Episode IX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Episode IX
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I figured we may as well have a thread for Episode IX.

So what do you guys think of Colin Trevorrow leaving Episode IX? I'm kind of happy about it personally. I haven't actually seen anything he's directed, but just based on what others have said, it seems like a good thing. Now the question is who will take his place. Neither of these choices are likely to happen, but I would like either Gareth Edwards or George Lucas return to direct Episode IX. The latter may be unpopular, but I actually like him as a film-maker and he won't have the free reign he had with the Prequels under Disney.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:39 am Reply with quote  

I don't have strong feelings about Trevorrow leaving. His directing the movie never bothered me. The only issue I had was him writing it. I was hoping Rian Johnson would be writing both Episode 8 and 9. Seeing that Trevorrow is out now, I'd like to see Rian take over and do 9. While none of us have seen 8 yet, I think it would be good continuity wise.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Episode IX will be directed by either Brett Ratner or McG. Which would you prefer?
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh please, it's very obviously going to be Alex Kurtzman.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I was hoping Rian Johnson would be writing both Episode 8 and 9. Seeing that Trevorrow is out now, I'd like to see Rian take over and do 9. While none of us have seen 8 yet, I think it would be good continuity wise.

That's a good point. It's hard to tell how much control each director has over the direction of the story, but I think that having some kind of unified vision is important... and I would rather have that vision come from creative people like directors and writers than business executives.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'll wait until Episode VIII is out before making an opinion about whether Rian Johnson should direct Episode IX.

Rian Johnson has directed two movies that I've seen: one absolutely amazing (Brick), and one that is the biggest piece of trash I've ever sat through (Looper).

So while the trailer looks good, and I'm confident that it can't get too crazy given the role of the studio executives and Kathleen Kennedy, I won't give him a blessing to proceed with Episode IX "for the sake of continuity" until I've seen The Last Jedi.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

And so J. J. Abrams will direct Episode IX.

I'm disappointed. TFA was totally lacking in any kind of artistic vision in my opinion, so this decision does not make me feel good about the future of Star Wars at all.

KRIFF!!! Mad

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

^^^^^ Yes, I agree. RotJ Redux here we come. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I disagree. I think it'll be fun.

And realistically, was there any chance any director wasn't going to give us something like "ROTJ redux"? It will almost certainly need to hit some similar beats. Kylo Ren's redemption, Rey's ascension, Snoke's defeat, etc.

Only if they announce further films, wherein we can expect further conflict against the First Order beyond Episode IX, should we assume anything but.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Taral-DLOS wrote:
It will almost certainly need to hit some similar beats. Kylo Ren's redemption, Rey's ascension, Snoke's defeat, etc.

That's so boring, though. I'm sorry, but it is. Just assuming we have to follow the same trilogy formula every time because there is no other choice...just my opinion, but it seems lazy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

To be honest I don't really think Episode IX will be a RotJ clone. Disney/Lucasfilm deemed a safe, retro movie necessary to get people back on board after the fallout over the Prequels. Times have changed. People are largely back on board and so I don't think Disney/Lucasfilm think we need a second RotJ as they thought we needed a second ANH.

What I am concerned about is that Episode IX will be another soulless Star Wars movie. When I watched TFA, I could just feel how carefully planned out it was to make the maximum profit. I'm also concerned that the creators of TFA (I'm not sure how much creative influence J. J. Abrams actually had - or if he just took a ready-made script and filmed it) had so little respect for the overall narrative and the forward momentum of Star Wars e.g. the destruction of the Jedi and the Republic... again. This isn't the creative team that I want to close out this trilogy. Confused

Rogue One had the soul that TFA lacked. It felt like an actual Star Wars movie. I suspect the fact that the idea for Rogue One sprang from a place of genuine inspiration had a lot to do with it. I haven't seen any evidence that TFA had any inspiration beyond profit.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I totally agree with you Reep. I was a TFA hater and I don't expect Ep. IX to be any different...

But I guess the issue I have is why did/are people expecting Ep. VIII to be different? It might not 100% match up to Abrams' aesthetic, but that set the tone for the series and they will want to keep it consistent, so no matter what it won't be a huge change.

Everything else is going to be the same, and that's not really on Abrams. It was just convenient to blame him for everything bad.

Also I don't get the hate for ROTJ. I think this is a relatively recent phenomenon. I think it was only after the PT where lingering resentment started creeping in and poisoning the OT.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 1