a pile of rocks. Then the difficulty would be rated higher. The rating is out of 5.

What is the point, you may ask. Well...it's just fun! It's like a global scavenger hunt. And you would be surprised how many are probably hidden in your immediate area!

So far I have found 36, and I hope to find many more! Check out the link below if you are interested. I will post some pictures later. Smile

GeoCaching

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Last edited by Mara Jade Skywalker on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Interesting. I'll have to try it some time.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I often take pictures/videos when I find a cache, and I've recently decided to create a blog chronicling my caching exploits. You can check below for the road so far!

I don't believe any of you live in New Orleans, so it shouldn't be too spoilerific!

http://cachetwentytwo.tumblr.com

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've heard of it, but it removes my favorite part of scavenger hunts - the riddles and clues to the next location.

And I love the name of your Tumblr, Mara, very clever! Very Happy

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you, GrandMaster! I gave it great thought. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've never done geocaching, but I have done two Urban Quests, which are essentially scavenger hunts and puzzles in various cities.

http://www.urbanquest.com/

You buy the quest, which gives you a starting location and a list of questions. You need to find specific things, which contain information that answers questions that lead you to the next clue. For example, one I did involves (as one of the questions) a quest through a park that had a bunch of war memorial statues, each containing a number. You plugged the numbers asked for into an equation, and then you go to the street corner that has one of those maps of the local downtown that has numbers on it, and you go to the site whose number corresponds with the answer of the math question. That brings you to some more statues, etc. etc. etc.

Another quest brought me to a Walk of Fame, where you had to put celebrities' names into a crossword puzzle, and the final answer of the game was spelled out from those names.

In the end, you enter a Final Answer into a website (using your smartphone) and it says "you win!" and it tells you that it made a reservation for you at a restaurant close by (you pick the style of food and the price range, but the restaurant is a surprise). You buy your own food, but it's still a fun chance to try a new place out.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^That sounds more like my kind of thing. Unfortunately, the closest location is in Chicago, which isn't really all that close.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
^That sounds more like my kind of thing. Unfortunately, the closest location is in Chicago, which isn't really all that close.

But mayhap one day you'll visit Chicago (perhaps on vacation) and you can do it. It would be a cool way to explore a new city.

I did one in my hometown, and another while visiting another city on vacation. Both were fun!

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Actually, geocaching does incorporate versions like that. They are called multicaches. Just like what Taral was describing, you follow from one clue to the next until you finally come upon the prize. I have not done one like that yet, but there are a couple in my area.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1