Quote or Question for the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Do y'all have any regrets?

Looking back I wish I would have been more serious about animation when I was younger. I used to have the dream of being an animator, but I never really took the initiative. Now I'm headed in a completely different direction and following that dream at this late stage would mean a dramatic shifting of gears.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

"Well paint me blue and call me Chiss."

-Admiral Revald
Hoth Outpost Zerek
Star Wars: The Old Republic

I don't know how many times I've heard that line while playing this game, but today it just struck me as hilarious. I might start using it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote  

I like that.

Question for all: what is the one thing you waste most of your money on? (and by waste, I mean disposable income, not things you have to have or bills you have to pay)

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Honestly my film collection. I like having physical media and I especially love behind the scenes stuff, interviews, commentary about shooting and writing (Aronofsky's guerrilla commentary for The Fountain is so great), and I just love it as a storytelling medium. So twice a year I go nuts at the Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% off sale, once a year at Halloween I up my horror movie stock, and I always love rooting through the $5 bin to see what's there (found Pan's Labyrinth in there once, it's not all bad).

So I waste too much of my extra money on that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Currently, I don't have enough of it to waste it. Wink

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote  

@Caedus: ha, I was rooting in the cheap dvd bins at Walmart while waiting in line on Force Friday. Picked up Spaceballs and Road House. Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Skuls: You hit a jackpot, that's awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

When did it become cool to be a geek?

I should say right off the bat that I don't mind this phenomenon. Some people on the internet seem to be bitter about it, but that seems silly and pretentious to me. I actually think it's kind of awesome how you can have a conversation about Star Wars with so many people now. I am genuinely curious about this shift though. When did it happen? What made it happen? It certainly isn't something I would have predicted back in high school. I remember my teenage self feeling slightly self conscious whenever I carried around a Star Wars book or wore a Star Wars t-shirt. Now it's common. Now there are entire stores in malls dedicated to geek culture.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The origins of fandom/sub/pop culture date back to the Romantics. But moving ahead a little bit, the seed for "Geek Culture" came about after the second World War when the avant garde, as an antagonism against popular culture, was defeated by the new Cybernetic system.

Under Cybernetics, popular culture become absorbed under the total Commodification of society. Everything is now Marketable, because we ARE the Market. There is no longer the relationship between labor and production as under old Capitalism.

The apex of Cybernetics of course is the Internet. It's Everything for Everyone. Media, Culture, and Identity are homogenized into one. There is no longer a popular culture, there is endless }illusion of} choice without antagonism.

Until the Singularity renders Humanity obsolete in the near future.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote  

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I like that.

Question for all: what is the one thing you waste most of your money on? (and by waste, I mean disposable income, not things you have to have or bills you have to pay)

fancy tea or supplies for baking pastries (not only do I find baking meditative but it's also much cheaper than buying pastries). My girlfriend reaps a great deal of benefit from my latter pass time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've spent way too much $ on SW tabletop games such as X-Wing miniatures and Destiny.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 28 of 28