Fate of the Jedi 7: Conviction by Aaron Allston
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote  

@DarthSanith: I loved the Han dialog, Allston was on his A-game with it. Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Past the halfway mark, a few more thoughts.

This is already one of the best novels Allston has released since Enemy Lines. The dialog gets better as the story goes on, it's thoroughly entertaining, the characterization of Luke, Leia, and Han feels right for the first time in this series, and most importantly, Conviction is fun. I could say that Backlash was also a bit of fun, but I haven't found myself smiling over a post RotJ novel like this since some point in the NJO.

One of the biggest issues I've had with novels over the last six or seven years is that it feels like the tone of these books has strayed from the source materials a bit too much, and by that I obviously mean the films. I'm only at the 210 page mark, but already Conviction seems to hearken back to the movies, providing a sense of adventure and grandeur that isn't overly weighted down by the gritty, dark realism that we've seen since Dark Nest.

Conviction has me hopeful for the future. It's clear that Allston still has it, the spark that made his Wraith novels, Starfighters of Adumar, and Enemy Lines so compelling and enjoyable. Perhaps he's been held down by the collective planning and direction provided by Troy Denning and the Del Rey brass, but for the first time since LotF the lingering concerns I've had about Allston perhaps losing his touch has completely vanished.

FotJ is a flawed series, to be certain, but Conviction shows that this era has hope. I, for one, am excited to see where Del Rey's return to the Bantam style publishing format of single-author novels, duologies, and trilogies takes us.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Finished this last night.

I really enjoyed the book!

Planet of Twilight was one of my least favourite books, but this follow-up to it is really cool.

I have no specific thoughts, just that I enjoyed it.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote  

I completely agree with you Lane. Conviction was really fun to read, and it was refreshing.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I just finished it last night also Smile. It was a great book i agree and i liked the humor that was added in it ever once and a while Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

And, finally finished. A part of me is bummed because I know this book is going to get slagged for merely being associated with Fate of the Jedi. I hope people can look at Conviction in a vacuum, because this was one of the most enjoyable EU novels we've had since NJO ended.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote  

It will be odd leaping into Ascension next though, because I doubt that book will have the same fun vibe this one had. However, it will be neat reading about the Lost Tribe's High Sith Lord or whatever he's called.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I loved it for me the second best book of FOTJ so for.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I will add more tomorrow its getting late here

Two is enough because the adults are wrong, and their younglings are right.

Though this is the end of the age of heroes, it has saved its best for last.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Greyknight wrote:
I loved it for me the second best book of FOTJ so for.

I will add more tomorrow its getting late here
i agree,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Greyknight wrote:

That was hilarious! I literally laughed out loud, myself. Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I really need to find a copy and read it. I'm missing out!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I finished a couple weeks ago. Here's entirely too many words about my thoughts on Conviction

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

LaneWinree wrote:
For those of you still keeping score on the Jaina Solo Love Polygon of Doom...

Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finally finished it! Just wanted to say I enjoyed it, very much so. Now, to go back through the pages and read all the spoiler tags that mocked me for all that time...
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Okay. Let's see...

I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 20 of 22