What should I do about DVD collection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
What should I do about DVD collection?
 PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I posted this in Amazon Customer Discussion, but I thought I'd post it here too, see what you guys think.

I went through my entire DVD collection yesterday, inspecting discs, and I noticed that quite a few had bad cracks.

I would say that the majority of my collection I've had five years or more, and the rest less than five years. Well aware that DVDS are prone to wear and tear just like anything else, but still surprised at how many discs I found were cracked.

The majority of my cracked discs are in my TV collection. Two most prominent examples are the 3rd disc of Merlin Season 2. I knew for a while that there was a crack in it, but said crack has really gotten bad now.

Second example is in Downton Abbey Season 3 set, which I've had for only 2 years. I have not watched DA in months, so I was shocked to discover a large crack in the last disc, especially as Mom watched the entire set just a few months ago and it worked fine then.

Also, in my season sets of Xena: Warrior Princess (the older Anchor Bay DVD sets released before 2010), the stacked disc format has caused a few to start cracking from difficulty trying to remove them, no matter how gentle I try to be.

I would have to replace all these DVD sets, but it's really going to suck up my money, especially for the TV seasons, since they are so darn expensive. Plus, there's new and older DVDs that I still don't have and want to buy.

At this point, I'm seriously contemplating just paying for Amazon Prime and streaming all of the movies/TV episodes on my PC so I won't have to worry about cracking DVDs anymore. The problem with that is: Dad and Mom often watch a lot of my stuff in their DVD player, so if I go Prime only they wouldn't be able to do so.

Tl, dr: DVD collection starting to degrade, considering Amazon Prime instead of buying expensive replacements, but Dad and Mom watch a lot of my collection too. What should I do?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You could always sign up for Amazon Prime for right now and then replace the DVDs whenever you can afford it. I like having physical copies of things and there are bunch of VHS tapes I've been meaning to replace with DVDs, but with school and stuff it isn't a priority right now, so I just keep my eye open at second hand stores and gradually replace them as I find them.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote  

Huh, that's odd. I've never had a DVD crack on me. Where are you storing them? Are they getting exposed to sunlight or a heating vent?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If you live in the Uk it is legal to make a copy of DVDs you legally own for your own personal use.

In the US, the law is grey. It is has not formally been ruled on whether it is legal or illegal.

Unfortunately if the discs themselves are damaged to the point where they can't be copied, then there isn't anything you can legally do, since it is still illegal to download a DVD from a file sharing site, even if you legally own a copy, since the file sharing itself is illegal.

Does anyone know if you can use Amazon Prime on Roku, or Apple TV, or any other streaming TV device besides Amazon TV? That would be your best bet, so your parents could still watch the movies on their TV.
Unsure whether it was desire or despair that kept me drawing breath. When all my dreams came down to nothing, left me just another piece of meat. For you I carried my life on in my teeth. Through betrayed years and bloody tears, and pits where you can only crawl. Poor Grendel's had an accident... So may you all.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skuldren, no. Part of my collection is stored on a bookshelf and the rest in a window seat. No exposure to sunlight or vents at all.

I think the main problem is that the center spindle in some of the cases is so tight that it's a pain to get a DVD out, no matter how gentle I try to be. In fact, one of the discs in Season 5 of Xena was just a pain to get off the spindle and is cracked so bad that I removed it from the case entirely and put it in a jewel case instead. The Anchor Bay releases of Seasons 4 through 6 and the first three seasons of Merlin also have the 'partial stacked' disc packaging where the discs overlap in the case, which I loathe.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:03 am Reply with quote  

Now you have me paranoid. I've got a huge dvd movie collection. Resists urge to open and check them all...

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1