Leia Organa Solo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia Organa Solo
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Question? Does anyone else think Leia was a bad mom? I think she was for various reasons...how bout you guys?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I think she abandoned her kids too much. I hate the book Crystal Star, but things like that.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, she was never really there for them. She should've tried harder to get Jacen back from the dark, no matter how inevitable that was. I mean, thats her SON. Would'nt she be able to tell that he was showing signs of darkness? Or is she living in her own blissful world? ( Not a Leia hater, I'm just sayin)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

As an EU character, Leia hasn't always been the best. In the Bantam years, she came across as caring more about the New Republic than her own family. She finally started getting cool again in the NJO, but by then it was a little late to salvage her relationship with her kids. It was so sad for that while when she and Jaina weren't really speaking. And I think that I can safely say that everybody's cluelessness while Jacen was going dark was ridiculous.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote  

Leia was a fine parent. Jacen's fault was a case of empowered author's gone mad. His fall was in now way a fault of his parents, nor was his lack of redemption. They MADE it impossible for Leia and Han to save their son. It was no fault of theirs'.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, I know. I don't blame them one bit for Jacen's fall. I just think they could have been around a little more when the kids were young, that's all.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Oh, I know. I don't blame them one bit for Jacen's fall. I just think they could have been around a little more when the kids were young, that's all.

I have not read much of the books from when the Solo's were young, but wasn't Leia a big target for violence during that time? I thought that had a lot to do with leaving her children behind - which makes sense. I think Leia's heart was always in the right place, her intentions seem to be solid too. Whatever mistakes she made could happen to any parent. I think.

I totally agree spending time with your children is very important overall. However to further complicate things - sometimes being around just is not enough. You have to get involved and be close to them. When my wife got pregnant I was reading a book that said goto every appointment - get involved early - that way you start off on the right foot. I think that echoes your point really well.

I wonder if Leia was a Jedi when they were young and had been able to train them if that would have made a difference. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, it would have been nice for them to have spent more time with the kids. But for that to happen they would have had to step away from public service.

I don't blame them for his fall, because he pretty muched distanced himself on purpose beginning with his search following TUF. He was never as close with any of them when he came back.

However, what I do blame them(and Luke & Mara) for was being blind to his fall in the LOTF series. His actions should have lead them to realize the truth much sooner. I realize there was a certain element of denial involved, but still, you've got to realize your kid is getting out of hand, especially someone with jedi senses.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, I think Leia wasn't around enough as well. Speaking of which who else hated the big 3's portrayal in The Crystal Star?
Luke: He was acting weird the whole time and then he started swearing. Confused
Han: Saying, 'it's okay looking' and chasing after what's her name. So stupid.
Leia: Forsaking her children and, especially at the beginning, she seemed like such an arrogant democrat.

*throws up*

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Yeah, Luke's portrayal in The Crystal Star was one of the worst. I also think he was written badly in The Courtship of Princess Leia. Which was weird, considering how great Han and Leia were in that book. *shrugs*

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 1 of 1